Thread: FEATURED CD: Charlie Haden LMO - The Ballad of the Fallen

FEATURED CD: Charlie Haden LMO - The Ballad of the Fallen

Today's featured album suggestion comes from Jake. ECM goodness from the early 80s.

Review from ecmreviews.com
    Charlie Haden
    The Ballad Of The Fallen

Charlie Haden bass
    Carla Bley piano, glockenspiel, arrangements
    Don Cherry pocket trumpet
    Sharon Freeman French horn
    Mick Goodrick guitar
    Jack Jeffers tuba
    Michael Mantler trumpet
    Paul Motian drums, percussion
    Jim Pepper tenor, soprano saxophones, flute
    Dewey Redman tenor saxophone
    Steve Slagle alto, soprano saxophones, clarinet, flute
    Gary Valente trombone
    Recorded November 1982, Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg
    Engineer: Martin Wieland
    Produced by Manfred Eicher

Don’t ask me who I am
    Or if you knew me
    The dreams that I had
    Will grow even though I’m no longer here.

Jazz is a music of oppression, or rather about resisting it. As such, it has the potential to liberate listeners—and, perhaps more importantly, performers—in ways that few other genres can. Which is precisely the paradox of the purist: in order to get to the heart of jazz, one must shut up and feel it. Intellectualizing just gets in the way. Charlie Haden is a purist, but it took him years to achieve that title, and his Liberation Music Orchestra represents a coming into his own as a musician, as a human being, as a force of peace and respect.

The LMO took shape at a time of upheaval. The Vietnam War was coming to a head, and the taste it seems to have left in Haden’s mouth could only be washed out with music. Through his sporadic activities with the LMO (the collective has averaged only one album per decade since its inception in the late 1960s), Haden now had a voice with which to purge widening circles of listeners of the warmongering and corruption he saw all around him until, hopefully, those circles began to touch. It was the voice of those who could not speak except through histories, a voice honed in the communal spirit that breathes through every note he’s played since.

Haden never chose his material in the authorial sense; the politics chose him. By the time of The Ballad Of The Fallen, the Reagan administration was pouring military spending into Central America, where Contra death squads left tens of thousands dead and corrupted countless others by covertly sponsoring dictatorial regimes and, by extension, their drug cartels. This brings us to Haden’s purism in another sense: as a onetime narcotics addict long since sober, he knew well the dangers of letting go of music’s hand. And so, through this second recording he and the LMO inscribed a poem of mourning for those who lost their lives in such conflicts, as well in the Spanish Civil War, for he might very well have become an indirect casualty had he not been awakened. Such motivations were never a gimmick in Haden’s hands, and the balanced arrangements, courtesy of Carla Bley, speak to (and for) hearts and minds committed to outreach.

“Els Segadors” (The Reapers), a song of revolt from the Spanish Civil War that would later become an anthem for the Catalan Republic, begins with a somber elegy for brass, which then flowers with the introduction of a funereal snare and glockenspiel. With this somber tone set, the heartrending El Salvadorean song that makes up the title track finds ground in Haden alongside Motian’s drums and the acoustic guitar of Mick Goodrick. The words it only hints at were discovered on the body of a student protester, who along with others died by military hands during a university sit-in. After two darkly lit marches, each insightful horn solo therein a message in a tarnished bottle, we arrive at “Introduction To People.” Bley’s first of two contributions to the album has the sweep of some of the early Arild Andersen quartets and is only enhanced by her rolling pianism and Haden’s ever-pellucid bass. Her second piece is “Too Late,” a pensive duet for piano and bass that frays into majestic horns. It is also the session’s heartbeat.

The Chilean freedom fighters’ anthem “The People United Will Never Be Defeated” lifts us upon a delicate floating carpet of horns, who continue to emote in the heavier “Silence” (Haden’s sole composition and among the session’s more powerful) that follows. In this chain of four-step phrases, we find ourselves lost in the memory of that which we can never know. Goodrick spins chant-like threads throughout “La Pasionaria,” suspended like stars while Dewey Redman plots his tenor along less determinable trajectories. Bley’s keys whip like a sidewinder through this rare breath of hope while Haden emotes as nowhere else. The Catalonian song “La Santa Espina” reprises the martial feeling with which the album began and breaks into a powerful reinstatement from brass.

This is a continuous suite of moods drifting through a passage in foliated time. The album’s resignations are palpable at every turn, each inhaling mourning and exhaling hope. This is death and memory, rebirth and diffusion, the flame of a forgotten past kept alive in the cavity of an unparalleled instrument and its practitioner.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Great, great music.This is among my favorite ECM's.Inspired and inspirational music.All superlatives apply here.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Lovely album and perhaps my personal favorite of the four (?) L.M.O. albums.

What Walt said.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Agreed. Great album.

NP: Wagner Lohengrin

I don't have this one, and apparently I need to rectify that ASAP.

Great álbum indeed!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Great album, first one is great too. The other 2 are a little bit less inspiring though (dreamkeeper and not in our name).

Cheers, Peter

not a huge Jazz fan

since I love it when Jazz guys play Rock music, especially Rock of the Progressive variety
    I *should* like Jazz... but it just doesn't do anything for me if it doesn't Rock
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I’ve never even heard of this before, but Carla Bley’s involvement immediately makes it interesting.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Suche und Liebe”-Ash Ra Tempel/Schwingungen

Eight posts for a cd this outstanding?.I'm kinda surprised.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide