Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - "Benefit" 2CD/DVD remix Collector's edition Oct. 28th

JETHRO TULL - "Benefit" 2CD/DVD remix Collector's edition Oct. 28th

Just in time for Hallowe'en. Vinyl edition also....

http://jethrotull.com/benefit-collec...-to-pre-order/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Auto-buy. My favorite JT LP......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I can't possibly imagine listening to Benefit on anything but vinyl... old scratchy vinyl that is.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Part of me says I gotta have it, part of me says I've loved the album for years like it is, why change? I'll wait for reviews I guess.

I just really wanna hear it in surround.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I wanna heard what Mr. Wilson does to this bad boy.

This site has track listing and comments from Tull fans like us: http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85123

My pre-order is in.Close call between Stand Up and Benefit as my favorite Tull.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Banned
    I'm looking forward to this release. I have enjoyed Wilson's 5.1 work, especially TaaB.

I remember this album fondly as one of my first steps into the world of progressive music, before I had even heard the words progressive music. With a catalog as diverse as Tulls is, it's got to be hard to decide what album to next get the Wilson treatment. I hope A Passion Play comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    This site has track listing and comments from Tull fans like us: http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85123
    Thanks for that! Nice to see the proper track list.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    With a catalog as diverse as Tulls is, it's got to be hard to decide what album to next get the Wilson treatment. I hope A Passion Play comes next.
    I think you'll get your wish; it's been done, and due to come out (along with the Chateau Tapes) next year I believe.

My favorite Tull so it's a go for me.

My second all time favorite Tull and the first with keyboards. And very Progressive.

Benefit has been my favorite album of Jethro Tull. I was quite pleased at the production of it back when it was released and always liked the separation of tracks, left and right, front and back, and don't think that much can be made to make it better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    I remember this album fondly as one of my first steps into the world of progressive music, before I had even heard the words progressive music. With a catalog as diverse as Tulls is, it's got to be hard to decide what album to next get the Wilson treatment. I hope A Passion Play comes next.
    There is another thread around that says that A Passion Play and the Chateau Disaster Tapes will get the Wilson treatment next year.

My favorite Tull album as well; Teacher was prominently featured on the radio in the US in 1970. Agree with separation of tracks statement as far as the individual instruments, the guitars in To Cry You a Song for example.

However, the drums seem to have been recorded with a single mike, and are heard from a single point, unlike Aqualung where the drums are spread out across the speakers as is evident in songs like Aqualung, My God and Hymn 43. Which is too bad when you have such a talent as Bunker playing drums. Don't know if anything can be done about that for 5.1; I guess it depends on how many tracks were used to record the drums, but it sounds like only one track was used.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    My second all time favorite Tull and the first with keyboards. And very Progressive.
    Pretty sure there were keys on Stand Up, although probably played by Ian.

Ordered. Actually, pre-ordered. Along with the 5.1 of Thick as a Brick. Which was not pre-ordered but just ordered.

We few weirdos. Who actually spend actual money for physical product when we can hear the entire album on youtube in a compressed, low bit rate fashion for free.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I can't possibly imagine listening to Benefit on anything but vinyl... old scratchy vinyl that is.
    me too, that's the way it was meant to be heard.

i'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of all these old classic albums redone in 5.1 surround, the idea hurts my brain.

I'm not completely poo-pooing 5.1 mind you... but yeah, I agree.

Gotta resist the urge to buy old music again and again...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Ordered. Actually, pre-ordered. Along with the 5.1 of Thick as a Brick. Which was not pre-ordered but just ordered.

We few weirdos. Who actually spend actual money for physical product when we can hear the entire album on youtube in a compressed, low bit rate fashion for free.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    If there were so few "weirdos", I don't think Mr. Wilson's 5.1 canon would be as ever-expanding as it is...

Kind of OT but the cd version I have of Benefit doesn't have "teacher" on it. Will this version have "teacher" on it. Also, was that just the American version that has "teacher" on it and if so is it still available on cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Kind of OT but the cd version I have of Benefit doesn't have "teacher" on it. Will this version have "teacher" on it.
    Like, three or four times in different mixes if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Also, was that just the American version that has "teacher" on it and if so is it still available on cd?
    Back in the vinyl days, "Teacher" was only on the American album, with British and other European pressings containing "Alive and Well and Living In" instead. "Teacher" was issued as a single in Europe, but it was a completely different version from the one on the US LP--slower and with a different arrangement. IIRC, the most recent Benefit CD was supposed to include the US version of "Teacher" as a bonus track, but used the European version by mistake.