Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YT Genesis: Live 1973

YT Genesis: Live 1973

Thanks! Looks great!

What does Phil hold in his mouth at 16'45"??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think it's some sort of whistle, but I could be wrong.

Awesome! Are these guys the Musical Box tribute band?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    It is a whistle. He used it quite a bit in his days behind the drum kit. This film has been out for years. Made by Charisma Records, it was recently cleaned up and posted on You-Tube. This and the 1974 French TV film are priceless archives for any fan of the prog-Genesis. Both films will give viewers a true sense of just how great this band was in those days. Both films are must haves!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

amazing to think this film is 40 years old.

This takes me back; I saw them three times that year. From conception to execution, a great band.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This came at the right time for me. Saw a Vancouver area band called Undoing do a night of Genesis material on Saturday night. No theatrics with this band, just a well done night of music in a proper theatre with good sound and lights.

YT???

^ You tube.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

ah ha, but Why is written as YT and why is it there at all? If I'm om youtube I know I'm on youtube. stupid including that in a video title!

Thanks for the link !

(This should be on the front page !!)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ah ha, but Why is written as YT and why is it there at all? If I'm om youtube I know I'm on youtube. stupid including that in a video title!
    It's not a video title, it's the thread title. So, when you see the thread, you know without opening it that it contains a YouTube video of a Genesis show from 1973.

Nothing stupid about it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So, when you see the thread, you know without opening it that it contains a YouTube video of a Genesis show from 1973.
    Well I obviously didn't did I? As I had to ask what YT stood for, I thought it had something to do with Genesis. So you think what you like & I'll think what I like.

Whatever.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Peace.

I've a few questions/observations.

When these transfers are done from film to disc, can't the scratches be removed?

I'd forgotten that Rutherford provided backing vocals. And this coming from a guy who spent more time in college reading album sleeves than textbooks!

Any ideas why Hackett chose to play sitting down? Was he a fan of Fripp? I'm thinking that he didn't wish to detract from PG's stage show because, after PG left the band, he performed standing.

Do you think anyone can hear the tambourine with all of the other musicians bashing away on their instruments? I've always felt that it was "an excuse" to make the performer, usually lead singer, feel useful during a stretch of music sans voce.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So, when you see the thread, you know without opening it that it contains a YouTube video of a Genesis show from 1973.
    As do 90% of all threads on PE.
    <sig out of order>

You are correct.

"I'd forgotten that Rutherford provided backing vocals. And this coming from a guy who spent more time in college reading album sleeves than textbooks!"

Yeah, that was interesting to watch, plus to see him play that rhythm/bass guitar. Also that Tony Banks played some guitar too, which I didn't know that he did.

Hackett: sitting down. I thought he sat some too during his recent live performance videos--but I may be mistaken. His playing generally speaking amazes me. It could be to stay out of movement from Gabriel, who moved around on stage. Sometimes I don't see how some bands don't run into each other while on stage.

[YT]--well, I guess I did that rather than just saying: Genesis: Live 1973 to clue you in that it was a You Tube video rather than some text piece about Genesis or some question about the '73 version of Genesis or what have you.

You start a thread, you can title it whatever you like.

Also that Tony Banks played some guitar too, which I didn't know that he did.
    Just for the record, Tony played guitar on The Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Entangled, and The Cinema Show. I think there might be a couple others, but I think those are the main ones.

Hackett: sitting down. I thought he sat some too during his recent live performance videos--but I may be mistaken. His playing generally speaking amazes me. It could be to stay out of movement from Gabriel, who moved around on stage. Sometimes I don't see how some bands don't run into each other while on stage.
    Well, if the Belgian TV thing from 71 is any indication, Hackett was sitting down even before Gabriel started running around the stage so much. It could be something he took from classical guitar, or maybe he was just most comfortable sitting while playing at the time. And yes, I think at least in the relatively recent past he has occasionally sat onstage. I know on the Somewhere In South America DVD, he sits down for some of the instrumentals.

The thing I find intriguing is how immobile both Hackett and Rutherford are in the various videos that exist from the Gabriel years, but it's a different story on the Trick Of The Tail tour. In the Genesis In Concert film, Hackett's suddenly standing and moving around a bit (but not much, and Rutherford's totally bouncing around the stage. I remember someone suggesting that maybe they felt there needed to be more movement from them with the absence of Gabriel (note also, that Mike and Steve both introduced songs during the Trick tour, perhaps because Phil still hadn't figured out the "communicating to the audience" thing in rehearsals).

