Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albums you hate by bands you love

Albums you hate by bands you love

With a new Flower Kings album on the horizon, I was thinking about how remarkable it is that one of my favorite bands does not have a single album that I'm lukewarm about, let alone hate.

I consider two other favorite bands, Yes and Rush. Both have 4 albums I outright HATE, and a bunch of others I'm lukewarm about.

With Yes, I cannot stand the three "Yes-west" 80's albums. Not from the first listen, and not now. How can I hate something that has Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White and early keyboardist Tony Kaye? Yeah, there are proggy parts but what Trevor Rabin brings to the sound obliterates everything else to my ears. Just can't take the whole package. Can't listen to "Union" either. After that, there are albums I'm lukewarm to, but don't hate - "Open Your Eyes," "Keys to Ascension (studio)", "The Ladder", "Magnification" and "Fly from Here." Each have their moments that stir up feelings of classic Yes.

With Rush, I weathered some of their changes but the following albums I despise: "Counterparts", "Presto", "Roll the Bones" and "Snakes & Arrows." Among the first three, I can listen to the instrumentals and "Dreamline". With S&A, I like "Far Cry" and the instrumentals are decent, but the remaining 9 songs are like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears. Yet in the midst of all that, I liked "Test for Echo" and "Vapor Trails" (and love "Clockwork Angels") , so its not that I just don't like modern Rush.

So which of your favorite bands have albums you hate?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Chicago -- anything from "Hot Streets" on except for "XXV"

The Who -- "Face Dances"

Genesis -- anything from "Shapes" on

King Crimson -- "Islands." I know, I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Pendragon - Passion.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Ehm...

Eloy - Power And The Passion. I love the stretch from Dawn to, well, Metromania, and I also like Inside and Floating. But this album, nah. The only track I like about it is The Bells Of Notre Dame, but that's on many compilations.

Gazpacho - March Of Ghosts. Here we have this band that suddenly made "Night" in 2005, abandoning their first three album-style. Slowly but surely though, the short songs creep back. Missa Atropos showed signs of this decline. March Of Ghosts is worse than the first three albums IMO.

Caravan - "Caravan". For me, the Caravan-string of classics begins at If I Could.. This debut leaves me stone-cold.

Beardfish - "Sleeping In Traffic Part 2". I can't stand the 30-minutes epic on this one, and I think the rest of the material is not on par with the surrounding albums, let alone their masterpiece "The Sane Day"

King Crimson - "Starless And Bible Black". I LOVE Larks and Red, but this one is just noodling to me. I hate the disturbing beginning of 'The Great Deceiver' and it never developes into a good song. The ballads are kinda nice, but the jams in between are boring. Only 'Fracture' is worthwhile. For me, Starless and Bible Black is like "In The Court Of Crimson King" containing only Moonchild, or "Red" containing only Providence.

Not going to start stating albums outside of the classic eras of these "loved bands"

of course I hate 80's Yes, Who and Genesis, and even Crimson, I'm not too fond about, but it's hors de propos (at least in the way I want to answer this thread)

Soooo:

Crimson (good until USA), SaBB is the weak link, but I don't hate it
    Yes: TFTO
    Vanilla Fudge's Beat Goes On. (though Rock'n Roll is not good either)

i'll come back for more

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Ehm...
    Caravan - "Caravan". For me, the Caravan-string of classics begins at If I Could.. This debut leaves me stone-cold.
    May I suggest that you head to your local coffee shop and chose some good jamaican weed and try this again... It's brilliant in its own genre... In some waqys, I prefer this one to the next few. Musically and retrospectively, this is hinge album.... where it all starts...
    Last edited by Trane; 09-15-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Inferno by Tangerine Dream. I died a little inside from this album.

Beaubourg by Vangelis.

Most of Marillion.com.

Most of Lizard and Islands.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I suppose 'In The Hot Seat' - ELP and 'Giant For A Day' - Gentle Giant.

