Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DID YOU SEE YES ON FIRST CTTE TOUR?

DID YOU SEE YES ON FIRST CTTE TOUR?

Hi there folks,
    I'm doing an article and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who saw Yes performing Close To The Edge between July - August 1972 in the USA and also at the 3rd Crystal Palace Garden Party, in London or any other UK dates in September 1972. Either leave a message here or DM me here or via Facebook etc.

I was 1 year old at the time, so no.

I am disappointed I missed all the classic prog bands in their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    Hi there folks,
    I'm doing an article and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who saw Yes performing Close To The Edge between July - August 1972 in the USA and also at the 3rd Crystal Palace Garden Party, in London or any other UK dates in September 1972.
    I wasn't even born, so not me - but, just for the record, the title track from "Close To The Edge" wasn't played on the first leg of the tour. Crystal Palace may well have been its debut performance. So I would guess people who saw the band in July-August 1972 only heard "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru" from the album, not the title suite.

Not sure which recording I have of them on that tour where the first time they played it.. it was incomplete.. Jon mentions something about how they will play part of CTTE.. I'd have to go back and look through what I have to remember which venue it was.. looks like the recording I've got is from Glasgow 9-4-72 but with that said it also looks like it was performed In Hartford CT on 8-14 as well as Cyrstal Palace on 9-2 (again provided dates are accurate on the recordings).. I obviously did not see them on this tour.. don't think I was into Yes just yet..
    Last edited by happytheman; 09-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.

No. saw Tales, Relayer, and Going For The One tours though

Nope, but I got to see the Solo Albums tour!

I was 18 during the CTTE tour and already a Yes fan, so I don't know why I missed it. I DID see the TFTO tour in '73, though.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Not sure which recording I have of them on that tour where the first time they played it.. it was incomplete.. Jon mentions something about how they will play part of CTTE.. I'd have to go back and look through what I have to remember which venue it was.. looks like the recording I've got is from Glasgow 9-4-72 but with that said it also looks like it was performed In Hartford CT on 8-14 as well as Cyrstal Palace on 9-2 (again provided dates are accurate on the recordings).. I obviously did not see them on this tour.. don't think I was into Yes just yet..
    Weren't they always sharing the bill with (occasionally many) other bands back then? I wonder if they had to pull out edited versions of "Close to the Edge" when they had less time on stage.

I did! Colt Park in Hartford, CT. The Eagles opened followed by Edgar Winter and then (finally) Yes. I was already a huge fan of the records and was completely blown away by Wakeman's mellotron during his solo and the halleluiah chorus. It was the first time I heard one used in a live setting. I had just graduated from high school. Pure bliss. I am a bass player and Chris Squire was a huge influence. I still have my Rickenbacker from back then. They were all very impressive although I never really warmed up to Alan White (too much cymbal), but as Jon Anderson noted he learned it all in a matter of days. The Eagles have never been my cup of tea, but have to admit they were very tight. The crowd talked during most of their set and they only received applause for "Witchy Woman" and a Bob Dylan cover or two. Edgar Winter (despite Rick Derringer's presence) bored me to tears although the guy next to me seemed to really enjoy it. During the middle section of "Close To The Edge" he was yelling, "Get on with it!" Not sure why he just didn't leave. I finally felt compelled to say something to him and he quieted down. Prior to that, I had only seen Chicago and Black Sabbath. I will never forget it. Yessongs is a very worthwhile document of that tour and what I heard that night.

Quote Originally Posted by RobT View Post
    I did! Colt Park in Hartford, CT. The Eagles opened followed by Edgar Winter and then (finally) Yes. I was already a huge fan of the records and was completely blown away by Wakeman's mellotron during his solo and the halleluiah chorus. It was the first time I heard one used in a live setting. I had just graduated from high school. Pure bliss. I am a bass player and Chris Squire was a huge influence. I still have my Rickenbacker from back then. They were all very impressive although I never really warmed up to Alan White (too much cymbal), but as Jon Anderson noted he learned it all in a matter of days. The Eagles have never been my cup of tea, but have to admit they were very tight. The crowd talked during most of their set and they only received applause for "Witchy Woman" and a Bob Dylan cover or two. Edgar Winter (despite Rick Derringer's presence) bored me to tears although the guy next to me seemed to really enjoy it. During the middle section of "Close To The Edge" he was yelling, "Get on with it!" Not sure why he just didn't leave. I finally felt compelled to say something to him and he quieted down. Prior to that, I had only seen Chicago and Black Sabbath. I will never forget it. Yessongs is a very worthwhile document of that tour and what I heard that night.
    Thanks for sharing that.

