Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Agitation Free - 2nd

FEATURED CD: Agitation Free - 2nd

Today's featured album suggestion comes from Hobo Chang Ba. While Malesch gets most of the attention, this one is actually my personal favorite.

Review from ProgArchives (diddy)
    Well, the second Agitation Free album is different to the first one. The Ethno influences are completely gone as well as the oriental impact. But with everything gone wich made the first album what it is, the second one doesn't weaken, far from it, I consider "2nd" to be even better than "Malesch". Yes it's not as playful but still isn't a slight fare. What makes this album so great is the symbiosis of Hoenig's electrical gadgetry and Keyboard playing (It might be helpful to mention that Hoenig later on gets a member of Tangerine Dream) and the guitar playing by the very talented and often underrated Lutz Ulbrich and Stefan Dietz. The guitar work mainly consists of long and beautiful improvisations wich either alternate or collude with Hoenig's Keyboard and Synth sounds.

"First Communication" is one of the best songs of this album. Here you can impressively experience what I meant with long guitar improvisations. It's Krautrock at it's best and IMO one of the best songs of this genre. In "Dialogue And Random" you get to hear some of Hoenig's nice gimmicks and electrical sounds, very typical for german prog music BTW. The both "Laila" parts feature nice guitar solos and improvisations paired with nice and atmospherical Keyboard and Organ sounds in the background. I think "In the silence of the morning sunrise" again features some really great guitar sounds as well as a talented Hoenig on keyboards. The whole tune is introduced by some nice electric sounds wich create the perfect atmosphere concerning the title of the song. Chirping crickets and twittering birds wich also linger throughout the whole song. "A quiet walk" is maybe the prime example for the perfect symbiosis of Hoenig and the guitar players. The first half of the song belongs to the electrical improvisations reminicent of Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze untill after some minutes the guitar and bazouki appear, first very muted and slowly, after a final bulky organ chord take over, terrific. "Haunted Island" is quite queer and features vocals, more recitative than singing. Very dark, I like it. And again, you get some fine guitar work here.

"2nd" by Agitation Free is, at least for me, one of the best Krautrock recordings. The guitar improvisations sound amazing and the symbiosis with the talented Hoenig really put you over the edge. This album is worth every penny and features no single bad song. If there's a Krautrock recoring I would recommend without concern this would be the one. It's an album with the possibility to get you into Krautrock, to discover the wolrd of germany's music from the seventies. It's highly recommended.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Awesome album, IMO! The ultimate Kraut reply to US west-coast antics. I could never decide on which of the first two I prefer, but I'm attempted to recommend this as starter.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That's right..., the Krautful Dead.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love the album; never cared for the "vagina with a sprout growing out of it" album cover.

Easily my fave (though all three 70's album are quite good), but this is topped by its even-better live version At the Cliffs Of Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    That's right..., the Krautful Dead.
    for once, the Germans may actually smile at the use of "Kraut"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great album and I agree it's a good starter for a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Easily my fave (though all three 70's album are quite good), but this is topped by its even-better live version At the Cliffs Of Rhine

for once, the Germans may actually smile at the use of "Kraut"
    I would agree that AtCoR is better. But my favourite is stil Malesch. I love all early AF albums including "Last".

This is the only Agitation Free I have but I absolutely love it. Was just listening to it again last week actually. First heard this playing in my local record store and I had to ask what it was. "Laila" is a standout for me but I love the whole thing.

The ethnic elements of the debut are replaced with a more introvert european version of the acid coast vibe... and it works miracles! Wonderful album.

But I prefer "Malesch". Probably because I've got a copy in 1981 and "2nd" in 1990. For 9 years it was the only AGITATION FREE I owned and it had been exhausted on my turntable.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Wow...not too many posts on this one...how can it be that only 9 of us like this?? Crazy times.

Quote Originally Posted by webbcity View Post
    Wow...not too many posts on this one...how can it be that only 9 of us like this?? Crazy times.
    I love this one too, but prefer the debut for the ethnic elements, as Spyros mentioned. I just didn't think another "me too!" post would add much

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I love this one too, but prefer the debut for the ethnic elements, as Spyros mentioned. I just didn't think another "me too!" post would add much
    Me too!

I supported Agitation Free when they played in London recently - they were amazing live!

Love Second and Malesch but my fav is ATCORR.

Well, I feel a little embarrassed at my own comment now, because it occurs to me that if this thread were about Malesch or ATCORR then I guess the same could be said about me... I don't own any of their other albums! Hmmm... I will have to correct that at some point soon.

Well, I feel a little embarrassed at my own comment now, because it occurs to me that if this thread were about Malesch or ATCORR then I guess the same could be said about me... I don't own any of their other albums! Hmmm... I will have to correct that at some point soon.
    Nah, this kind of thread is great - now I want to pull out Last and ATCORR again. Haven't heard those in ages. Besides, I'd much rather have a 'me too' thread about Agitation Free than read most other threads

Does anyone know if Garden of Delights has plans to reissue ATCORR on vinyl?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    At the Cliffs of the River Rhine is my favorite, but I like the early stuff as a whole. I got into them when SPV reissued them last, so the albums kind of blend together for me. It's great, atmospheric instrumental rock, though: chill, yet keeps interesting.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    I supported Agitation Free when they played in London recently - they were amazing live!
    They put out a great reunion live album called "Shibya Nights - Live in Tokyo" in 2011. "2nd" is a great album along with "Malesch", and "Last." I also have the reissue of "Live '74 - ATCORR." Great trippy Krautrock fun!

While I think the Middle Eastern feel on Malesch is overall better, I like this album too, and the folkier feel still works for me. “Haunted Island” is the high point, real goose-bumps stuff happening there, haunted indeed!

My vinyl copy of this was the IRI French reissue, with alternate cover art:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Puedo decir”-Toccata/Circe

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Obviously I support this album.

An underrated kraut band and album that deserves the classic tier with Can and Faust IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Wow, I didn't realize that most of these are in print on vinyl. Has anyone heard these? Are they good pressings?

Wow, I didn't realize that most of these are in print on vinyl. Has anyone heard these? Are they good pressings?
    I've got Malesch and 2nd both on Amber Soundroom, and they are great. I dunno if they're from any original master tapes or anything, but they sound damn good.

After this thread I'm destined to pave through at least the first two albums this upcoming weekend. Come to think of it, I'll have to play them next to that other underrated "Kraut-coast" act, the vaguely reminiscent Gila.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I've got Malesch and 2nd both on Amber Soundroom, and they are great. I dunno if they're from any original master tapes or anything, but they sound damn good.
    Great! The ones I am seeing say "Made in Germany Music" as the label...do you know if that's the same as the "Amber Soundroom" ones you're referring to?

Great! The ones I am seeing say "Made in Germany Music" as the label...do you know if that's the same as the "Amber Soundroom" ones you're referring to?
    Nope, the Made in Germany releases are more recent reissues. I have the first two, and they sound fine to me, though I haven't heard the albums on vinyl before that... They also just put out Last.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    As someone else mentioned, the recent live album they released in 2011 is outstanding, so i'm not surprised at your comment. It really blew me away as I wasn't expecting a lot for some reason.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the live album "Last" which is one of my favs from them. Malesch is my favourite studio release by them.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten