Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YT Genesis: Live 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I never saw that one. I did see TMB do Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb however (Selling England was the best of the three IMO), and they were just excellent. I've seen The Watch do some Trick material live, and another tribute act called Slippermen did a lot of that Seconds Out-era stuff. Gotta love it.
    . The Trick show is interesting, because at least when I saw them do it, they had jazz/improv percussionist Gregg Bendian "playing" Bill Bruford. I asked him after the show if he was trying to play like Bill (to reflect the way the band played the songs on the original tour) or if he was trying to play like Phil (as per the studio versions), and I think he said it was actually a mix of the two.

And like with the Selling England and The Lamb shows, they had the slides Genesis used, for instance, during Dance On A Volcano (showing erupting volcanoes, with the slides segueing into actual film footage during the instrumental coda). And they also showed the video Genesis made for Robbery Assault And Battery during that song, which was kind of an interesting twist. And the laser during Sure As Eggs Is Eggs and Los Endos was just amazing (even if it was pretty basic compared to what I've seen bands like Pink Floyd and Rush do with more recent laser technology). I also remember a film being used during Entangled, I think of a sail boat.

The funny thing about the laser, I noticed what looked like a mic stand or pole onstage, which turned out to be the laser projector. It was only after that show that I noticed a similar prop onstage in Genesis In Concert, during Los Endos. But of course, in Genesis In Concert, you never actually see the laser in use, probably because film and laser technology in 1976 weren't compatible to such an extent that you capture the effect on celluloid.

If there was one downer about the Trick show, it was that they didn't do Ripples, but then Genesis didn't do it on the Trick tour either, so that's probably why it was left out of the setlist here.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    they also showed the video Genesis made for Robbery Assault And Battery during that song, which was kind of an interesting twist.

If there was one downer about the Trick show, it was that they didn't do Ripples, but then Genesis didn't do it on the Trick tour either, so that's probably why it was left out of the setlist here.
    Poor Mike Rutherford, getting shot to death in that video! I believe that one is the first example of Tony Banks grudgingly turning in an awkward performance as one of the police constables with the megaphone. There would be quite a few more over the years! Poor guy, so unnatural in front of a camera.

Yeah, it's a shame they never did "Ripples" live until the ATTWT tour. I've always loved Hackett's beautiful guitar throughout that middle instrumental section. Unmistakably him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***