Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - "Benefit" 2CD/DVD remix Collector's edition Oct. 28th

I'll be curious to hear if the remix boosts Glenn Cornick's bass,which always struck me as kinda muffled and indistinct on Benefit.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I'll be curious to hear if the remix boosts Glenn Cornick's bass,which always struck me as kinda muffled and indistinct on Benefit.
    I'd say that is one of my main gripes about Benefit... I didn't find the production all that good... though arguably it's better than Aqsualung, but for totally different reasons.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Cool. Just got notice that my 2 CD/DVD pack is on the way. As someone who is not a Tull fan (never got into Aqualung), I've now bought this and Thick as a Brick on 5.1. Perhaps addd Passion Play on 5.1 after that and call it a day for the Tull 5.1s? Their albums become more normal rock and roll sounding after that, from what I can recall.
    not quite, songs from the woods, heavy horses and broadsword and the beast would all be recommended as still proggish, though the first two are also more folk-flavored, while broadsword marks the intro of more synths and gated drums....still, the first three tracks and a lot of the bonus ones are worth the price of admission....

After listening to the album proper that Steven Wilson re-mixed gotta say I think it's the double-tracked vox that I love, Ian sounds so damn good, and I think Benefit made use of double-tracking far more than any other Tull release.

I've just listened to the 5.1 mix and it sounds very good, although I find the vocals are mixed a little high in the center channel. I got used to it but it was a little jarring at first in "With You There To Help Me". The lower-register vocal seemed a little paler as well. And is it just me, or did Wilson mix the tambourine in "Sossity" even higher than it was before? LOL! I love it though.

Funny to think that in the last few years, I've re-purchased the first five Tull albums in 'special collector's edition' type multi-disc formats... my my, the money I've spent on these guys over the years... Who cares! Bring on A Passion Play/Chateau D'Isaster!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any good bonus tracks? Might get it for the vocals.
    I really hope Warchild is next on the list. 17 songs plus March the mad scientist plus possible studio versions of Beaches part 1 and 2 plus the quad album. This would be a pretty good one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Any good bonus tracks? Might get it for the vocals.
    I really hope Warchild is next on the list. 17 songs plus March the mad scientist plus possible studio versions of Beaches part 1 and 2 plus the quad album. This would be a pretty good one
    PLEASE, NO MORE!! MY WALLET CAN'T TAKE IT!!! Would War Child even receive such a treatment? it's not considered classic Tull.

If anyone wants to sell their Aqualung dvd, please personal message me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've just listened to the 5.1 mix and it sounds very good, although I find the vocals are mixed a little high in the center channel. I got used to it but it was a little jarring at first in "With You There To Help Me". The lower-register vocal seemed a little paler as well. And is it just me, or did Wilson mix the tambourine in "Sossity" even higher than it was before? LOL! I love it though.

Funny to think that in the last few years, I've re-purchased the first five Tull albums in 'special collector's edition' type multi-disc formats... my my, the money I've spent on these guys over the years... Who cares! Bring on A Passion Play/Chateau D'Isaster!
    What says that your 5.1 system is balanced in the first place? One thing about high res, the attack of percussion is preserved leading to the impression by some that the percussion is more up front. The center channel in some systems is just not matched with the L and R, unless the receiver is capable of EQ matching or the center channel speaker is identical to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    broadsword marks the intro of more synths and gated drums....still, the first three tracks and a lot of the bonus ones are worth the price of admission....
    I think the Broadsword remaster blows away the original both in terms of sound and content. The bonus tracks make it a great album; I almost think of it as a companion to "A" in terms of it's synthness.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Would War Child even receive such a treatment? it's not considered classic Tull.
    I'm pretty sure it is by a lot of people, actually, including me. Why wouldn't it be - it's right between A Passion Play and Minstrel...?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    PLEASE, NO MORE!! MY WALLET CAN'T TAKE IT!!! Would War Child even receive such a treatment? it's not considered classic Tull.
    It would easily be on par with a benefit 5.1 with all bonus tracks included

My LP arrived on the Left Coast 10/31 from Burning Shed.....the CD's did not. Was going to give it a spin but it was time for Halloween music to start blaring to disturb the kiddies!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

LMAO @ the suggestion that War Child is not considered 'Classic Tull'. It's smack dab in the middle of the height of Tull's popularity, recorded by what the majority of fans call the quintessential lineup, and reached No. 2 in America. It produced two Classic Rock radio staples in "Bungle" and "Skating Away" and was followed by a highly successful tour.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    LMAO @ the suggestion that War Child is not considered 'Classic Tull'. It's smack dab in the middle of the height of Tull's popularity, recorded by what the majority of fans call the quintessential lineup, and reached No. 2 in America. It produced two Classic Rock radio staples in "Bungle" and "Skating Away" and was followed by a highly successful tour.
    If it helps, I think it's classic Tull. However, many "professional" reviews say otherwise.

Banned
    War Child is Classic rock

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think the Broadsword remix blows away the original both in terms of sound and content. The bonus tracks make it a great album; I almost think of it as a companion to "A" in terms of it's synthness.
    It's not a remix. It's a remaster. The remixed version of the title track can be found on the 25th Anniversary box set.

In my opinion War Child was a big letdown after Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play. Bungle is standard fare in my opinion. I do have War Child on MFSL Gold.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    It's not a remix. It's a remaster. The remixed version of the title track can be found on the 25th Anniversary box set.
    Yet. Steven can only create and work so many hours in the day, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    In my opinion War Child was a big letdown after Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play. Bungle is standard fare in my opinion. I do have War Child on MFSL Gold.
    How could it not be? It's still a good album though, but not as good as MitG by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    How could it not be? It's still a good album though, but not as good as MitG by a long shot.
    Yes I never said it was not a good album. After following Brick and Passion is a hard thing to do? MITG is much better I do agree.

I think the Broadsword remix blows away the original both in terms of sound and content. The bonus tracks make it a great album; I almost think of it as a companion to "A" in terms of it's synthness.
    Content-wise, Broadsword and War Child were the two titles from that series of remasters that gained the most IMO. Both essentially became the double albums they could have been originally. Excellent stuff. And yes, Broadsword certainly is something of a companion to "A", although thematically/lyrically quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    Oops! Soory! Of course it is! A worthy one it is, too!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.

I reckon the drums sounded worse on the broadsword remaster. The bonus songs sound better on the 20th anniversary box set etc. Broadsword needs a proper drum track remix to reduce the reverb and high and low frequencies. Remasters just increase those high and low frequencies and reverb sounds worse. There are about 30 songs which can be included. Would be nice to have a consistent remixed drum sound through every song. Here's a list of tracks for a possible Broadword remix.

beastie
    clasp
    fallen on hard times
    flying colours
    slow marching band
    broadsword
    pussy willow
    watching me watching you
    seal driver
    cheerio
    jack frost and the hooded crow
    jack a lynn
    mayhem maybe
    too many too
    overhang
    rhythm in gold
    i'm your gun
    down at the end of yoour road
    jack a lynn(home version)
    drive on the young side of lights
    crew nights
    commons brawl
    the curse
    no step
    motoreyes
    lights out
    dj(possible studio version)
    dinosaur(possible studio version)

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    jack a lynn(home version)
    LOVE this. More than the finished version.

I like "Crew Nights" a lot too.