Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything - complete details

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Since it was 9 years ago I can't recall what it was I didn't like about HE, I think the lyrics were too wordy/talky is one thing I didn't like.
    Hmmm, not sure how you tell a story/concept without rather wordy songs. I think back to a old epics by Genesis, and you couldn't get more wordy than Peter Gabriel. There is still plenty of breathing space on HE, and enough instrumental sections to make me happy. Going back 20 years or so ago, I used to look at the vocal passages on songs as the boring part, I just wanted to hear the playing, the instrumental bits. I would even get annoyed if an album I thought was all instrumental even had a couple vocal tunes. I listened to music with vocals, but it wasn't an important aspect to me. That has changed a lot for me over the years. And in the case of Ayreon, all the different vocalists do such a fine job. Lucassen seems to coax out of them great performances where they stay true to the character, but still maintain their own unique style. Maybe it's just luck and talent of the singers, but really I think Lucassen has a gift for this.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    This one is now for one week at Progstreaming!

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    And in the case of Ayreon, all the different vocalists do such a fine job. Lucassen seems to coax out of them great performances where they stay true to the character, but still maintain their own unique style. Maybe it's just luck and talent of the singers, but really I think Lucassen has a gift for this.
    This. A creative genius, IMHO. Can't wait to hear this. No need to hear samples first.

Regards,
    Jon

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is anyone plumping for the 5-disk "art book" limited edition? (2CDs are the album, 2CDs are an instrumental version of the album, 1 DVD, and a LP sized 48-pg booklet. I'm wondering if the instrumental CDs are identical to the regular CDs just with the vocals stripped out? Or if it's a different version in any other way(s)? I'm guessing the former.

Probably the 3-disk edition is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is anyone plumping for the 5-disk "art book" limited edition? (2CDs are the album, 2CDs are an instrumental version of the album, 1 DVD, and a LP sized 48-pg booklet. I'm wondering if the instrumental CDs are identical to the regular CDs just with the vocals stripped out? Or if it's a different version in any other way(s)? I'm guessing the former.

Probably the 3-disk edition is enough for me.
    While I'm tempted, I think the vocal versions will be better anyway, so I'm thinking 3 disc (2cd,DVD) version is for me too.

Jon Neudorf
    Does anyone know what is included on the DVD?

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Does anyone know what is included on the DVD?

Regards,
    Jon
    From Arjen's store:

DVD with 2 1/2 hours of behind-the scenes content, including a 47-minute "Making of" documentary, 90 minutes of in-depth interviews, and time lapse clips of the recording sessions.

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks JKL. I suppose I could have checked that myself. That sounds like it would be worth a look.

Regards,
    Jon

First thoughts are that it's pretty good. Perhaps a bit more mellow than 01 but a very solid album. I need to listen more to really say much.

I can't say I like this album very much. After a five year (or smth like that) pause I expected something more.
    Dream Theater's latest record still is the best hard edged album this year for me, I never expected that to be the case. While I can't say that I absolutely love it, at least it is well made.
    I think this has been a weak year for hard edged prog and/or metal music. At least from my perspective. I'm still waiting for Anubis Gate which judging from the samples will be as good as their previous one.
    Near future should be better overall as there will be the new Presto Ballet, Frost, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder etc. I'm throwing hard edged prog and metal together here as some bands tend to mix one with another. For example, I think that the latest DT album has a lot of so called classic prog elements, more than metal.
    Also I must say that Lucassen's solo album from last year was far better for me than this.
    If I have to bring forward some of the problems which I have with this latest Ayreon - first of all, the structure of the album. And there are too many theatrical/operatic vocals - which of course could be expected from an opera type record, but on the best CD's Arjen managed to get a better balance.
    Sure, there are good moments here, but there are good moments on almost every prog CD. It just has to work overall as a package, it has to pull you in. I know that quiet a bit of people like this, it means that it worked for them. Good for them.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I only kept The Universal Migrator set because I don't care for for the opera style of other albums. Haven't tried Star One though
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I only kept The Universal Migrator set because I don't care for for the opera style of other albums. Haven't tried Star One though
    Star One is pretty good stuff. If nothing more, it's at least worth checking out.

I think I once checked his first album out, but the grunt vocals put me of..

The latest edition of the musicians magazine I read, had an interview and a good review of this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post

The latest edition of the musicians magazine I read, had an interview and a good review of this album.
    I've never heard the first Ayreon album, but I don't remember grunt vocals on any of the others, so they should be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post

It's definitely worth checking out some of the early to mid phase Ayreon records, some of the material there is very good.

In spite of the great line-up, I think this is probably the weakest of the Ayreon albums. In fact, by the time the second half rolled around, I found myself hardly paying attention. Will try again. Hopefully a grower.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    In spite of the great line-up, I think this is probably the weakest of the Ayreon albums. In fact, by the time the second half rolled around, I found myself hardly paying attention. Will try again. Hopefully a grower.
    I think it is a grower. It's the first Arjen-related album I really didn't like at all on first listen, but after a few more I found myself liking it a lot more (and after watching the making of DVD). I think it's quite good, but largely stuff we've all heard before. Love that Emerson "Lucky Man"-style solo though!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

my take is that pretty much everything (apart from Guilt Machine) is a collection of poppy/AOR shorter songs glued together to make one big whole. That was quite obvious for me on Equation and 01010 (etc). Regardless who plays or sings.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    my take is that pretty much everything (apart from Guilt Machine) is a collection of poppy/AOR shorter songs glued together to make one big whole. That was quite obvious for me on Equation and 01010 (etc). Regardless who plays or sings.
    Not sure if you are just pointing that out or it that is meant as a criticism. I have no problem with that method of putting a project together; works well for a rock opera such as this.

I'm a little confused after 1.5 spins. Too much going on and it all seems to be disjointed musically. There are some great instrumental moments which only stay for a short while with no theme developments, climaxes etc etc. The only thing which holds all of that together is the story. But I'm after music first and foremost. Special mention goes to vocal abilities of Hietala and Karevik. I only wish they had more space. yeah, unsure at this stage...

I can see the point a bit about not developing themes, but on the other hand it's mostly all pretty familiar sounding...it doesn't take that much repetition to sink in or anything. Instead of finding resolution in returning themes one has to be satisfied with whatever familiar hook/riff comes along next. (Arjen says the entire album was composed serially and in the order the songs appear on the album -- spontaneously moving from one idea on to the next idea that felt right.)

I've heard the first disc about 3 times, the second disc maybe 1 and a half times. It's a lot to take in all at once, but it does seem to have a pretty good flow. I haven't had the time to sit down with lyrics in hand to get an idea of the story he's telling.
    <sig out of order>

I don't believe much in growers, growing etc. I think that it is possible that with the development of one's taste there are albums/artists which you didn't dig at first, but then you get it. The thing is that I think that Lucassen is good and there is much to like about his music. If you're into it, you're into it. It's just that there are albums out there which really don't work - no matter what growing. One more thing which is true - I think that there are no albums/movies which everybody likes. Even the most praised ones have earned some critique from somebody who didn't like it.

Hey All:

I ordered this from InsideOut 10/3. Live in Washington State (USA)

Wasn't this released 10/28?

18 days later and no word of shipment. Burning Shed is Excellent about posting information....so I can look for the packet.

Has anyone on the West Coast received their copy? Does InsideOut sent posting emails?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

It looks like mr. Lucassen gets some attention in the Dutch mainstream press with this album. This month a large interview in a musicians magazine and today a 2 page interview in the newspaper I read, which wasn't really known for it's love for progressive rock.

Signed for the "box" Saturday. Have it now.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga