Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prog/Fusion/And the AudioPhile..Just wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    maybe not, but you can get bass shaKers and attach them to your seat!
    When I was in pro-audio we used to play with those acoustic transducers (like the Dayton Exciter) doing stuff like screwing them to chairs. They worked, but it took buttloads of power.

And they burned out REAL easily -- very limited in SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Too bad nobody markets an air cannon for this -- and no, I'm not kidding.
    Years ago I played my bass guitar through a tri-amped system that used a Servodrive for the extreme lows. This was a six string bass, with a low B. And let me tell you, no air cannons were needed.

I'm definitely a gearhead. I have two nice systems but the primary system consists of a McIntosh solid state amp and pre-amp, two B&W speakers, a Sony CD player/burner and a Music Hall turntable w/Ortofon cartridge. And a big dog with a bad attitude to guard it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    And a big dog with a bad attitude to guard it.
    Nipper?

Some of you guys have some really nice systems...good for you! Mine is considerably more modest, but I did just buy an NAD C BEE316 integrated amp and the thing is just beautiful. It's feeding a pair of speakers that my grandfather made and the dynamics are so explosive. Plus, the low end is wonderfully voiced. For those who may be suspicious about the whole high-end audio thing, I don't think you could go wrong buying one of these. It set me back $380, and although that's a not inconsiderable chunk of change for me, it's totally and completely worth it.

I've been listening to lots of classical and jazz lately, for some reason, but last night on a whim I threw on Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe and the sound just floored me. And it was only a 320 kbps mp3 being fed via Apple AirPort! I should try the CD tonight once the kids are asleep...

I also have a Music Hall turntable which is my first "real" turntable after years of vintage hand-me-downs. This feeds an NAD preamp which is really nice too. I would like my next turntable to be my last. My father has a really nice Music Hall that I'm considering for some time down the road, but I also want to check out some of the Rega offerings.

Cabling by RadioShack.

NP: Clifford Brown/Max Roach

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Some of you guys have some really nice systems...good for you! Mine is considerably more modest, but I did just buy an NAD C BEE316 integrated amp and the thing is just beautiful. It's feeding a pair of speakers that my grandfather made and the dynamics are so explosive. Plus, the low end is wonderfully voiced. For those who may be suspicious about the whole high-end audio thing, I don't think you could go wrong buying one of these. It set me back $380, and although that's a not inconsiderable chunk of change for me, it's totally and completely worth it.

I've been listening to lots of classical and jazz lately, for some reason, but last night on a whim I threw on Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe and the sound just floored me. And it was only a 320 kbps mp3 being fed via Apple AirPort! I should try the CD tonight once the kids are asleep...

I also have a Music Hall turntable which is my first "real" turntable after years of vintage hand-me-downs. This feeds an NAD preamp which is really nice too. I would like my next turntable to be my last. My father has a really nice Music Hall that I'm considering for some time down the road, but I also want to check out some of the Rega offerings.
    Sounds like you are doing just fine in the audio department. No need to denigrate any of the fine equipment you mentioned.

I'd be interested to know what sort of DIY speaks your grandfather built for you. I am a DIY guy myself. There are some very fine DIY speaker kits and proven projects that will outperform commercial speakers for a fraction of the $$.

For example, $1000 in parts and some time/labor can result in a pair of speakers that will rival commercial speakers in the $5000+ range.

Jim Holtz' and Curt Cambell's Statements for instance -

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements.html
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I'd be interested to know what sort of DIY speaks your grandfather built for you.
    I honestly don't know if he even built them from a kit. He was an engineer for PanAm and after he retired he got really interested in speakers. I was too young to be aware of what he was doing, but he and my father apparently bonded over their shared love of audio.

After my grandfather died, we were cleaning out his house and found a pair of floorstanding speakers and I claimed them. They have served me well for many years but I'm beginning to suspect that I may need to replace them. Some years ago, the baffles around the woofers started to fall apart and I had to put new drivers in; they haven't been the same since. Plus, our living room is pretty small and these things are so big that they absolutely dominate it visually. I'm thinking about getting some bookshelf speakers in the near future, although I can't quite bear to part with my grandfather's. (I'll probably end up keeping them in the basement.)

I've considered trying to build my own but I don't trust my technical skills (which are asymptotically approaching nil).

NP: Charles Mingus Epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I've considered trying to build my own but I don't trust my technical skills (which are asymptotically approaching nil).
    You should. It's fun and informative and affordable.

And you get to see other peoples' attempts, like these:
    http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-stylish-pvc-pipe-speakers/
    http://picasaweb.google.com/11039132...36737375963938
    http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-or-diy-part-2
    http://www.designbuzz.com/diy-projec...cary-speakers/
    http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Regards,

Duncan