Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything - complete details

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you think Arjen's reason for separating the 4 tracks into so many parts was primarily to make it more difficult to post online and download? Not that it really would, but maybe that was the intent? It's been done before, supposedly for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you think Arjen's reason for separating the 4 tracks into so many parts was primarily to make it more difficult to post online and download? Not that it really would, but maybe that was the intent? It's been done before, supposedly for the same reason.
    Not really, although I suppose it's possible. He may have thought that four long tracks (a la Topographic Oceans) would be a bit too dense for some of his fans to absorb.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Not really, although I suppose it's possible. He may have thought that four long tracks (a la Topographic Oceans) would be a bit too dense for some of his fans to absorb.
    I was thinking of the Twilight X album, For the Love of Art and the making, which had a load of tiny tracks. I *think* you could play it in shuffle mode and it was still supposed to sound like it worked, but I seem to recall it was also done to keep people from uploading/downloading it.

I was thinking of the Twilight X album, For the Love of Art and the making, which had a load of tiny tracks. I *think* you could play it in shuffle mode and it was still supposed to sound like it worked, but I seem to recall it was also done to keep people from uploading/downloading it.
    In Arjen's case, he releases a lot of 'deluxe' editions, etc. to try and combat illegal downloads, which I think works to a degree, at least with his main fan base. Obviously some people will still do it anyway. I'm still not thrilled by this album, although it has its moments. I much prefer 01011001 and the two Universal Migrators and Guilt Machine.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Finally started to listen to this driving to work this morning. The music is pretty good (I like the Tull-ish flute work), but I think the lyrics are killing it for me. It's like if Tommy was written by a much less skillful lyricist. And a pretty boring, unoriginal concept so far, though I'm not that far into it.

I finally watched the Making of DVD that came with this. It's actually one of the better ones I've seen. It's interesting to hear Arjen's explanation of why he chose each contributing artist, and then to hear how the experience was for each contributor. These things always make it seem like a good time working on one of his albums. And it's fun to watch everyone get a "high ten" from Arjen's little dog! SPOILER : only one person fails.

Listening to the album again . While I own the CDs, I downloaded someone else's rip to load on my iPod. I'm not sure if it's the rip or the album itself but the transitions between tracks are really bad. Might this be the rip, or is there some setting on my (new, first) iPod?

Finally started to listen to this driving to work this morning. The music is pretty good (I like the Tull-ish flute work), but I think the lyrics are killing it for me. It's like if Tommy was written by a much less skillful lyricist. And a pretty boring, unoriginal concept so far, though I'm not that far into it.
    Agreed. The lyrics are terrible. To be fair, they were pretty awful on 01011001 as well. For some reason, the naivete of that aspect of his writing really doesn't bother me much on his earlier albums (I have them all), but it was a struggle getting past those last two.

The Human Equation, by the way, is one of my favorite albums of all time. That one really hit a chord for some reason.

NP: Magic Pie The Suffering Joy

Anyone who went for the 5-disk deluxe edition getting anything out of those instrumental disks? Or the DVD?