Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DID YOU SEE YES ON FIRST CTTE TOUR?

I, too, remember the Eagles touring with them, which I did not see. Not sure if it was the first tour, but my first concert was seeing them on 11/20/1972 at the Nassau County Coliseum, Uniondale, NY. A nice introduction to live music.

my Yes history

Sunday, Aug 13 1972 YES w/Eagles - Merriweather Post Pavilion. Columbia, MD “Close to the Edge” “Take it Easy”:

First "prog" band ever seen..what a strange matchup. I dont think Edgar Winter played, but he may have. Just remember it being magical, lots from the Yes Album and Fragile, and a few from CTTE. Great show. Eagles big hit at the time was Witchy Woman. Back when you could bring a cooler and such, into the show and the lawn seats were quite an experience... Tickets were $2.50....

Weds. Feb 13, 1974 YES w/John Martyn Baltimore Civic Center “Tales from Topographic Oceans”

July 24 1975 YES w/Ace – Capital Centre, Largo MD. “Relayer”

Aug 16. 1977 YES w/Donovan Capital Centre, Largo MD “Going for the One”

Sun. Sept 10 1978 YES- Capital Centre , Largo MD “Tormato”

Sat. August 5, 1989 Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe (w/ Tony Levin, Julian Colbeck, Milton McDonald) - Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

Mon March 25 - Sat March 31 “Cruise To The Edge” YES .....and April 2014 CTTE (2)....

I don't remember the exact date but saw them during the Close To The Edge tour at the Convention Center in Asbury Park , NJ, USA.
    The opening band was The Eagles (WTF?) , whom I recall receiving some boos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    Hi there folks,
    I'm doing an article and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who saw Yes performing Close To The Edge between July - August 1972 in the USA and also at the 3rd Crystal Palace Garden Party, in London or any other UK dates in September 1972. Either leave a message here or DM me here or via Facebook etc.
    Yes, I was at the Crystal Palace Bowl in September 1972 when Yes performed the whole of Close to the Edge for the first time. I remember that there were some problems with the sound, but despite that it was a fantastic show, great to think I witnessed the first live performance of one of prog's greatest works. The weather was kind and it didn't rain that I remember.

The setlist was:-

The Firebird Suite

Siberian Khatru
    I've Seen All Good People
    Mood for a Day
    And You and I
    Heart of the Sunrise
    Close to the Edge
    Encore:
    Roundabout
    Yours Is No Disgrace

As a matter of interest, I was also at The Rainbow Theatre in London when Yessongs was recorded.

My first Yes gig was at The Brangwyn Halls in Swansea in Wales in September 1970, the Yes Album tour. It was a joint tour with Black Sabbath, the Paranoid tour. String Driven Thing were the opening act on the bill.