Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help choosing 42" flat screen TV

Got the Panasonic TC-50LE64 from Costco, 699.00 . 50" with smart add ons. Cheaper than the Samsungs and what looked to be an equal picture if no slightly better. Am setting it up tommorrow when I get some help moving the 250# CRT it is replacing. Looked great in the store.

A new TV is always a great hook up

Congrats and enjoy

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Im about to pull the trigger on an Samsung LD at Costco. Increadably cheap with 60 dollars extra extending the in home service to 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    "In home service"? Really? If there's even the possibility that the thing would crap out within five years, then it ain't worth the time it takes to wheel it out to your car. But knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

Yea it does make me feel better. Thank you for the permission to do so.

Any consumer advocate would tell you not to do that. Here's just one...

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...ranties/nCkrm/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Got the new Panasonic TC-L42E60 (LED with LCD backlighting) yesterday and set it up. Looks pretty damned good, considering I didn't have any time to do any custom settings - just used the built in Home Theater setting with the smoothing turned off. Also, the 42" screen fits much better in our home!

One weird and possibly bad thing is that the wi-fi antenna or whatever picks up the wi-fi signal seems to be less sensitive than the 50" Viera we're returning, and our router is a bit far from the TV, so it's only getting one bar. But I think I can connect the DVR to the TV with a LAN cable instead of using the wi-fi - have to check with Verizon on that.

BTW, we starting using Netflix as soon as we got the 50" tv and continue to use it with this replacement, and we're totally addicted. I wish they had a more complete selection , but still, it's so cool to search for something and if it's there, just start watching. I remember when on demand viewing like that was just a vision of the future.

May I ask why you returned the 50" Viera? Was size the only issue?

May I ask why you returned the 50" Viera? Was size the only issue?
    Yeah, size was really the only issue.

Does anyone know of a tv available including dvr? I've never been interested in dvr but think I would like the option now. I don't want to pay my cable company another $13 a month for it. I want to get a new tv as my 42" LG is now 6 years old and starting to show some red dots on the blank screens when switching between inputs. I don't see them during shows but figure it won't be long now. I'm lookong for 42" up to 50 ', I think 47" would be ideal. Would like at least 3 HDMI inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Does anyone know of a tv available including dvr? I've never been interested in dvr but think I would like the option now. I don't want to pay my cable company another $13 a month for it. I want to get a new tv as my 42" LG is now 6 years old and starting to show some red dots on the blank screens when switching between inputs. I don't see them during shows but figure it won't be long now. I'm lookong for 42" up to 50 ', I think 47" would be ideal. Would like at least 3 HDMI inputs.
    I don't think this exists, because the provider (such as Verizon, Time Warner Cable, etc) provides the DVR, but never the TV. But how are you getting cable without a DVR? Usuallyyou need the DVR to unscramble the signal, unless you are connected directly to the TV and only receiving the most basic channels, which is sometimes possible.

LG used to be the primary manufacturer that offered built in DVRs. Not sure if the still offer models with this though. If I recall the big issue with the built in DVRs was you lost integration with the cable companies on screen guide and scheduling was troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But how are you getting cable without a DVR? Usuallyyou need the DVR to unscramble the signal, unless you are connected directly to the TV and only receiving the most basic channels, which is sometimes possible.
    Not true. I have full HD cable service and no DVR. I do have box provided by the cable company, but no DVR.

Yes, I have an HD box but no dvr, cable company wants another $13 a month for that. I'm only looking for a basic unit, don't need 10 channels at a time! Looks like cheapest ones are about $100, anyone have input as to what I should be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not true. I have full HD cable service and no DVR. I do have box provided by the cable company, but no DVR.
    It is the same with DirecTV - you can get either an HD receiver, or an HD DVR

I have 6 outlets in my crib, all 6 are DVR

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    I have a Panasonic TC-L42E50 LED LCD set. I got it for about $549 a few months back and while I am a huge fan of Plasma this is the perfect set for my bedroom. 1080P with 120 refresh rate. Not WiFi out of the box but for $50 you can add the Panasonic Dongle and have access to Netflix, etc. Of course if you get the Oppo you are covered.
    I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player from a few years ago and would like to get the Dongle to stream Netflix. DY-WL10 is what I need. Where can you get it at a reasonable price? When I searched in the past, it was around $100. Thanks.

Bringing this thread back to life to ask some audio questions:

Ok, so the 42" LCD TV and Oppo BR player are working fine. Now I'm thinking of getting a wireless 5.1 speaker system - anyone have good experiences with any? Was just reading about this one on Amazon:

VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers
    http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-B...s+5.1+speakers

Also, do you think the optical Digital Audio Output on the TV would be good for relaying the 5.1 sound from the Oppo to the speakers? (the front speakers aren't wireless - they're all in a sound bar). And would this be good for DVDs and BRs with 5.1 music, not just movies?

Sorry if this is very slap dash - just starting to think about it. Had a wired 5.1 system once, and the wife couldn't handle the wires.

Also, one of the digital inputs on the soundbar is USB - so USB can transmit 5.1 signals?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.