Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rush - Clockwork Angels tour DVD/Blu-ray November 19th

I'm impressed that they played Analog Kid and Force Ten at album speed, which is FAST! I get all tangled up whenever I try to play along with these tunes on bass because I can barely keep up. I figured for sure they would have slowed these songs down. Amazing.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Watched the first half of the Blu Ray version last night and I'm blown away! It is by far the best looking concert DVD I have ever seen. Not only is it filmed beautifully, (not a lot of fast cuts back and forth), but the band is playing really well. Great choice of songs too. Have to say the stage itself has a very clean look about it, and when they show the view from the audience, the wide open stage really seems to make the setting more intimate.

A fantastic DVD if anyone is on the fence about this. Tonight - on to set 2 and CWMF Angels!!!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I kept laughing at Neil... that gocam wasnt in the best place - he looks pained and hunched while he's playing. Relax Neil! Ah well... the man is still an awesome drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I kept laughing at Neil... that gocam wasnt in the best place - he looks pained and hunched while he's playing. Relax Neil! Ah well... the man is still an awesome drummer.
    Yeah, that fish-eye lens effect is not very flattering!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I've watched the whole thing now and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I find Geddy's live vocals a tad on the painful side nowadays though. I admire the hell out of the guy for what he manages to pull off on stage, but he strains SO much vocally now, I found myself actually cringing a few times (though not as much as Live In Cleveland). Anyway, enough about that. I loved the show (I'm a huge fan of the 80s Rush stuff) and I really liked the strings with the Clockwork Angels material. Excellent DVD!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Some random reactions now that this DVD has settled in:

I knew Neil liked to ride his motorcycle lots of places, but I had no clue he currently rides between gigs on tour, while Alex and Geddy fly over him on a private jet!

I would guess that has to be some sort of first, what other major rock star has ever toured their shows across continents riding a motorcycle?

I think I just prefer the sound of Rush live. In general, when I listen to Rush, most of the time, I reach for something live. I just love the way they sound live.

Especially these days vocally, when it seems Geddy is always layering on tracks to "enhance" his vocals. I realize his vocals ain't what they used to be, but I prefer the real raw emotion in his voice live onstage over much of the overproduced studio stuff these days.

Lots of nice moments on this tour and on this DVD. One of the real highlights of the night I saw them on this tour was during the title track when Geddy sings " the people raise their hands...As if to fly"..., the entire arena did exactly that, spontaneously it seemed, along with Geddy and the Orchestra.

Very nice to see the same thing happen on this DVD, it is a real moment of connection between the audience and performer, IMV.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

A good setlist with stunning visuals, but the sound is pretty bad. Though not as muddy as the last Rush DVD I bought (Rush in Rio), it is almost the opposite end of the spectrum - too tinny. Overall, it's very compressed sounding to me and is absolutely exhausting to sit through. Still, it's worth having for me as a document of my first Rush tour, but it's hard on the ears (despite a solid performance from the band).

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

I knew Neil liked to ride his motorcycle lots of places, but I had no clue he currently rides between gigs on tour, while Alex and Geddy fly over him on a private jet!
    That's nothing, Neil used to ride his BICYCLE between gigs on a tour!!!

Quite bummed I missed this tour (had tix, had to move, had to sell tix, grrrr). Palladia had it on last night. Watching the DVR now. And it's quite good. (Though I knew the audio was good from the CD--nice to see the images, too.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

How timely. I finally got around to getting this and watched most of it the other night. If all concert DVDs were this good I'd never need to deal with the hassle of seeing a concert again. An infinitely better viewing and listening experience than actually being there. And I like that they did it sort of documentary style, for example showing what Geddy and Alex are doing during their short breaks.

Great way to break in the new Blue-ray player and surround audio setup.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Quite bummed I missed this tour (had tix, had to move, had to sell tix, grrrr). Palladia had it on last night. Watching the DVR now. And it's quite good. (Though I knew the audio was good from the CD--nice to see the images, too.)
    Thanks again for selling me that ticket...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-