Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you Prog fabs out there are MUSICIANS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many of you Prog fabs out there are MUSICIANS?

I have found, thru the years, that Prog music has a very high percentage of fans who play an instrument to at least
    some degree, or are even quite accomplished musicians who have played in decent (or better) bands.

How many of you Proggers out there fit in either category?

And how many PFs are there who don't play music at all, but somehow have developed a taste for the complexities
    and other qualities of Prog? (These folks must have been simply born with good taste).

I play guitar/bass/keyboard, and have played in bands since high school, although sadly, not in
    recent years.

Is it hard for non-musicians to appreciate much Prog music?
    That has been my perception thru the years, at least in the past.

I play guitar and can also play bass, keyboards (somewhat) and drums (for a few minutes, then I get tired). I think my interest, or obsession, with prog is partly based on my affinity for math and partly based on that I outgrew the classic rock that I grew up listening to. Today, I find most ordinary rock to be boring to listen to. I haven't been playing much guitar over the past 2-3 years and when I do pick it up, I don't necessarily play much prog, I will play whatever I can remember which is usually classic rock. So I don't know that just because I'm a musician it has led me down this path (prog) at all. But certainly understanding music helps me appreciate prog.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarRanger View Post
    Is it hard for non-musicians to appreciate much Prog music?
    That has been my perception thru the years, at least in the past.
    I am a musician, to some extent. I've played bass and guitar for about 35 years, and also have some ability on keyboards. I composed the music for my band, Eccentric Orbit's, first album and wrote a bulk of material for our eventually forthcoming second album. I also write and play music in other styles, mostly rock oriented.

As far as your question, I'd say I basically agree. I think it's hard for non-musicians to appreciate or recognize certain aspects of Prog, and that leads to a lot of music that really isn't all that interesting or sophisticated being included in the "P/progressive Rock" style and an ongoing confusion of what the important/definitive elements of the style really are. I think, for lack of a better term, that the "bar is higher" for musicians as to what constitutes Progressive Rock, and that much of the "Prog" that non-musicians like the most is not as musically interesting as the bands that appeal to musicians. I'd also say this is a barrier to those who fear even the most benign Prog bands. Most listeners go for the easy, safe and familiar, and don't really care much for musical complexity, virtuosity, compositional experimentation, or other aspects that make Prog appealing to its fan base. Thus the relative unpopularity Prog in a time where it isn't fashionable to be musically unfashionable.

Back in the 70s, when I was just getting into "Prog," someone told me that I liked "music for musicians." While I don't think liking the Prog/Fusion guys that I was getting into was/is exclusive to musicians, I think it is far easier for musicians to appreciate what the really good exponents of these styles did, and far easier for musicians to tell the wheat from the chaff within the Prog/Fusion styles. That said, kudos to those non-musicians who have a wide listening palette and discriminating tastes.

Bill

I tried to play guitar way back when, but realized that I lacked the dexterity and memory to consider pursuing it. I went through the 70's prog era liking the sounds of Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Rush , etc. Then I trodded through the 80's and 90''s listening to the hair bands,etc. until I reintroduced myself to the secong coming of prog, and I haven't looked back. I feel that music in general is heard through the ears, whereas prog music is heard through the soul.

I suppose it depends on how you define "musician" (I get the impression certain former acquaintances of mine had a different definition than I had). I play guitar, have done so for close to 30 years, but was never able to get it together to get a band. No, not even a garage band. I think I'm a decent guitarist, but I've never really played with other people (despite knowing lots of musicians) and I've never really played professionally in any capacity. But I have written a few compositions here and there.

Anyway, I gather some people wouldn't consider me a musician. (shrug)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I suppose it depends on how you define "musician" (I get the impression certain former acquaintances of mine had a different definition than I had). I play guitar, have done so for close to 30 years, but was never able to get it together to get a band. No, not even a garage band. I think I'm a decent guitarist, but I've never really played with other people (despite knowing lots of musicians) and I've never really played professionally in any capacity. But I have written a few compositions here and there.

