Thread: Why I Love Dillinger Escape Plan

Why I Love Dillinger Escape Plan

I've got to admit this is a far cry from Kansas, but hey, a fella can love both!

Dillinger Escape Plan are certainly unique, straddling the not so fine line between Punk, Prog, Metal, Metalcore, Alternative, and Post just about all of those. Really it comes down to two styles, the aggressive, energetic and chaotic screams of Greg Puciato and the complex guitar work of Founder/Composer, Benjamin Weinman. The band bears many similarities to The Mars Volta, super-intellectual Guitarist and a super-charismatic Front Man surrounded by super-talented musicians, even Gil Sharone of Stolen Babies took a turn on drums.

The true reason I think they are freaking awesome is that over the course of the same song the listener will experience mind-boggling compositional complexity along with pure aggression fueled vocals.

So samples to whet your appetite -

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Yes, they're good. But I always find it a bit telling that their best release - AFAIC - was that EP they did with Patton, Irony Is a Dead Scene.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ and it is still the only release I have from them. I should prolly do something about that one of these days.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I remember hearing these kids a while back and being unimpressed...but, that was kind of before I had my ears "recalibrated" Their latest has popped up repeatedly in my Amazon Recommendations so maybe I'lll give it a whirl.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I like them! I don't really like Kansas, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I've got to admit this is a far cry from Kansas, but hey, a fella can love both!
    I live in Kansas and I love DEP.

I haven't really liked anything since Calculating Infinity (even though it would be better without the vocals), I haven't been impressed by anything since, including the Patton EP ( I don't think I like anything Patton has been involved with in the '00s.)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I haven't really liked anything since Calculating Infinity (even though it would be better without the vocals), I haven't been impressed by anything since, including the Patton EP ( I don't think I like anything Patton has been involved with in the '00s.)
    Not even Fantomas?? or Tomahawk??

Fantomas has always disappointed me, it feels like something that has been done better before and since. I kept hoping they would do something I dig but I generally find them pretty dull, for me, it is not the best work any of the members have been involved with.

IMO Patton is not great at the scat/nonsense vocals, he is a bit stiff and repetitive, I have seen videos of him fronting Naked City and eYe is greatly missed.

I don't like Tomahawk, which was disappointing because I like The Jesus Lizard, but whereas with Fantomas I am just underwhelmed, I actively dislike every single thing I have heard from Tomahawk.

I think I may have just grown tired of certain Pattonisms.

Tomahawk, nay. Fanomas, Yay!

I'm not afraid to admit it: I dig Peeping Tom.

I'm not a Patton fanboy, but I can find worth in a lot of what he does, and I'd welcome like heck another FNM album! (Not holding my breath, of course.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I'm not afraid to admit it: I dig Peeping Tom.

I'm not a Patton fanboy, but I can find worth in a lot of what he does, and I'd welcome like heck another FNM album! (Not holding my breath, of course.)
    I dig Peeping Tom as well.