Thread: Weird, wild vocaloid song from Japan--Reactions wanted

Weird, wild vocaloid song from Japan--Reactions wanted

Weird? Wild? Bizarre combo of elements?
    I have heard this song quite a few times now, and it is, well, hard-to-describe.

I find it unforgettable. And in a good way.

It has a lot of changes in its 4 minutes, and really throws a lot at you.

I'd like some reactions to it.

Feel free to hammer it if you hate it. But please listen to it all the way thru if you truly want to review it.

Be prepared for the alien-sounding vocals (vocaloid---And I know, that is a whole other issue to deal with as well).

Note: Best played LOUD.
    (Drum program is slightly reminiscent of Bill Bruford, IMO.)

8 Sec by AVTechNO!/Hatsune Miku
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MUD6VRc10
    Last edited by GuitarRanger; 09-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Seeing how it's from Japan, there's absolutely nothing "weird" about anything happening during these minutes of music. This is the country which spawned Keiji Haino, Wha-ha-ha, After Dinner/Haco, J.A. Caesar, Kan Mikami, Tatsuya Yoshida, Tetsu Inoue, Tenko, Ikue Mori, Tipographica/Tsuneo Imahori, Hoppy Kamiyama and virtually hundreds and hundreds of other radical musical artists.

The song itself is cute, featuring some of the usual tricks of the "transistor-rock" trade, but not all too intriguing to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The song itself is cute, featuring some of the usual tricks of the "transistor-rock" trade, but not all too intriguing to my ears.
    I feel the same way, and I listened all the way to the end (which really wasn't necessary, there was no big surprise or anything). I found the vocal irritating in a steel-wool-on-nipples kind if way.

Thanks for all reactions so far. Honesty is always much appreciated.
    I need to check out the artists on that list given by Scrotum S.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I feel the same way, and I listened all the way to the end (which really wasn't necessary, there was no big surprise or anything). I found the vocal irritating in a steel-wool-on-nipples kind if way.
    Dude, I just noticed where you live. I live in North Hollywood. Are there enough local Proggers for some kind of get-together, ya' think?

IMO, Like-minded people should medicate together once in a while.

If anybody wants to kill the vocalist, you can't.

Because she was never alive in the first place.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarRanger View Post
    Dude, I just noticed where you live. I live in North Hollywood. Are there enough local Proggers for some kind of get-together, ya' think?

IMO, Like-minded people should medicate together once in a while.
    Hey neighbor! There's this coming up in a couple of weeks:

It would be a pleasure to meet you; six local progressive rock bands, come and say "high".

Just some electronics gimmicks. Here is another song by the same combo (AVTechNO & Hatsune Miku). Not much to it.

The music is okay, nothing new or groundbreaking. The vocals are extremely irritating. It's like some little girl ran into a death metal recording session and hijacked the microphone...
    ...heard it once, never want to hear it again.

The vocal effect is just that: an effect. If you want to hear some truly weird / crazy vocals out of Japan, check out some old Boredoms discs (like "Chocolate Synthesizer") featuring Yamatsuka Eye. Not necessarily pleasant, but definitely entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    If you want to hear some truly weird / crazy vocals out of Japan, check out some old Boredoms discs (like "Chocolate Synthesizer") featuring Yamatsuka Eye. Not necessarily pleasant, but definitely entertaining!
    The very essence of "weird", I'd say. But the Boredoms are truly all over the map stylistically, with parts of the Super Roots EP series bordering on Kraut'ish post-rock/progressive. Their overall most interesting and colourful release, IMHO, was Pop Tatari.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Aside from being a bit more "metal," this sounds like the electronic dance music stuff they play at my gym. Lots of effects like this on vocals, particularly heavy auto-tune. Musically this pretty much fits right in with that genre. Not so weird to my ears.

Bill