Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double album Sequencing

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Don't forget, the raised center section under the label was the major area of contact for the drop and to spin the record above it. The raised edge was the secondary.
    There was also a record label, forget which now, was it RCA Victor?, who put little ridges around the perimeter of the raised label area. The idea was that when one of these ridgey LPs dropped on top of another of these ridgey LPs, the ridges would lock into each other and prevent turning against each other.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    {Accutrac+6 video}
    And if the record skipped, a little robot hand would pop up and tape a quarter to the tonearm.

And these days the heavier an LP is the better quality it presumably has (180 gram vinyl, etc.) but I remember back in '72 I bought The Best of The Guess Who on RCA where inside the gatefold it said

"dynaflex is the RCA trademark for a new development in record manufacturing that provides a smoother, quieter surface and improved ability to reproduce musical sound. This lightweight record also virtually eliminates warpage and turntable slippage."

And, of course

"RCA stereo records may be played on any modern phonograph with a lightweight tone arm. You will hear excellent sound reproduction on a mono player and full stereo sound on a stereo player."

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    And these days the heavier an LP is the better quality it presumably has (180 gram vinyl, etc.) but I remember back in '72 I bought The Best of The Guess Who on RCA where inside the gatefold it said

"dynaflex is the RCA trademark for a new development in record manufacturing that provides a smoother, quieter surface and improved ability to reproduce musical sound. This lightweight record also virtually eliminates warpage and turntable slippage."

And, of course

"RCA stereo records may be played on any modern phonograph with a lightweight tone arm. You will hear excellent sound reproduction on a mono player and full stereo sound on a stereo player."
    Normal records were 120 gram, with some as low as 109. Heavyweight Japanese audiophile pressings were 180 grams, with some rumors of a 220 gram record. Dynaflex was typically 90 grams, and in my experience anyway, very very noisy.

I remember the Accutrac! It seemed like science fiction when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I've seen a few like that, but all of the double and triple LPs I own go 1/2, 3/4, etc.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    IIRC there was a sea change in the '70s when automatic turntables became commonplace. Prior to that most albums were 1/2, 3/4. Suddenly everything started being released as 1/4, 2/3. I believe it pretty much stayed that way until the end of the LP. Of course not all double albums were meant to be played straight through -- samplers like the recently-discussed Warner Brothers loss leaders were 1/2, 3/4.
    Yeah, indeed this sequencing was done for these turntable poles holding up the next disc to drop down (my dad had one of those but never used it)... They appeared in the later 70's when the vinyls weighghed considerably less and were more flexible... Despite that I neverwanted to use them, because it seem unsafe for scratches, skidding between stacked discs while playing(and rotating at the right speed, dust unprotected discs because the lids had to be taken away , etc....

This disrupted sequencing didn't really bother me, and I don't recall seeing that many of them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Normal records were 120 gram, with some as low as 109. Heavyweight Japanese audiophile pressings were 180 grams, with some rumors of a 220 gram record. Dynaflex was typically 90 grams, and in my experience anyway, very very noisy.
    To be honest, despite having a Yamaha Hi-Fi (CR-1010 & YPB-41), I didn't question those flexadisc's sonic capacities... but those bloody things did warp and there were many bad pressings.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

remember these:

Mine were always lost so I'd play the 45 without the insert. At some point the disk would get all wobbley. It was a good way to screw up a disk.

I always wanted one of these for my 45s:

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    remember these:

Mine were always lost so I'd play the 45 without the insert. At some point the disk would get all wobbley. It was a good way to screw up a disk.

I always wanted one of these for my 45s:

I remember we had a few different 45 adapters over the years. We had one that was sort of rectangular shaped for one turntable. At least one record player had the adapter built in, you could collapse it when you wanted to play an LP or 12" single (or a 10" record, if you owned any of those). We also had at least one adapter like in this photo:

green1.jpg

And I also have a vague memory of occasionally carefully placing the 7" on the turntable without the adapter, so we must have reached a point where all the adapters were lost (though I could swear that at least one of the turntables we had a little recessed area on the side for the adapter). As I recall it wasn't that difficult to get the record to play correctly without the adapter, because of the way the turntable itself was designed (with lines in the right places that you could align with the edges of the record.