Don't hate them, except in the biblical greek aspect the word, meaning 'loving less':

Genesis - S/T, Invisible Touch (tho I quite like Domino), We Can't Dance
    Pink Floyd - The Wall (some), The Final Cut
    PFM - Most of their post 'Jet Lag' output.
    Yes - Open Your Eyes

perhaps everything post-Red by King Crimson, though there are scattered great tracks (eg Level Five, Matte Kudesai)

ELP -In the Hot Seat
    PF -Everything post Waters
    Yes -OYE & KTA
    Uriah Heep -Conquest
    Genesis -WCD & GTR
    David Bowie -Pin Ups
    Alice Cooper -Raise your fist & yell
    Arena -Pride
    King Crimson -3 of a perfect pair

I hate the 80s Crimson studio releases, but love the material on live albums. They sound very "synthetic" to my ears, but the live versions, particularly "Absent Lovers" gives it new life.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Inferno by Tangerine Dream. I died a little inside from this album.
    Yup. I don't mind the TD vocals on Cyclone or Tyger but the vocals on Inferno crush this album. I feel the same about Purgatorio. I didn't get the third leg of the Dante series, Paradiso. I give Edgar kudos for trying to incorporate the seven female vocalists in a classical meets opera meets new age meets prog setting. It just doesn't work for me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - Just too much Waters continued bile and too little Wright & Gilmour
    Supertramp - Famous Last Words - Way to poppy and twee, clearly a band falling apart
    Mike Oldfield - not really a fan of his late 80's stuff
    Finnegans Wake - The Bird & The Sky Above - switch to free jazz from the more Chamber approach, just not for me
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

love MARiLLiON. hate “somewhere else”. life goes on.

I Love Marillion - they are my favorite band BUT I can not stand 99% of STCBM.
    Sorry, I know so many love it but to each his own. I doubt I will ever listen to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
    Supertramp - Famous Last Words
    Oh man! I love these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    love MARiLLiON. hate “somewhere else”. life goes on.
    I am not that crazy about this either but I love the title song & A Voice From The Past.

Hold Your Fire by Rush

For a while now Marillion is doing an every other album love it/"meh" thing with me. Next one should be a love, if the pattern holds.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    King Crimson - "Starless And Bible Black". I LOVE Larks and Red, but this one is just noodling to me. I hate the disturbing beginning of 'The Great Deceiver' and it never developes into a good song. The ballads are kinda nice, but the jams in between are boring. Only 'Fracture' is worthwhile. For me, Starless and Bible Black is like "In The Court Of Crimson King" containing only Moonchild, or "Red" containing only Providence.
    My favourite album by them. I disagree with everything you wrote except the bit about "Fracture"

Hate is a strong word, but considering I really like most of their other albums, I'm not crazy about this one:

Arena- Contagion

I think the reason I "love" a band or artist is because they don't release albums I dislike. So KC and VdGG/PH and Zappa--I love them. I like Yes, Genesis and ELP because there are albums in their discogs that I'm not going to touch.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The Beatles - Let it be

I wouldn't say 'hate' but the first recording pH recorded that did nothing for me was Skin. To this day I consider it the tipping point to where Hammill's work became inconsistent.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - Just too much Waters continued bile and too little Wright & Gilmour
    Supertramp - Famous Last Words - Way to poppy and twee, clearly a band falling apart
    Mike Oldfield - not really a fan of his late 80's stuff
    Finnegans Wake - The Bird & The Sky Above - switch to friee jazz from the more Chamber approach, just not for me
    No Wright at all on TFC...
    as for FLW, indeed, the weaker one (along with the piss-poor Stamped) albums of the band in the 70's & 80's.

and yes for FW
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I kind of hate threads like this. Why would I want to talk about things I hate when talking about my favorite artists? I choose not to listen to those albums I find substandard, or just play the songs I happen to like and skip the ones I don't. While I find Roll the Bones by Rush to be fairly a weak effort, I sure love to play "Where's My Thing". For that alone, the album is worthwhile for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I Love Marillion - they are my favorite band BUT I can not stand 99% of STCBM.
    Yep, very much my take as well.

I didn't stick with Yes after Drama or ELP after Works, so can't comment on a few albums that seem to be getting a lot of mentions here.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?