Edgar Winter had a top 40 hit with his instrumental powerhouse Frankenstein during the summer of 1972.

I was ten at the time and spent a lot of time that summer building Aurora models while listening to WABC and WNBC on my AM transistor radio.

My favorite songs were Schools Out ( Alice Cooper), Hocus Pocus ( Focus), Outta Space ( Billy Preston) and Frankenstein.

That's when I got hooked on music.

My older sister got Close To The Edge around that time, but I couldn't get into it until the 7th grade.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I saw this tour at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, but I remember almost nothing about the show.

I saw this show in Montreal (as I did most) in late 1972. It was in some older theater IIRC (not the Forum) - - - I was almost 14 years old at the time, and remember little.

Close but no cigar--I saw them on the second CTTE tour--or perhaps it would be called the Yessongs tour--in 1973.

I saw them in Nov of '72. My first real rock concert and was properly blown away though I don't remember many details from this great distance..

Saw them Sept 72 and don't remember specifics or much else of their show. It was good!! At this much later date, just a quick memory pic of the opening band, Gentle Giant. And still thinking, what a strange line up--Gentle Giant---The Eagles---Yes.

Saw this show at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey, the opening band was Ten Wheel Drive w/Genya Ravan.

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Saw this show at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey, the opening band was Ten Wheel Drive w/Genya Ravan.
    The good ole Capital theater. Saw many a show there but not this one, I was just a tad too young.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvalvano View Post
    The good ole Capital theater. Saw many a show there but not this one
    Yeah, I missed this one, too.

After the Fillmore closed the Capitol became a regular hang, along with the Academy of Music. We also used to go to the "other" Capitol Theatre , the one over in Port Chester, NY, which has recently re-opened as a rock venue.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

the first time i saw Yes was during the original Fragile tour, shortly after moving to Los Angeles in 1971. then i caught two separate shows during the Close to the Edge tour, one in Long Beach and one in Inglewood, IIRC.

i'd become a big fan of the Yes Album and so was very excited that i was able to see them. they were astounding live back then. Steve Howe was a man on fire - his solos had me enraptured. he was a hoot to watch. Bruford was an idol of mine after seeing the CTTE tours. i was already in love with his playing but seeing him firsthand changed my life (as a drummer myself). he had such a wonderful ease and style.

i saw them numerous times after that - a show during the Topographic tour was likewise amazing and a show during their Relayer tour in 1975 or thereabouts, i think it was.

the last Yes show i saw was at the Pacific Coliseum in my home town of Vancouver, BC during the Going For The One tour, which was excellent. i was already starting to lose interest by then but really enjoyed all of the tunes live. they hadn't lost any of their exciting live energy either. Howe was still just blisteringly good, as was everyone. Jon, as always, was in fine voice and just looked and sounded angelic up there.

i used to go to a lot of shows back then and caught plenty of live performances - Genesis several times, first time at the Roxy a very long time ago (one of their first visits as i recall), Gabriel solo many times, Gentle Giant pretty much every time they came through, Zappa also very many times, Rundgren, Tull, just to list a few of ye olde "progressive rock" bands. along with that, i saw a ton of other rock, jazz and classical shows.

these days, i go to rock shows far less often than i used to, but i cherish the memory of some of the fine shows i caught back in the 70s while living in L.A. good times

Kim
    Last edited by Polypet; 09-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Saw them here in Atlanta at a great downtown venue which, sadly, no longer exists, with only the Eagles opening. Initially I thought it was a strange pairing, but was pretty much blown away by the Eagles and have been a fan ever since. Yes did play all of CTTE. I believe it also might have been my first concert that I attended without parental assistance since I'd been driving since 1970. Great show, what little I recall of it. I have looked for a recording of that show but have never found one. (

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post

I would have been two so I echo your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post

Next time be born sooner...!

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Saw them here in Atlanta at a great downtown venue which, sadly, no longer exists, with only the Eagles opening. Initially I thought it was a strange pairing, but was pretty much blown away by the Eagles and have been a fan ever since. Yes did play all of CTTE. I believe it also might have been my first concert that I attended without parental assistance since I'd been driving since 1970. Great show, what little I recall of it. I have looked for a recording of that show but have never found one. (
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a bunch of Yessongs taken from the Atlanta CTTE gig?

My cousin schlepped me to Yale in the summer of 1971 (I was 12 at the time) to see the Grand Funk Railroad show at the Yale Bowl stadium. "Yes" was the opening band - they were on their first tour (The Yes Album) at the time IIRC - - -

Missed the Fragile tour - but saw most every tour after that.

JK