Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Musings on Genesis Revisited II

I keep returning to the versions of "Blood On The Rooftops" and "Lamia". Never cared for the original The Lamb so Lamia with delicate "neo prog vox" of Nik Kershew was a revelation.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

First impressions: The sound to very impressive, which is what I have come to expect from SH. All the better because the production on some of those early Genesis albums left a bit to be desired. The song selections are top notch but then again there isn't much from this period that I don't appreciate.

What I miss is that on the first album, SH took some of the songs and rearranged them. I gave those songs a new identity and was more adventurous. True some did not turn out so well, but I liked what they did. On Revisited II, the songs stayed much closer to the originals. To me this makes it more of a cover band album, albeit a very good cover band. It does not make you want to replace the originals. It also makes me appreciate the singing of Peter Gabriel and especially Phil Collins even more.

I'll see if my opinion changes after a few more spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    True some did not turn out so well, but I liked what they did.
    So are you saying that you like the ones that didn"t work so well?

Quote Originally Posted by logicmandoo View Post
    So are you saying that you like the ones that didn"t work so well?
    Maybe I could have phrased it better but I liked that they tried to rearrange some songs and took some chances on Revisited I instead of just tweaking the originals. There are very few places on II that I found an improvement to the original and there is no new excitement because there is very little change. SH albums have oddities, change of paces and unexpected twists in his albums and this really has none. It plays like a very good cover band and I like the original singers better.

Banned
    I am spinning this again after putting it down for awhile. Let's see if it still holds up. Btw, does anyone have the link so I can know who sings on which parts of Supper's Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed Hackett's take on "Your Own Special Way" on the first "Genesis Revisited" album. The "smoov jazz" version of this song suddenly gets a kick in the pants with Hackett's soaring guitar solo.
    Genesis? Jazz? Tain't nothin' jazz-like - smooth, smoov or otherwise -about "Your Own Special Way." Eek!

Reference to Mike's comment on Steve's worK:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mike-...-genesis-past/

Not too bashing and I understand Mike's point. Don't necessarily agree with it but if you played the same 50 songs for the last 50 years, I think any musician would grow tired of the songs and want to do something new. But, Steve, didn't have 50 years with GENESIS so his perspective is totally different.

Jim

Played all of disc one while cleaning the house over Christmas vacation and it's still pretty great if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I am spinning this again after putting it down for awhile. Let's see if it still holds up. Btw, does anyone have the link so I can know who sings on which parts of Supper's Ready?
    I think this is it
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep. Thanks, Scott.

So far this LP holds well for me. Finally Genesis material at a decent sonic quality. I have no qualms about the music, it just soars for me. I have severe reservations, though, about the vocals - no one can replace PG, but I'm sitting on the edge with this.

Still, I have a ticket to the Bristol show in Oct. & we'll see. As someone who never had the opportunity to see the real Genesis, this is probably the best I can ever hope for.
    Last edited by bsk; 04-18-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Can utility just kills. The lush arrangements really make it brilliant, far better than the original.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent