Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some new horror movies

Prey--I guess qualifies as horror/SF another Predator tale, I liked it for what it was
    A Quite Place II--another SF/Horror, enjoyed that one as well
    Malignant--I enjoyed the craziness of this one
    The Deep House--sort of Blair Witch underwater, sort of meandered for me
    Army of the Dead--more zombies, but I enjoyed the action of it
    The Empty Man--pretty decent

[QUOTE=interbellum;1145678]
    - Trollhunter

Cheers for this....loved it! Crazy, quirky, and I loved the scenery and Norwegian culture and folklore.

binged watched St Maud and Lamb. Maud was just plain weird and incomprehensible and Lamb i didn't consider horror at all. it only got strange at the end but that scene wasn't even explained.
    as far as Audition, IMDB had 5 or 6 with that exact name and a couple others called The Audition. i'm assuming people who saw it were referring to the Japanese version from 1999 which was the only one listed as a horror film. in any case, it's not available on Amazon nor as a stream using my firestick apps.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    binged watched St Maud and Lamb. Maud was just plain weird and incomprehensible and Lamb i didn't consider horror at all. it only got strange at the end but that scene wasn't even explained.
    as far as Audition, IMDB had 5 or 6 with that exact name and a couple others called The Audition. i'm assuming people who saw it were referring to the Japanese version from 1999 which was the only one listed as a horror film. in any case, it's not available on Amazon nor as a stream using my firestick apps.
    That one can be rented on Apple TV and Vudu, and free w/ ads on Tubi, Free on Kanopy (for public library members), and some other services I've never heard of or who's logos are too hard for my eyes to read on my iPhone! (I'm using the JustWatch app, which makes it really easy to see where you can rent and stream movies.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    Audition is free over at Tubi.

I really enjoyed St. Maud, if you want to know more about the film there are several explanations over at YT explaining it. I didn't find it incomprehensible tho even without any explanations. That was the director's first film, irrc, but I thought she did a great job, and loved all the different camera angles and viewpoints.

2022 horror I need to see:

Terrifier 2

Mad God (shudder original...stop motion animation film)

Hellbender (shudder original...witches!)

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

And...

X

Barbarian

I didn't care much for X--ymmv. I guess if you like horror it's worth a watch, but I thought the villains were pretty lame, and the director was really trying hard for a Texas Chainsaw vibe or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I didn't care much for X--ymmv. I guess if you like horror it's worth a watch, but I thought the villains were pretty lame, and the director was really trying hard for a Texas Chainsaw vibe or something.
    I'm a big old school slasher fan and have been told it would be up my alley...we'll see!

X definitely has a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe and that's part of why I liked it so much. There are a few good kill scenes as well and I loved the dread that kept on building. Has a great 70s atmosphere. Ti West has gotten better and better, IMO.

I'm hoping to see Smile this weekend at the theater. Klonk, Barbarian is worth seeing too. Looks like Shudder is having some decent originals in the month of October as well. I didn't care much for Hellbender, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Been curious about that one too. Do you happen to know what service it is one?
    Hi, Steve. I think I watched it on HBO or HBO Max.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hi, Steve. I think I watched it on HBO or HBO Max.
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    X definitely has a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe and that's part of why I liked it so much. There are a few good kill scenes as well and I loved the dread that kept on building. Has a great 70s atmosphere. Ti West has gotten better and better, IMO.

I'm hoping to see Smile this weekend at the theater. Klonk, Barbarian is worth seeing too. Looks like Shudder is having some decent originals in the month of October as well. I didn't care much for Hellbender, but YMMV.
    And Ti West has another one out now called Pearl and have heard good things. I watched Hellbender last night and thought it was pretty cool actually. The budget is low and the pace is slow, but thought it did well with what it had. I kinda dug how it got darker as it rolled along. It's no The Witch but hit the spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    And Ti West has another one out now called Pearl and have heard good things. I watched Hellbender last night and thought it was pretty cool actually. The budget is low and the pace is slow, but thought it did well with what it had. I kinda dug how it got darker as it rolled along. It's no The Witch but hit the spot for me.
    Hey Scott...if you liked Hellbender you might like that same team's previous film. Again...a bit of a slow burn and definitely low budget but does a great job with what it's got:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hey Scott...if you liked Hellbender you might like that same team's previous film. Again...a bit of a slow burn and definitely low budget but does a great job with what it's got:

Yes thanks! I did a little research on the Adams family and saw this

Here is a review for Audition (the Japanese movie, by Takashi Miike) that gives you a sense of how deeply the horror goes, without spoiling anything. It is deeply disturbing.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...dition-review/
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Audition was great. The potato sack scene? ...definitely not new horror though.

just remembered Antlers. i might have to rewatch it though since it's been a while since i watched it.

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Letterboxd listed its top 25 horror movies for 2022. I guess there was or is some type of voting going about the list. At any rate, if anyone is interested. The only two I've seen is Fresh, which I thought was pretty decent, and Crimes of the Century, which I found totally boring.

Letterboxd listed its top 25 horror movies for 2022. I guess there was or is some type of voting going about the list. At any rate, if anyone is interested. The only two I've seen is Fresh, which I thought was pretty decent, and Crimes of the Century, which I found totally boring.
    I haven't seen many movies on that list; just a handful really. I seem to be the only person who didn't care for The Black Phone. I was really underwhelmed, especially since the director and Ethan Hawke did Sinister together, which I thought was really good. I enjoyed Speak No Evil; a good slow burn although in some respects, it's barely a horror film until the ending. Which was surprisingly brutal.

And here's one from Rotten Tomatoes...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...movies-ranked/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone seen the movie "Possum?" Looks kind of interesting.

There's a trailer here: https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/possum

I have seen:

Nope
    Black Phone
    Barbarian

I would not really call Nope a horror movie, more science fiction IMO. Black Phone and Barbarian were both good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would not really call Nope a horror movie, more science fiction IMO.
    I wouldn't really call it a horror movie per se either. But there were a few scenes that were horrific, and one in particular that I found incredibly uncomfortable and disturbing -- once I realized what was actually going on.

Loved it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

X heavily "borrowed" from the following films:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Friday the 13th
    Suspiria
    Carrie
    Jaws
    Psycho
    The Visit
    the Bride of Frankenstein