Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Plant - Pictures at Eleven

Robert Plant - Pictures at Eleven

Robert Plant's first solo album Pictures at Eleven. Under-known and under-rated? Is it PROG? Well, no. But not THAT far off (if you consider Zeppelin close to Prog in the first place). But, this album has some monster drumming from Cozy Powell and Phil Collins. Great guitar and keys. Hard to understand all the words but it's still catchy. I don't know why but I've always loved this album. Principle of Moments is a good sequel too. What do you think? You like it?

I never had any of his solo albums, but I always liked the songs Big Log and In The Mood (both of which I think are on the next album actually). Nice guitar playing from Robbie Blunt on those two songs. Whatever happened to that guy?

I don't know but if you like his guitar playing you really should pick up "Pictures At Eleven". The guitar work is fantastic. Really under-rated or at least under-known and under-celebrated guitar player. He just disappeared it seems.

Second favorite Plant, after Fate Of Nations. Good album, and very well performed. Some songs reminds of LZ circa PG-Presence.

Squids,
    This is one of my favorite albums! So glad to hear it mentioned.
    This is one of those rare albums that I like every single song on it!
    A+++

Interesting...thanks for the mention of this. I was just recently listening to The Principle of Moments again and digging the hell out of it...and reading this thread, I am stunned that I don't think I've ever heard this one. Will have to check it out. Thanks!

Jon Neudorf
    Yes. I like both albums very much.

Regards,
    Jon

LOVE this album, and the follow up. Then my personal next fave is Shaken and Stirred. Ritchie Hayward was a freak on that album.

I love every Plant solo disc through Fate of Nations -- that last one being the absolute peak of his output. If you like Plant solo but don't have Fate of Nations, please check it out. God, what an incredibly written, produced and performed album! Robert is at the top of his game with the mind-blowing "Calling to You", has some excellent 'singles' on this album like "29 Palms", and goes into new territory like "Great Spirit" and "The Greatest Gift". Wow.

As for this thread about his first solo release, it's got fantastic tunes on it. "Moonlight in Samosa" is the first Plant/Blunt tune written, what a sweet piece. I'm not wild about the production on this one, but I think it was an excellent beginning to his post-Zep life.

And count me in as a big fan of Robbie Blunt. I mourned his departure after the first 3 solo albums, thought he added a lot to Plant's songwriting and direction. He also added some sweet playing to Edie Brickell's first disc with the New Bohemians.

I had Fate of Nations at one point and agree it was very, very good from what I remember. Also, I have heard Now and Zen which also was pretty good although very 80's sounding for the most part.

Ah my halcyon MTV days! Loved the videos for Big Log and In the Mood. I just can't get enough of the ethereal keys of In the Mood. Being mostly synth ignorant, I've always wonder what type of keyboard and patches created those dreamlike sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Ah my halcyon MTV days! Loved the videos for Big Log and In the Mood. I just can't get enough of the ethereal keys of In the Mood. Being mostly synth ignorant, I've always wonder what type of keyboard and patches created those dreamlike sounds.
    Probably a Prophet 5. But, for some reason I seem to remember the keyboard player having something uncommon like a Siel synth. He did have some cool sounds. Sort of like the next stage of JPJ who also had some cool sounds. The good old days.

As for the production, I quite like it on these too albums. Very "analog". The drum sounds are great! The vocals are a bit muddy and over processed though. Guitar and keys sound good. The whole thing COULD be clearer but there's a warmth to it that I like.

My friend Francis Dunnery played guitar with Plant for awhile and he has some incredible stories.

Wasn't Barriemore Barlow, then late of Tull, the other drummer, not Cozy?

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Wasn't Barriemore Barlow, then late of Tull, the other drummer, not Cozy?
    Cozy Powell was on Pictures At Eleven (two songs, I believe), while Barlowe was on Principle Of Moments.
    Phil Collins did the majority of tracks on both albums.

A great album, haven't listened to it for a long time. I'll have to break it out.

Some of those live shows were awesome too... Phil C on drums on a tour and Robbie is great on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    My friend Francis Dunnery played guitar with Plant for awhile and he has some incredible stories.
    Well, don't just leave us hanging here! Do tell!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Okay, so it turns out I have heard something from this album. "Burning Down One Side" must have been on the radio or something, right? Not sure where else I would have heard it. This is nice though. "Mystery Title"...is that really the name of the last tune or just what it says online? I like that one.

I did a teeny bit of recording with Francis many years ago and he alluded to some things, but I don't think I ever really heard any full stories. Yes, spill the beans!!

Plant lives here in Austin from time to time --- I'll go to his house and knock on his door. haha.

That would be on Plant's best solo album Fate of Nations.

Search some Jools Holland footage of Calling to You with Dunnery . When i saw this hippy i couldnt believe it was the same cute kid from It Bites !
    Last edited by Rufus; 09-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Plant lives here in Austin from time to time --- I'll go to his house and knock on his door. haha.
    Tell him you're a Wolves fan & he'll be your best mate !
    Apparently he's a very approachable guy!

Burning Down One Side was a pretty decent hit in Denver when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Burning Down One Side was a pretty decent hit in Denver when I lived there.
    Same in Portland, Oregon. It was on the radio seemingly once an hour when it first came out. I don't recall hearing anything else on the radio from Pictures At Eleven, though. That song was very Zeppelin-ish to my ears at the time--probably why it was so popular. Plant was able to distance himself from Zeppelin more with Principle of Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Well, don't just leave us hanging here! Do tell!

Bill
    Unfortunately a lot of the stories can't be told publicly really. Francis was quite the prankster though (most of the stories are humor-oriented). Anyway, he got to play with Plant and Page! Pretty amazing and interesting experiences he had with that. I'm hoping Plant will sit in with us at some point whenever I'm playing with FD. It's happened before out of the blue in nowheresville.