Anyone remember those flexible records that used to come with magazines? Guitar Player and Guitar World used them extensively during the mid 80's. That's how I first heard Steve Morse, Bill Evans, Stephen Scott, Controlled Bleeding, Patrick Moraz, Suzanne Ciani, Tony MacAlpine (I think the track GP used on that one still has never appeared on CD), I think David Torn, and a few others. One of the Keyboard magazine ones had a version of Zappa's Black Page played entirely on the Synclavier.

As I recall, side one of the record would have a track that related to an article in that issue of the magazine (say, an otherwise unreleased record of Derek And The Dominos performing Little Wing to go along with a cover story on Clapton), and the flip side would have an advertisement of some sort. I remember one had Steve Morse demonstrating JBL amps by playing excerpts from his then new album (I think it was Stand Up at the time). Another had this instrumental that was recorded entirely on the Kurzweil 250 sampler. One had this ridiculous Aphex Aural Exciter ad that featured a Dragnet parody ("Aural Exciter? Sounds like a job for vice!"). Yet another was basically a plug for some pop singer disguised as a promo for some new digital reverb, where like every instrument on was allegedly processed through that particular model reverb.

I also remember Guitar Player doing a contest where the winner got to have his song on a Soundpage. I think there were two or three winners the first year, one of which was this guy who did a track called SPAK (I think that's right), which was this sort of free jazz thing, which sparked a shitstorm in the "letters to the editor" pages, because apparently a lot of people didn't "get" it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    How about CD oddities? On The Collected Works of Schicke, Fuhrs, and Frohling the first track on the second disc is numbered 13 instead of 1 (there are 12 tracks on disc 1). Some players can't deal with it, I just put it in my laptop drive and it didn't know what to do with it.
    Shit, you should NOT have mentioned that here, dude!

remember these:

Remember these?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I could swear that at least one of the turntables we had a little recessed area on the side for the adapter.
    Yeah, mine did.

Also, my first CD player had an indentation in the tray so it could play those stupid-ass 3" CDs. I had like two of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, my first CD player had an indentation in the tray so it could play those stupid-ass 3" CDs. I had like two of those.
    I have a This Heat 3" CD (I think it's "Health & Efficiency") and I have a sampler 3" CD from some classical label. Never seen any others.

There were digital video-recorders that used the 3" disc, weren't there?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, mine did.

I never had any of those. I remember the local record store had a few of them. As I recall, that was what was supposed to take the place of the 7" single in the CD format, but it never really took off. I was told you had to buy an adapter for it, but I think by the time I got around to thinking about it, I was told the 3" CD format was already deemed a failure and was being phased out, and thus I shouldn't waste the money.

There were digital video-recorders that used the 3" disc, weren't there?
    I think that was a different format - they were in little plastic cases that you slid into the recorder. Or am I talking about something different?

In that 3" CD format, I had one by The Alarm - actually, it had like four tracks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As I recall, that was what was supposed to take the place of the 7" single in the CD format, but it never really took off. I was told you had to buy an adapter for it
    Yes. Just as the 45 adapter would fit in the hole, the 3" CD adapter was a plastic ring that went around the outside to bring it up to full size.

http://www.libertyphotoproducts.com/...,1885,1094.htm

Yes. Just as the 45 adapter would fit in the hole, the 3" CD adapter was a plastic ring that went around the outside to bring it up to full size.

http://www.libertyphotoproducts.com/...,1885,1094.htm
    I have one of those but am scared to use it most of the time. A CD spins a whole lot faster than an LP.

Anyone remember those flexible records that used to come with magazines?
    Yeah. Anyone remember flexible vinyl disks that came as part of the sugary, kid cereal box. Must've been 1969-70 there was a sugary, sickly sweet, kid cereal that had a record on (not in) the back of the box of cereal that you had to cut out with scissors. One cereal I had had the bubblegum pop hit "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies. That would probably be a collectible today (in pristine condition of course).

There were quite a few of those back in the day.
    Certain songs credited to the fictional 1960s-1970s band The Archies were released as cardboard records printed directly on boxes of breakfast cereal. Other groups, such as the Monkees and the Jackson 5 also had records released on the backs of cereal boxes during this time. These records, if found in pristine condition, have significant value among collectors as well.
    In fact I don't think it ever happened, but this raises the possibility of a record being released where the COVER contains the grooves and the disc inside has the liner notes!

^I knew someone would come through. Now post a pic of the sugary cereal box with the Archies hit .

^I knew someone would come through. Now post a pic of the sugary cereal box with the Archies hit .
    I'll do better than that.