Thread: 1 CD vs. special 2 CD sets

1 CD vs. special 2 CD sets

I have noticed that some of the newer prog releases have come out with one CD, but then the bands have released a special edition as well in the 2 CD format for a little more money.

I see the new Spock's Beard is this way, The Fower Kings' Banks of Eden came out in the fashion, and I think one of the past Steve Hackett releases as well.

Are any of these 2 CD releases worth seeking out? Or if you're a fan of the bands, it's an instant buy to just go ahead and get the 2 CD release?

I typically get the single CD version of albums, unless there are additional new songs that are not on the regular release.

I'm not interested in alternate versions, remixes, studio chatter, interviews or poorly recorded live material. I might play that stuff once and then never again. I have a few discs where I've bought the double version and have never played the second disc.

For new releases, I'll generally try and get the special editions assuming that the bonus disc isn't just "instrumental versions" as I often don't see the point. One exception for me is The Ocean's Pelagial where the music stands up without vocals (I digress).

There are sometimes good bits of music on the bonus discs, the Steve Hackett bonus on Beyond The Shrouded Horizon was quite lovely and showed off his playing a lot (from memory). For re-issues, it depends what's being added. If it's just demos then I may do, live stuff is often a must buy for me.

Many times these SEs on labels like Inside Out and K-Scope are a modest bump in price, making the decision easier to make. And if it's a group I've already invested a lot of time and money in, it's even easier.

Harder decisions for me are these guys like Steven Wilson, who just announced the "Drive Home" album which is essentially some live songs, edits, and one unreleased track, something that will end up costing close to a full CD price to obtain.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Normally I prefer just a one CD album but in recent years the trend has been to release an album with a bonus disk (or an EP) with the new album. Years ago when I bought Spock's Beard - Octane I pulled the trigger and got the 2-disk album because everyone raved about the bonus disk. The bonus disk was better than the actual album. That was disappointing. I ended up getting rid of it anyway.

Black Sabbath 13 came in 3 different sets. I would've gotten the regular, 1-CD edition but I'd heard a couple of the bonus tracks in advance and I knew I'd want those tracks, so I spent the extra 4-5 bucks for the 2 CD set. No regrets whatsoever. The funny thing is that both CDs fit on one CDr. They could've fit the whole thing on one CD, but then it would make the album 70 minutes (or however long it is) long.

I have mixed feelings about all this. Sometimes I don't know if this is just a way to gouge fans into paying more for something. On the other hand you want to get as much music for your buck, and if one of your favorite bands has extra material they want to release as a bonus, separate from the album proper, then that's fantastic.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 09-14-2013 at 07:17 AM.

I usually go for the special edition. The latest Spiritual Beggars album "Earth Blues" special edition was a live set, which I wanted to hear with the new singer doing some of the older material. The last couple of Flower Kings special editions were worthwhile as well as the SE of Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind".

Perhaps the best I've seen is Symphony X's latest, "Iconoclast". The special edition was an additional 30+ minutes of music; five songs that were every bit as good as the single disc. They could have easily held onto these tunes, recorded another two songs and released it as a separate album later on. Anyone who only bought the single disc of this album is really missing out.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I like having a second disk. Especially if they include other features like studio shots, outtakes etc... Since the CD is such a poor platform for Artwork. I wish more bands would release a bonus disk, even a CDR with the artwork expanded to a decent size in a JPG, and perhaps an audio interview on MP3... It would be akin to the Stuff that we used to get on a 12" album, only on steroids. I almost never bother to try to look at artwork on CD's - its such a joke. Its like the scene in Waynes World where Garth says "Dude, if your gonna spew, spew in this.." and he holds up a little tiny cup. "Dude, if you want to know about our band - look at this..." and you need a magnifying glass to see names of the songs.

You can get CDR's made for about 20 cents a piece, why not throw in one with some decent artwork and bonus features? You could even add the CD in MP3 format for convenience. It wouldn't cost all that much and you can charge me an extra buck or two for it and I'm not going to whine.

Those are some good ideas for bands concerning bonus features to go along with the CD. I'm a little torn at times whether to spring for the added disc--I usually don't. Another cool idea, but would probably cost more money is to add a DVD performance. Even if it wasn't overly produced, and shot on a shoe string, that might be fun to see them in some venue.

It's funny that I mention price, but things are costly these days, but back in the day when I was buying Beatle albums and then re-buying them on disc, I didn't mind that they only tracked in at around 30 minutes per disc. That said too, I have to appreciate some bands like The Flower Kings earlier releases tracking in at such longer times. Some may view this as noodling, but if you are a fan of the band, one man's noodles are another man's feast.

Both 1st and 2nd Transatlantic albums have Special Edition 2 CD versions, which is insanely hard to find nowadays for any reasonable amount of money, but I never regretted having those for more insight into the album-making process... plus they offer several hilarious cover versions... and alternate takes, like We All Need Some Light with Roine on lead vocals
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I'll go for the double if I'm going to buy the release. Especially if the 2nd disc is a DVD.

"Too much of a good thing" is an oxymoron.

I like what Crimson did with the 40th edition you also get the 30th which is cool.