Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some new horror movies

Watched this on Shudder last night...

Nothing mind-blowing, but very unsettling with incredibly creepy atmosphere and great setting at an isolated farmhouse. The use of sounds was especially creepy...constant wind, goats, wind chimes, creaks, howls really added to the creepiness. Pretty decent horror, definitely gave me some goosebumps and jumps that had me shaking my fist
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Saw The Black Phone yesterday, I thought it held its tension pretty well thru the picture. One of the better horror films I've seen in a while.

A couple of 80s gems that somehow slipped by me : Next of Kin (1982) Australian horror about an isolated retirement home with dark secrets. This is a quality made film and a favorite of Quentin Tarantino. White of the Eye (1982) Insane performance by Brian Keith as a serial killer on the loose in Arizona.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Watched this on Shudder last night...

Nothing mind-blowing, but very unsettling with incredibly creepy atmosphere and great setting at an isolated farmhouse. The use of sounds was especially creepy...constant wind, goats, wind chimes, creaks, howls really added to the creepiness. Pretty decent horror, definitely gave me some goosebumps and jumps that had me shaking my fist
    Yeah, Shudder has quite a few winners. I'm watching Deadstream this morning, great satire of Youtuber personalities.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yeah, Shudder has quite a few winners. I'm watching Deadstream this morning, great satire of Youtuber personalities.
    Along similar lines, I thought that Sissy was enjoyable too. Nothing groundbreaking but worth watching.

So yeah...Deadstream was a solid B+ in my book. Not a slam dunk but definitely fun and had a LOT of fun at the expense of YT personality types.

I think next week there's a new Dario Argento release (!) and the week after is V/H/S/99. Not everyone loves the VHS anthologies but I adore them, and can't wait to see the next chapter.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Since no one in particular asked, here's a few of my recent faves on Shudder:

Deadstream
    Glorious (this was unexpectedly TERRIFIC)
    Moloch
    The Cellar
    Broadcast Signal Intrusion
    The Beach House

Since no one in particular asked, here's a few of my recent faves on Shudder:

Deadstream
    Glorious (this was unexpectedly TERRIFIC)
    Moloch
    The Cellar
    Broadcast Signal Intrusion
    The Beach House
    I enjoyed most of those too. Shudder had a sneak presentation of the new Dario Argento film last Saturday at 10 but I was too drunk to watch it Glorious sure was interesting. I enjoyed Moloch too but then I usually find that the foreign stuff is better than the North American Shudder originals. All the Moons is great, but it's more fantasy Guillermo Del Toro style than true horror.

The Dark and The Wicked was pretty creepy....I dug it.

What Josiah Saw

Speak No Evil (although hints at Aster and Haneke seem artistically troubling)

A Dark Song (I absolutely love this to pieces; a scorching and harrowingly sad, dreadful but eventually gorgeous tale of redemption)

I've been on a seriously heavy folk-horror binge for a few weeks now (https://www.flickchart.com/Charts.as...+Horror&page=7). There's also this guy: https://unwinnable.com/2015/02/10/recent-horror-movies/ He makes several points of interest and keeps me coming back, although his list also contains some mophing.

It disturbs me a bit to note how many younger folks seemingly don't "get" the scares or even the determining artistic qualities of widely acknowledged classics such as The Haunting, The Innocents, The Exorcist, Don't Look Now or The Vanishing. Select contemporary works of genre are obviously not esteemed or acclaimed on narrows of formality in moviemaking but rather as to what "attitudes" or "views" are ripe and decided on for reasons of fitting into moral assignments or expectancies surrounding. Get Out, for instance, was not a particularly fabulous film.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Folk horror-absolutely love that subgenre. I have Severin's stupidly expensive but enormous box set All the Haunts Be Ours. Not all the movies are great, but they're all worth watching. The three hour documentary is great too. The Wicker Man still probably remains my favorite of all folk horror films.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What Josiah Saw

Speak No Evil (although hints at Aster and Haneke seem artistically troubling)

A Dark Song (I absolutely love this to pieces; a scorching and harrowingly sad, dreadful but eventually gorgeous tale of redemption)

I've been on a seriously heavy folk-horror binge for a few weeks now (https://www.flickchart.com/Charts.as...+Horror&page=7). There's also this guy: https://unwinnable.com/2015/02/10/recent-horror-movies/ He makes several points of interest and keeps me coming back, although his list also contains some mophing.