But then by the Wind And Wuthering tour, the band reverted to Phil being the only person who talked to the audience, and at least on the footage I've seen from that and subsequent tours, Rutherford's not bouncing around quite as much as he is in Genesis In Concert.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (note also, that Mike and Steve both introduced songs during the Trick tour, perhaps because Phil still hadn't figured out the "communicating to the audience" thing in rehearsals).
    This was considered a failed experiment by the band. Mike was a bit more natural about it, introducing Phil's "tap dance" before "Supper's Ready" and talking about a "craggy old wolf" before introducing "White Mountain". Steve seemed just as nervous as Phil was said to be, but managed to introduce "Entangled" all the same. It's hard to imagine now, isn't it? What a tour that was. Incredible setlist. I have a '76 Rutherford interview on some old cassette, buried in storage at the moment, where he mentions they are considering doing a chronological setlist, and starting off just in jeans and t-shirts for the Trespass era, and continuing on through the albums with the show gradually becoming more grand. Obviously that idea was nixed pretty quickly, likely by Phil (just my guess there) who would not have wanted anything to do with the costumes, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This was considered a failed experiment by the band. Mike was a bit more natural about it, introducing Phil's "tap dance" before "Supper's Ready" and talking about a "craggy old wolf" before introducing "White Mountain". Steve seemed just as nervous as Phil was said to be, but managed to introduce "Entangled" all the same. It's hard to imagine now, isn't it? What a tour that was. Incredible setlist. I have a '76 Rutherford interview on some old cassette, buried in storage at the moment, where he mentions they are considering doing a chronological setlist, and starting off just in jeans and t-shirts for the Trespass era, and continuing on through the albums with the show gradually becoming more grand. Obviously that idea was nixed pretty quickly, likely by Phil (just my guess there) who would not have wanted anything to do with the costumes, etc.
    I always wondered how they ended up doing White Mountain, as far as I can tell, they never played it live during the Gabriel era, or at least if they did, it never turned up on any of the tapes I've ever heard about. It seemed strange to me that they only did it on the Trick tour.

And yeah, I agree they had an incredible setlist on the Trick tour. I've got a couple different bootlegs from that tour, and I think they played really well. On the Pittsburgh and Cleveland shows, Phil certainly doesn't sound like he's nervous. He must have gotten over it awfully quick, since they were only a couple weeks into the tour at that point.

I think probably the best Musical Box show I saw was when they did the Trick show. OK, so the singer wasn't able to pull off sounding like Phil the way he does with Peter. So what?! It was still an awesome performance!

I always wondered how they ended up doing White Mountain, as far as I can tell, they never played it live during the Gabriel era, or at least if they did, it never turned up on any of the tapes I've ever heard about.
    They did in fact. You're correct that it has never surfaced on a boot, but here's a nice little tidbit of trivia if you ever want to try and stump someone: Trespass is the only album where they played every track live before it was recorded. It was essentially their live set at the time. By the time they came to record Trespass, they had dropped "Going Out To Get You" from the live set, so it was not recorded in the studio (although the early piano-based demo was released on the Archive set years later). That one was a contender for the album at the time though. It was resurrected a year or two later with Phil & Steve in the band and played live for a while in a heavier style before being dropped forever, and "Stagnation" lasting only one more tour as well. Only "The Knife" from that album really survived any notable length of time, unless you count the "Stagnation" melody in the later medleys, and of course "White Mountain" on the Trick tour, at Mike's urging (he and Ant Phillips wrote that one). I think it made for a really nice live track, and I liked Banks' sinister keyboards in the section leading up to "Fang, son of Great Fang the traitor we seek...."

Another interesting thing about that Trick setlist was the inclusion of "It" in the encore, leading into the shortened "Watcher" instrumental version. I guess the band liked "It" - or at least, some of them did. As a longtime live Genesis collector, that tour is definitely one of my top setlists.

I think probably the best Musical Box show I saw was when they did the Trick show. OK, so the singer wasn't able to pull off sounding like Phil the way he does with Peter. So what?! It was still an awesome performance!
    I never saw that one. I did see TMB do Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb however (Selling England was the best of the three IMO), and they were just excellent. I've seen The Watch do some Trick material live, and another tribute act called Slippermen did a lot of that Seconds Out-era stuff. Gotta love it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***