Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope - 70s Dutch fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Yeah, a touch. Mostly on one track on the first album, some of it may have been the dude's note choices as well. Not sure why they didn't re-take that solo. I find that happens with some of the second tier bands, particularly the Spanish groups where there always seems to be something wonky going on with a synth sound or part. It's not out enough to really bug me, but you are right.

Bill
    Glad I'm not the only one hearing it. Synthesizers were not that easy to keep in tune, so if there is a limited amount of money available for recording, I can imagine people stick to the first take.

The first one is very good, the second less so. Huge chops all over the place, pleasant ideas but lack of compositional depth, kind of characteristic for this type of mid 70's fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The first two albums have just been released on CD by the German reissue-label Sireena Records
    Anyone heard these? Fact that it is on Sireena makes me think this is actually a legit release and hopefully not a LP-to-CD transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Anyone heard these? Fact that it is on Sireena makes me think this is actually a legit release and hopefully not a LP-to-CD transfer.
    As mentioned above, I have them. The don't sound like needle drops to me. They are not sonic masterpieces, but they sound of a piece with that mid-70s fusion stuff, and these releases seem seem really good quality. Probably from the original masters and then mastered for CD. I'm happy with them!

Bill

As mentioned above, I have them. The don't sound like needle drops to me. They are not sonic masterpieces, but they sound of a piece with that mid-70s fusion stuff, and these releases seem seem really good quality. Probably from the original masters and then mastered for CD. I'm happy with them!

Bill
    To the best of my knowledge (and I tried for a few years) the master tapes are gone. Is it possible Sireena turned them up? Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    To the best of my knowledge (and I tried for a few years) the master tapes are gone. Is it possible Sireena turned them up? Anything is possible.
    I'm listening to the first album now. I hear no evidence it's from vinyl, I struck my ear right in the speaker and I hear nothing, sounds like tape to me. I skimmed the booklet, but there doesn't appear to be anything about the source of the recordings. They only mention is was mastered for CD. Could be the masters, or the master mixdown they used. But I don't think it's vinyl. Bass sounds really beefy.

Actually the whole things sound really quite good, the only glitch is exactly what Renate pointed out, that wonky synth, but that's just in one track. I'm really happy these were reissued, this is worthy stuff!

Bill

Yeah, a touch. Mostly on one track on the first album, some of it may have been the dude's note choices as well. Not sure why they didn't re-take that solo. I find that happens with some of the second tier bands, particularly the Spanish groups where there always seems to be something wonky going on with a synth sound or part. It's not out enough to really bug me, but you are right.
    The most popular synthesizer in Spanish prog was the Farfisa Syntorchestra [sic], which was so cheap (I seem to remember that it retailed for $30 new!) that Farfisa couldn’t afford spell-check. It was sort of a combo lead-line/string synth/electronic piano keyboard in an ugly gray, plastic box. The gnarly, single-oscillator synth was apparently constantly falling out of tune. Surprisingly, the piano sound was unbelievably convincing for an analog piano emulation (compare to those hideous Elka and Crumar electronic pianos that sounded like someone Flamenco dancing on a beehive).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    (compare to those hideous Elka and Crumar electronic pianos that sounded like someone Flamenco dancing on a beehive).
    Here is a Crumar used and to me it works.

And the same piece for orchestra

I think the first version has something special.

I think the same goes for this, also with some kind of electric piano.

Listening to the first album now and loving it. Some of it reminds me of Soft Machine's Bundles.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Hurm View Post
    Some works of the related Rob Franken Keyboard Circle was released on CD a few years back. Henk Zomer was the drummer in both bands. He 's still active in the Dutch jazz scene. Rob Franken was Scope's keyboard player in the final line-up. He died in 1983.
    After 678 Records, that also released Keyboard Circle, made a fine compilation-set on The Rob Franken Electrification-albums in 2018 (on LP) and 2019 (on CD) I contacted them to ask if they would try to release the Scope-albums on CD too. No reaction though.

Straight Jazz fusion... very little Prog! Great playing and both disc are wonderful.

I have been playing Scope I a bunch... it tends to lose me about half-way through and I get distracted

OK I listened to Scope I again with "jazz ears" vs "prog ears"... and it worked much, much better.

It arrived yesterday in the evening and today i will be listening to it. It also has 2 bonus-tracks from the group that Rik Elings and Henk Zomer played in.
    In one of the books on jazz, my dad owns there is a small item about this album with a list of who plays what instrument in which song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    In one of the books on jazz, my dad owns there is a small item about this album with a list of who plays what instrument in which song.
    Being interested in books on music I'm curious about the title of this one. Thanks in advance.

Do you also want the information in the book on the musicians?

Had this on vinyl back in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Thanks!

What is going on on the cover of the first one?
    Looks like someone had an orange or something simular, that was photographed on a black background.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks!
    I looked at it at my dad's and it is the same book.

The nice additions of these re-releases are the liner-notes, recently written by former members Rens Newland and Rik Elings.

The second CD will arive tomorrow, if all goes right. Ordered it before, but for some reason it returned to Amazon, so when I got my money back, I ordered it again.

Years ago I remembered having heard some of their music and IIRC Ken Golden mentioned that I would have really liked to release these albums. I now have both Sireena releases and must say I am thoroughly enjoying both albums. Scope II reminds me a bit of Finnforest's second album.