Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muse

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by folkjokeopus View Post
    'In Benelux, when these guys come, it's minimum 49 K people in attendance... No thanks.'

Doesn't that imply they come from somewhere other than Teignmouth?
    No it implies Trane comes from Benelux, which indeed he does.

Read it as "When these guys come to Benelux to play its a minimum of 49K in attendance."
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

'In Benelux, when these guys come, it's minimum 49 K people in attendance... No thanks.'

It's obvious that Trane meant when they come to *play* to Benelux, not that they were from Benelux.

I didn't say they when "came home", but when they "come to play a concert" (well it's mainly smmer festivals)

Ian and Gerard, you attorney fees checks are in the mail
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Please accept my apologies. I completely misread that part of your post. For some reason I saw it as, 'In Benelux, where these guys come from'.

I either need new specs, or senility is setting in.

Please accept my apologies. I completely misread that part of your post. For some reason I saw it as, 'In Benelux, where these guys come from'.

I either need new specs, or senility is setting in.
    Don't sweat it ... it's water well past under the brige and now into the ocean
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Wow. I think Bellamy is an amazing vocalist. He has incredible range and can shift between quiet and bombastic skillfully.

In a world of pop music where you don't even need to sing or play an instrument to be a multi-million selling performer, I respect the hell out of MUSE for doing it the old fashioned way: writing and performing their own stuff with passion and musical virtuosity.

Go MUSE!
    Agreed, he is an amazing vocalist. I can say where people might not like the style of his voice, but he is incredible at what he does.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by benson View Post
    Anyone else catching Muse on the current tour? Saw them in Philly last night and they were pretty darn good. I'm not sure how or why they get they get mentioned in the Prog circles (pretty sure i've read about them in Prog Magazine). They are great in their own right. They don't need any prog-credibility. That would probably hurt them anyway.

It was also nice to see a band that is happening NOW, not a band that happened 30 or 40 years ago.
    Love Muse, they were great on the Resistance tour. I agree the latest release is by far their worst. I love the Origin of Symmetry- Absolution period.

Love these guys, they have some absolutely fantastic songs. "Space Dementia", "Uprising", "Knights Of Cydonia", "Butterflies And Hurricanes"... big fan.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Big Muse fan here, saw them a couple of years ago and the show was riveting. Still love Black Holes best but agree with others about the Queen thing getting a bit too much - e.g. United States of Eurasia which is so out of Freddy's book he could well have written it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The difference with Queen is, I don't get much humour from Muse...intentional humour anyhow. '...Eurasia' in particular was one where I felt, 'they've got to be joking' but it seems to be serious.
    No, they do have a sense of humour. Bellamy's "conspiracy theory" schtick seems to have a certain amount of tongue in cheek, and if you've seen them in the studio, for exapmle on the "making of 2nd Law", they have a real sense of fun about the OTT choirs & orchestras and the whole operatic falsetto thing. They're completely at home in the studio and I think they're like kids in a toyshop who can't believe they've been locked in for the night, so they explore the limits of what they can get away with while still making incredible music.

Whilst some of 2nd Law doesn't grab me in the same way as previous albums (the bass player's songs in particular), live they are still incredible. I won't get into the whole "are they/aren't they prog" thing, as its a subjective thing, but they are the nearest thing to a modern day Genesis, Yes or Floyd, and of course Queen, that we are going to get in terms of bringing intelligent, sometimes complex, well structured rock music to a mass audience. It's not just that they can fill stadiums, they can actually command a stadium crowd in a way that few people outwith the great 70's or early 80's acts can. Think about it, if LIVE AID were to happen again next year, who would be capable of rocking a stadium the way Freddie did, or the way Floyd did at LIVE8? Springsteen, U2, The Stones, Genesis, Bowie, Led Zep, the Who, and maybe one or two others from the 60's/70's. Hard to think of anyone who's emerged in the last 10-15 years doing this other than MUSE.

For me, Muse scratches the Queen itch of old. They are unapologetically bombastic and tuned in to a new generation. Every album ends up having 4 or 5 songs that become total earworms.

With 2nd Law, this was certainly their most well "marketed" release. They had a theme song for the Olympics, World War Z, and more appearances on American television.

For me, I dig the whole album up through track 7 + the closing 2nd Law suite. The tracks in between do NOTHING for me - which seems to be a theme I can say about all Muse albums.

I saw Muse in DC last week. Overall, it was a great show. I was, however, disappointed by a few things...

1. Set was too short.
    2. They seemed to be on cruise control, didn't say much to the crowd, left with a sterile feeling.
    3. They didn't play Exogenesis, which I figured was a stretch, but even the 1st part would have been gold.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I saw Muse in DC last week. Overall, it was a great show. I was, however, disappointed by a few things...

1. Set was too short.
    I saw them on this tour and it didn't seem short. It would be interesting to compare the setlist from the Nashville show to the one you attended.

Maybe you are just a fanboy who couldn't get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I saw them on this tour and it didn't seem short. It would be interesting to compare the setlist from the Nashville show to the one you attended.

Maybe you are just a fanboy who couldn't get enough.
    Their set was just about 90 minutes. I thought we'd at least get 2 hours.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Not a huge fan, but they've got some great anthemic tracks and I love the singers delivery. Like many people I guess I first heard of Muse via Guitar Hero on the PS2 about 5 years ago, it was Knights of Sydonia, and that caused me to look them up & listen to more.