Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson interview..

Jon Anderson interview..

http://www.examiner.com/article/jon-...ns-40-years-on
    It's not like Tales hasn't been talked about here before.. with that said.. I've heard for years the stories about how Jon
    had the studio made up to look like a country scene... anyone ever seen photos of the haybales, cutout cows etc?
    Got to be the most Spinal Tap moment in Yes' colored history...

Nice interview and story. It's always cool when the interviewer is so obviously familiar with who he's interviewing. I enjoyed the little analysis of the themes on Tales.

But the takeaway for me is that there was no indication that the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman thing will ever take off, which is really about the only thing I'm interested in from Anderson these days. Oh well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nice interview and story. It's always cool when the interviewer is so obviously familiar with who he's interviewing. I enjoyed the little analysis of the themes on Tales.
    Agreed. I'm sure Henry will archive that since it's good to get Jon on record getting into the details behind something like Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm sure Henry will archive that
    Done!

H
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Best thing I've seen written about Tales. The questions are so smart that Jon says a lot we haven't heard before.

That is a fantastic interview. Nice to see an interviewer who appreciates and knows his stuff

Good to see Anderson embrace the critical epithet "progressive rock" without irony, self-consciousness, or as a backhanded compliment. Where others run from it, he flies the flag. Kudos!

That Tales is in the hermetic tradition of the ancient Mystery schools doesn't mean that it's incomprehensible, only that its "revealing" requires some effort to apprehend (or only poses more questions worth pondering). So, let the Maened critics have their three-chord wonders; a continuing search for the lost chord holds more appeal for some of us....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Good to see Anderson embrace the critical epithet "progressive rock" without irony, self-consciousness, or as a backhanded compliment. Where others run from it, he flies the flag. Kudos!

That Tales is in the hermetic tradition of the ancient Mystery schools doesn't mean that it's incomprehensible, only that its "revealing" requires some effort to apprehend (or only poses more questions worth pondering). So, let the Maened critics have their three-chord wonders; a continuing search for the lost chord holds more appeal for some of us....
    What a fantastic post. I kid you not - perhaps because it is written from my 'side' as a Tales lover... or simply because of how well written it is. Whatever the case, I say honestly in a state of reasonable sobriety - I loved reading that!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I think the stories of Tales are true. I remember reading in the liner notes to the Rhino remaster that electronic utters were placed in the studio.

Super interview.

Thanks for the link.

I love the way the interviewer manages to go back and forth and touch on almost all of Yes's and Jon's work.

I especially love the part about Olias, and how Tales and Relayer were preludes to that. The part about Jon learning all those instruments in his garage 8 hours a day was stunning.

Very human. Very eye-opening.

I am also glad, of course, that Tales is being taken more seriously now. I have loved it from the start (though at first I did a little head-scratching), and always wondered why so many dismissed it as a waste. It's the best.

Wonderful read - thank you for sharing the link

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Some great insights to the best album ever made. It just comes to me as I'm typing; wouldn't it be amazing for Jon to do a video commentary on Tales like Chris done on the recent release of Fish Out of Water. That would be something. There could be an alternative commentary from Rick who goes through it slating it to death.

wow, 40 years! Jon Anderson should put together a supergroup tour the whole album for it's anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    wow, 40 years! Jon Anderson should put together a supergroup tour the whole album for it's anniversary.
    Let me be the first to suggest Squire, White, Howe, and Wakeman. They could call it Yes!

I think Transatlantic doing it would be more likely.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I think the stories of Tales are true. I remember reading in the liner notes to the Rhino remaster that electronic utters were placed in the studio.
    Since you CAN hear vocalizations on Tales I'd say this is sort of true.

You mean "udders"?
    <sig out of order>

He meant nipples.

Teats?
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    This news about a Wakeman tour is cool:
    JON: Not at the moment. I spoke with Rick a couple weeks ago, and he’s getting ready for a tour next year. It’s going to be the big Henry VIII Journey to the Centre of the Earth, a big tour. But he actually said to me he had some new music he wanted to have ready in a couple weeks, and I said, “Please,” because we might as well continue writing together, because we respect and love each other very much. And I’ll be doing an East Coast tour this April. That’s in the spring time. Keeping busy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Let me be the first to suggest Squire, White, Howe, and Wakeman. They could call it Yes!
    Just give it up. There's one of these in every thread. I agree with Scott that an Anderson and Transatlantic team-up would be great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Just give it a rest already. There's one of these in every thread. I agree with Scott that an Anderson and Transatlantic team-up would be great. So, the Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin project is dead?

Just give it a rest already. There's one of these in every thread.
    You should report him to the administrator of this message board!

Banned

Chill, Corky. Life goes on. I'm sure that Jon Anderson and Yes will be reunited one day.

Just give it up.

I say they should form a band with Jon, Jon, Jon, Jon and Jon and they can call themselves JIF's Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Teats?
    Tits