Thread: Mystery (the band) threads?

Mystery (the band) threads?

Hey all, tried using the search function a couple of times, but haven't seen any posts specific to this band Mystery. A friend of mine turned me on to them yesterday. I was blown away by the singer, only to find out it is none other than Benoit David! I personally think he sounds much better on this stuff than he does filling in for Jon. I have to wonder if there's more freedom in Mystery, or if it's just the fact that he doesn't have to try to be someone else (even if it's only subconscious).

So what do you guys know/think about this band?

I picked up the CD "Beneath the Veil of Winter" because for some strange reason I thought Portnoy was a guest on drums.

I love the record, but don't know a damn thing about them. iTunes has no liner notes to read

Fine heavy prog band from Canada. Their album from last year, "The World is a Game", was in my 2012 top 10. The 2 albums prior to that are also very good. If you like melodic neo-prog on the heavier side, this band is for you.

Yeah, I generally don't like when things start getting too metal, but they seem to keep it just on the edge. Pretty cool. Wiki has some good info on them, going back to the 80s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_%28band%29

I'm going to investigate further...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I love this band, saw them at FMPM a few years back, even better live. Turned onto 'em before Ben was tapped for Yes. The World is a Game is brilliant.

Michel St-Pères band formend in '86. They released theit first two albums "Theatre of the Mind" and "Destiny?" in '96 and '98.
    There may have been an earlier EP.

At that time they sounded a lot like a proggy version of Journey, mainly 'cause of their lead singer Gary Savoie sounding amazingly
    like Steve Perry.

Michel St-Père founded Unicorn Digital Records to support Mystery. He became so busy with the lable that he had to lay the band
    at rest for some time.

I think he meet Benoit at a gig of his Yes Tribute band. Both are now the only fix members of Mystery.

That last album was really really good. Benoit is definitely much better in his own range...

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of "One Among The Living" (2010), especially this track:

There getting better and better...

I really like them, and have all their albums apart from the debut. I saw them open for Marillion this past spring and they sounded great! Favourite album is Beneath The Veil...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

OK, I'm sold. Ordering the World is a Game. Thanks for the comments/info!

Beneath The Veil is my favourite if theirs. It's a really good album. The one after that was OK, but not as good. The last one was not exactly my cup of tea - it seemed to lack the hard edge of the previous ones. That doesn't make it bad, but I find Beneath...to be much much better. Some songs on it are pure greatness.

I really enjoy Mystery. I have copies of Veil through The World is a Game and really do enjoy them.

Great writing, superior musicianship and I enjoy the vocals. I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

I also really enjoy Benoit David's contributions to Yes. Fly from Here is my favorite Yes album since Drama (I really enjoy 90125 and Magnification as well, but maybe a click less)

The last 3 albums are all stellar, I can't pick a favorite from them. Though having NDV on drums for the latest one is a definite plus! They were great at Rosfest, too. Hope they get to tour a bit more, I'd love to see them return to Rosfest again.