Thread: Banco's "Darwin!" - Revised Tracklist

Banco's "Darwin!" - Revised Tracklist

So I have to admit I've always had a bit of a problem with the landmark "Darwin!" album. Side 1 (consisting of the two long tracks) was always a grabber, but I could never get into Side 2 (consisting of five shorter tracks). The album seemed too split to me. And as it is very long for an Italian prog album (47 minutes!) I just never found the frame of mind to appreciate it as a whole.

Well, I've fixed that!

I re-sequenced the album into two complimentary and even halves, which for me works far better as a cohesive listen.

Side One (20 min)
    Cento Mani E Cento Occhi (5:22)
    La Conquista Della Posizione Eretta (8:42)
    Miserere Alla Storia (5:58)

Side Two (21 min)
    Danza Dei Grandi Rettili (3:42)
    L'Evoluzione (13:59)
    Ed Ora Io Domando Tempo Al Tempo Ed Egli Mi Risponde ... Non Ne Ho! (3:29)

...I dropped "750,000 Anni Fa ... L'Amore?" as I think removing it improves the flow, and I don't like it very much. It sounds more like an opera outtake (with a short proggy bridge) than a progressive rock song.

Try burning a cdr with this sequence and tell me it isn't better. I think "Darwin!" would have been more successful and impactful had it been released this way originally. They screwed up back in 1972!

I can't even imagine listening to Darwin! any other way. I love the track order, and "750,000 Anni Fa ... L'Amore?" is my favourite from side two. I guess we don't agree on this, but I can appreciate making your own version of an album, as I've done that with other albums. But this one has to start with "L'Evoluzione". It just has to.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

...I dropped "750,000 Anni Fa ... L'Amore?"

and I don't like it very much.

Well, if it works for you, okay... to each their own.

A mutated album (with a few transposed elements and a deletion) about evolution seems appropriate enough I think I'll stick with the original though.

Well, that is supposed to be a concept album, if you mix the track order it kind of doesn't make sense anymore, at least to me. Would you mix the order track of an english-sung concept album too, or it's just an issue with the language?

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    Well, that is supposed to be a concept album, if you mix the track order it kind of doesn't make sense anymore, at least to me. Would you mix the order track of an english-sung concept album too, or it's just an issue with the language?
    Well I admittedly have no idea what they're singing about, so the concept and lyrics are lost on me. I only understand English. But I guess that means my tracklist is the better musically since the original only hangs together based on the words, while mine is based solely on the music!

I see. I don't think i agree with that, to me it sounds right just the way it is, even if admittedly i was never too fond of the last tune myself.

Anyways, you might find this translation helpful:
    http://www.arlequins.it/translations/Banco-Darwin.asp

i hope this can change your mind on this incredible album

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Try burning a cdr with this sequence and tell me it isn't better.
    Okay, done...and: it isn't better.

But hey, glad you have a mutated version that you prefer; at the end of the day, it's all just music to enjoy
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

By doing this you only "improved" upon it for yourself. And that is fine. Who else could such a thing have been done for? I quite like it the way it is.