Anyway, I gather some people wouldn't consider me a musician. (shrug)
    I'm somewhat in the same boat. I played guitar for many years and was pretty mediocre at it, then recently I switched to keyboards - self-teaching myself to play them - and I found I'm much more a natural keyboard player. But, I've never played with anyone else, never been in a band. Mainly because I don't think I could find like-minded musicians at my age who play at my lower level, and I'm insecure that I really know what I'm doing. Maybe if I was 18, OK... but not at 50. I have fun anyways!! Enjoy listening to people who can really play too.

Ive been a professional bass player (as in: its my job) for almost 30 years. I am also a vocalist. I also play keyboards and I have been the keyboard player/vox in bands for periods in my career. I consider my fortes funk/jazz/blues but I love all styles of music with Prog (any type) as one of my personal faves...........I have mostly made my living playing popular (Top 40) dance and pop, blues, rock, jazz and country.

I am also a music programmer, having started doing MIDI music in 1989 and progressively evolving with the technology

I have done gigs and/or recorded with some household names over the decades and I am friends with many of these.

I was in a signed industrial band in the 90s.

These days, I still play bass as the bulk part of my income but I am also a web developer and Java programmer/software developing
    Last edited by klothos; 09-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Guilty as charged. I've played in bands and written songs for almost 40 years now. While I appreciate virtuosity it's not something I possess or pursue. I spend more time improving my writing and recording skills than practicing an instrument. And while I've been a prog fan since the early 70's, I still like all kinds of other music.

I own guitars. I can make sounds out of them. Have you ever seen Charles Barkley golf? That's me playing the guitar. I can play in some very complex time signatures when I'm trying to play in 4/4.

OK...I'm not THAT bad, but I wouldn't call myself a musician. I'm sure if I tried to be serious and practices every day for a couple of hours, I'd be Ok in a year.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I actually own a bunch of instruments (including guitars, basses, mandolins, a cello, a violin, a three piece drum kit, a very cheap keyboard), and know the rudiments of how to play each one, but would be pretty helpless to actually play an entire song on any of them right now. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll actually devote some time to seriously practicing one of them, but it hasn't happened yet.

I am not a musician, but had several years of piano lessons when I was a kid and played French Horn through my school years in band and orchestra. I did not keep up on either instrument as I got older, but there is no doubt in my mind that having attempted to play those two instruments has had a direct influence on my appreciation of more complex music.

Steve Sly

I'm not a musician and have no problem appreciating the complexities of any of the music I listen to.

Started Sax at 10 and Bass at 15. (from another thread, turned on to prog with Roundabout at 12) Shortly after High School was in a little band working out Rush tunes (we did a mean 2112) with a fellow High School alum on vocals....We called him "Jeff" Tate back then.....left that to go into Engineering. (and a sure paycheck)
    Fast forward to the 90's. Played Bass in a Balkan / Greek band. Somehow time sigs in 25/8, 10/4 etc came naturally to me....in the 2000's was in a Celtic Rock Band on Bass......recorded a couple CD's before the band imploded.....Always looking for another band to get into.....over the years, I never really developed playing by ear but could sight-read like no ones business......always had an affinity towards playing original music over covers....have WAY to much gear.....mostly Basses, Bass Pedals and recording gear along with a PA that can mic. a small town!....see above regarding Engineering and a paycheck.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Professional musician for 35 years now. I took piano lessons when I was 8, switched to guitar when I was 10, played in bands throughout high school and finally got serious about it and started practicing my ass off when I graduated. When it was time to leave the nest and fend for myself, music was the only thing I had some experience with and I started gradually breaking into the scene here in Chicago. It was a little rough at first, but I was making an actual living by the time I was 24. I feel like music chose me rather than the other way around. I just kind of fell into it and never thought about what I wanted to be and what kind of "real job" I'd have when I grew up. It hasn't proved to be the most lucrative profession, but I've managed to make a living at it all of these years. I gripe about some of the kinds of music I have to play to pay the bills, but if I had to do it all over again, I would. Only I'd learn how to snag a woman with money this time around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Professional musician for 35 years now. I took piano lessons when I was 8, switched to guitar when I was 10, played in bands throughout high school and finally got serious about it and started practicing my ass off when I graduated. When it was time to leave the nest and fend for myself, music was the only thing I had some experience with and I started gradually breaking into the scene here in Chicago. It was a little rough at first, but I was making an actual living by the time I was 24. I feel like music chose me rather than the other way around. I just kind of fell into it and never thought about what I wanted to be and what kind of "real job" I'd have when I grew up. It hasn't proved to be the most lucrative profession, but I've managed to make a living at it all of these years. I gripe about some of the kinds of music I have to play to pay the bills, but if I had to do it all over again, I would. Only I'd learn how to snag a woman with money this time around.
    Very inspiring, Ernie. "If I had to do it all over again, I would." There's no higher praise than that for a life well chosen.

