Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The NWoBPR Underground Bands

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Several here I've never heard of. But what band(s) was Peter Matuchniak in? I know some of his recent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Several here I've never heard of. But what band(s) was Peter Matuchniak in? I know some of his recent stuff.
    Mach One and Janysium.

Thumbs up on the mentions of Dagaband, Edge and Gizmo. Let’s not forget the all-instrumental Gemini. There’s also Tamarisk, who only released a demo cassette, and the horribly-named BunChakeze, whose work only just came out posthumously.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Comeback Album by Multi Story in July

Last edited by TheH; 06-25-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Comeback Album by Multi Story in July

Great to see Multi Story are playing again. East West is an excellent record. Looking forward to seeing them in Swansea in September!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Recently found a used copy of East/West, interesting if non-essential slice o'neo.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Recently found a used copy of East/West, interesting if non-essential slice o'neo.
    Avoid their follow-up album, which is Asia-style AOR.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Avoid their follow-up album, which is Asia-style AOR.
    Actually, that doesn't sound at all bad to me. I'll see if I can find a copy.

The Ire (the right ones this time) (also seem to have reformed)

Ranata Spirit (no your sound system ain't broken)

Catching up on this post. I'll always have a soft spot for the genre, as it came about just as I was getting into prog myself in the early 80s while still in high school. I can still remember the metal magazines of the day proclaiming "the Progressives are back!". And yes, it was called NWOBPR to contrast with the much more popular NWOBHM.

So what's the consensus on the new Multi-Story and Third Quadrant albums? (I didn't hear the samples)

This summer I re-listened to the Lahost archival album Erotic Antiques. It really captures the ethos of the era perfectly. Mark - I'm pretty sure you were the one who initially turned me onto it.

Another album I just heard for the first time this past year is from Lord Flimnap and it's titled Point of View. It's from 1989 Israel, but they really capture the 1982 UK vibe. It reminded me of Tamarisk and Trilogy (not sure the latter has been mentioned yet).

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Another album I just heard for the first time this past year is from Lord Flimnap and it's titled Point of View. It's from 1989 Israel, but they really capture the 1982 UK vibe. It reminded me of Tamarisk and Trilogy (not sure the latter has been mentioned yet).
    Lord Flimnap is a great album. I'm surprised that you haven't listened to it till lately, as it seemed to be around forever (well, since the early CD days)...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-21-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Lord Flimnap is a great album. I'm surprised that you haven't listened to it till lately, as it seemed to be around forever (well, since the early CD days)...
    Yep - I remember the name too, but I think by that time I was a little leery of what was being called Neo Prog (1989). The CD I did receive (it was a gift from a friend) is the domestic Israeli press from 2004 (Earsay).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not really underground, but I remember getting my first order from Laser's Edge - it contained the first Galahad album and the Pendragon "The Rest of Pendragon" CD which is early singles and stuff. I played them both back to back, and my wife had a look of barely suppressed horror. We were only recently married, or possibly not even yet but living together. She'd already had to semi-accept Marillion.

Protos:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...