It disturbs me a bit to note how many younger folks seemingly don't "get" the scares or even the determining artistic qualities of widely acknowledged classics such as The Haunting, The Innocents, The Exorcist, Don't Look Now or The Vanishing. Select contemporary works of genre are obviously not esteemed or acclaimed on narrows of formality in moviemaking but rather as to what "attitudes" or "views" are ripe and decided on for reasons of fitting into moral assignments or expectancies surrounding. Get Out, for instance, was not a particularly fabulous film.
    There are some great newer films in that second list. Was really happy to see Ben Wheatley represented on there. And I don't generally think of Resolution as horror, but I definitely love that film.

Exorcist will forever be in my top 10. I love that one of the scariest films of all time actually has very few jump scares (ironically, the only one that still makes me jump every time is simply a phone ringing).

This one isn't purely folk horror, but it has some of that DNA and is a good indie flick. Kind of fascinating how it was made too (won't bore folks here, but it's online).

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Folk horror-absolutely love that subgenre. I have Severin's stupidly expensive but enormous box set All the Haunts Be Ours. Not all the movies are great, but they're all worth watching. The three hour documentary is great too. The Wicker Man still probably remains my favorite of all folk horror films.
    Same here. Especially this time of year. Loved that documentary and will have to look for that box set. Wicker Man is a staple here around Halloween.

A couple more recent Netflix folk horrors I thought were pretty decent are The Ritual and Apostle

Watched a Shudder flick you guys mentioned earlier called Glorious...fuckin' bizarre! Interesting take on the rest stop glory hole An agitated dude stops at a rest stop and gets stuck in the bathroom...and there ya go. Actually quite liked this!

There are some great newer films in that second list. Was really happy to see Ben Wheatley represented on there. And I don't generally think of Resolution as horror, but I definitely love that film.

Exorcist will forever be in my top 10. I love that one of the scariest films of all time actually has very few jump scares (ironically, the only one that still makes me jump every time is simply a phone ringing).

This one isn't purely folk horror, but it has some of that DNA and is a good indie flick. Kind of fascinating how it was made too (won't bore folks here, but it's online).

That looks right up my alley. Will have to go look for it...

i just remembered The Perfection. it stars the same gal who played the girlfriend in Get Out.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I saw Smile yesterday. I really liked it a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDK...amountPictures

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) on Shudder. For 1981 this movie was great! Low cheese factor and great acting, creepy vibes, good story...really really dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) on Shudder. For 1981 this movie was great! Low cheese factor and great acting, creepy vibes, good story...really really dug it.
    Not to mention that killer ending! I own this on bluray and watch it every year around Halloween. Scared the candy corns outta me when I was a budding 10 year old horror fan This and Gargoyles are two of my favorite made for TV horror movies from back then.

I have Severin's stupidly expensive but enormous box set All the Haunts Be Ours. Not all the movies are great, but they're all worth watching.
    It will be arriving here tomorrow

wow nice, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's even more amazing that Dark Night of the Scarecrow was a made for TV movie! It scared the crap out of me in 1981 as an 11 year old. It still has a great atmosphere about it. I think the only other TV horror movie that really scared me that I can think of is Salem's Lot.

I haven't seen it in ages, but I loved Gargoyles.

I saw Smile yesterday. I really liked it a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDK...amountPictures
    We were planning to see it today and it is already gone from our theater. I guess I will have to try to catch it at home on a service.

Witchfinder General--1968 horror with Vincent Price

Folk horror-absolutely love that subgenre. I have Severin's stupidly expensive but enormous box set All the Haunts Be Ours. .
    I just ordered it this morning for ~$140 with free shipping. While that seems pricey, it's well under what many other sellers are asking. Ebay seller blowitoutahere still has a few left, if anyone is interested.