Don't know if there is a woman in your life, but, though we laugh at the idea of "snagging a woman with money," I think most would be surprised at the vast number of noted musicians and artists in general who have perfected their art and survived due to "the kindness of strangers", lovers and friends! But, then, it takes a special person and/or talent to inspire that kind of help.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynoland View Post
    Very inspiring, Ernie. "If I had to do it all over again, I would." There's no higher praise than that for a life well chosen.

Don't know if there is a woman in your life, but, though we laugh at the idea of "snagging a woman with money," I think most would be surprised at the vast number of noted musicians and artists in general who have perfected their art and survived due to "the kindness of strangers", lovers and friends! But, then, it takes a special person and/or talent to inspire that kind of help.
    Well, the reason for that comment was that I've always ended up with women who made less money than me, including my current "sweeter half" (of the past 6 years) who works her ass off as a medical assistant in pediatrics. She thinks I've got the coolest, cushiest job in the world! I don't think so; it's got it's trials and tribulations like any other job. I spend much more time playing music that I'm not too fond of than I do playing what I'd like to be playing. Then there's a lot of time spent in transit and a good deal of sleep deprivation involved. But I admit, it's got it's perks and things could be a whole lot worse! I generally get paid pretty well per hour; it's accumulating enough hours that can be the troublesome part. But hell, I've seen many of my fellow musicians fall by the wayside and take non-music related jobs over the past 10 years and somehow I've managed to stay in the game. I do have a good work ethic and a non-abrasive personality (which I'll accept credit for), but I think most of it is just dumb luck. And believe me, I'm grateful!

I wouldn't be considered a musician by most but I do have a musical foundation. I played trumpet and trombone in school, read charts, and the whole magilla. Reading charts is a little more challenging for some than others, but it's like any skill. You practice and perform until it becomes second nature. At one time or anather I've owned electric and acoustic guitars, amps, a cheap bass, congas, timbales, cowbells, tamborines, etc. I've played in bands before. Even when I used to attend church I was always playing some instrument during worship service. Never got into keyboards though. I've always been an active music listener so I really appreciate the musicianship of prog, jazz, metal, etc.

I've been a professional (though mostly part-time) bass player for about 20 years. I have my own projects, bands, etc. that I've played with, but also do a lot of freelance work, mostly jazz. So people call me if they need a bass player for a gig, function, recording session or whatever. I am a bass player because of Chris Squire. So it was prog that got me into playing an instrument in the first place...but not JUST prog. At that time I listened to a lot of Yes, ELP, Genesis, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream...

I would bet that the percentage of prog fans who play an instrument or are somehow musical has got to be pretty high. On the other hand, it also depends how you define "prog fan." My wife is a fan of Yes, early Genesis, some early Crimson, and some other things that I might call "prog"...but she definitely wouldn't call herself a prog fan and doesn't play an instrument. She does have a good ear and played some piano eons ago.

I am. Sort of. But what I do, mostly free improv these days (although I've been involved in several King Crimson-related projects in the distant past), would certainly not appeal to everyone here.
    (links in my profile for those with a bold soul and the urge to know)
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.

I play keyboards, guitar, bass and drums. This impresses people at work who ask "is there any instrument you don't play?" My answer to that is "I don't play the larynx. I can't play the larynx to save my life."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I am.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

I play guitar, some keys, synths, noises/etc.. I recently started singing in my art-rock band. I studied jazz in college and I currently play in a variety of art-rock, improvisation, and experimental jazz groups. I just love writing, playing, and recording original music and sounds!

I am one but only because the listening was so rewarding, I wanted to make it to get even closer to it.

But how many of you are fab?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    But how many of you are fab?
    Four. Oh wait, they're not on this forum.