Thread: New Prog Rock Opera - Over The Line

New Prog Rock Opera - Over The Line

Brian O’Connell, known for his kinetic and innovative bass playing with Uncle Sammy, Gordon Stone, Gary Backstrom, Rev Tor, Tom Constanten, as well as many others, has released an album version of the songs from his political/psychologically themed Rock Opera, Over The Line. A longtime resident of Boston, MA, Brian has recently relocated to Philadelphia, PA.

Over The Line is available for free listening and downloads at his website: http://www.brianvincentoconnell.com/music.cfm

Over The Line was performed to rave reviews in February and June 2012 in Boston, MA in a multimedia show featuring a 9-piece band and giant puppet actors, plus theatrical narration and dialog.

A compilation video of the Over The Line show can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kGDwIHPo0

The story of Over The Line follows the main character Sleepy Doormat, who one day has his social belief system confronted by an activist. The resulting conversation sends him into a psychological tailspin. He ends up falling asleep that night in front of the TV and is confronted by ancient Goddesses in a dream journey to the center of the self.

The album was recorded in a unique fashion by using the multi-track recordings of a live performance of Over The Line and then editing and overdubbing on to of them in the studio.

O’Connell says, “This is the culmination of several years of writing and scheming. I have wanted to incorporate my interests in social justice activism and Jungian psychology into an engaging prog-rock spectacle for some time. The performances where very well received and I’m very excited to share these songs in a classic album format.”

Section of a review of the Over The Line show from The Noise Magazine, July/August 2012 edition:

"...the music is quite rousing and satisfying - very intelligent, multi-dynamic prog-rock mixed with pop-folk - with tremendous musicians and singers adding brilliant coloration...the interactive puppets turn this story into a deeper fairy tale of contemplation and celebration. As they wander through the audience, we all become part of the dream. It's a very ambitious project that almost achieves a transcendent quality."

Some of it reminds me of Preservation Act 2 and the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Thanks for the link.