Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NWoBPR Underground Bands

The NWoBPR Underground Bands

I recently stumbeld over this Video on Youtube:

Not only this might be the first time for ages that Steve Rothery and Diz Minnitt played live together,
    this Clip also features Howard Rogers from Liaison and Nigel "Child" Spennewyn from "Pride of Passion"
    (aka Blazing Apostels).

This brought back some sentimental memories about the 80s looking out for those "New Progressive Rock"
    (it wasn't called Neo back then) bands. Although many of those bands wouldn't make a big impression now,
    I was facinated by them back in the day.

Liasion

Pride of Passion (Blazing Apostels) are really a Pop band at best but somehow interresting because of their members like
    Diz Minnitt and Brian Jelliman from Marillion and a certain Mr. Steve Wilson (also Grant Gilmour from The Enids wider circle).

(Wilson is on the far left, I acually own this single released under the Pride of Passion name (not featuring S.W.)

Does anyone remember the large family of Silas releated bands?:

Silas (Ibey), The Ire, God's Acre, Stealing the Fire, Ranata Spirit, Earthstone, Hollow Earth, Terminus

Silas

The Ire (not sure if that is the right band)

Airbridge where a band whose album went down unnoticed and they broke up their vocalist
    Edward Percival was considered to enter Twelfth Night. They recently reformed and recorded an album.
    Edward Percival also has a new prog band.

Some of the members formed the better kown LaHost (The Host) featuring later Pendragon and Twelfth Night members.

Stephen Bennett and Sean Godfrey are also with Henry Fool!

Peter Matuchniak might be kown better know, but who kows his former bands Janysium or Mach One?

Tim Burness (Burnessence)

Trilogy

Mainframe

Coltsfoot

Twice Bitten

Grace (before the got more Neo)

Weo Goran

Edge (on of the best "unkown" bands)

Dagaband

Moriarty (newer track from 80s band)

Tamarisk

Gizmo (featuring Hugh Hooper)

Body

Interesting collection of videos here. Quite a few I had heard before but not the Twice Bitten one. Had seem that name over the years but I thought this was a really nice song. And a twin double neck guitar line up is quite an odd sight.

I always liked that BODY album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I always liked that BODY album.
    I also like it really well, still some old fashioned proggy spacey stuff. Like their second one too.

I've known about most of these through CDR trading years back. Very cool post!!!
    I've tried to collect the bands that managed to release on vinyl... Dagaband, Grace, Airbridge, Gizmo, Body.

John

I run a Yahoo group devoted to this scene. Link in my sig.

The Ire video is not the same NWOBPR Ire, who were a Hard Rock band with some Prog overtones.

Airbridge has a new EP out, not a full album. http://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/airbridge/return/ Ed Percival is in an XTC cover band, I'm not aware of any new Prog stirrings by him yet.

It turns out that Gizmo predated this scene by a good bit. Their first album was released in 1979, but they had a single out on President in 1976, which I only recently found out about (and acquired.)

I have recordings of a large number of the bands listed on my group's home page, but uploading tracks to youtube would be quite time consuming

Thanks for the Silas gig video. I'll have to ask Chris about it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Ire video is not the same NWOBPR Ire, who were a Hard Rock band with some Prog overtones.

Ed Percival is in an XTC cover band, I'm not aware of any new Prog stirrings by him yet.
    I thought that this might be the wrong band, but it was 20 years ago that I heard The Ire.

About Ed Percival from Airbridges Facebook page:
    "Ed's new prog band has reached the rehearsal stage. Mellotronanism will be unashamedly based in the textures of classic early 70s prog, but will be all original material. The odd Airbridge tune may be revisited"

And by the way looking at your CD want list: Some of those Japanese CDs will be reissued by King Records in the next months.
    (Pageant,Providence,Pazzo Farfano Musica)
    http://www.kingrecords.co.jp/cs/good...ogressive+rock

Ataraxia and second Providence where rereleased through Musea
    Last edited by TheH; 09-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.

I'm adamantly resisting Facebook, so anything posted there won't be noticed by me, unless reposted elsewhere.

Incidentally, some members of my Yahoo group started a NWOBPR group on Facebook, so it should be able to be found with a search.

If it were not for the capacity in Yahoo's Photos section, I'd close the group and start a blog which would be the visual side of the Facebook group. Of course, I'd still not join Facebook.

Eventually, I'm going to make a series of compilations available thru my group, but that's probably a long way off. Vickie will get a link regardless. <Fingers crossed>

I used to trade with several Germans back then. I wonder if you could be one of them?

Which video is Steven Wilson in here, and which guy is he in that video?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I used to trade with several Germans back then. I wonder if you could be one of them?
    Sorry, never traded tapes (or other stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by ampevents View Post
    Which video is Steven Wilson in here, and which guy is he in that video?
    The "Blazing Apostels (Pride of Passion) Video. Wilson is on the left playing keyboard. He's only shown for a few seconds.

_________
    Correction, you are right. He's not visible in that one (but he's there)

Another from that concert where he can actualy been seen
    Last edited by TheH; 09-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Some bands who where caught between NWoBPR and NWoBHM

Omega (who recorded as Apocalypse bevor and after this album)

Kooga (from Wales, Hand of Dimes)
    Last edited by TheH; 09-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Multi-Story (one of the few bands who released full vinyl albums)

The Covenant (still out there)

Demon (a Metal band with a prog Phase)

I liked the one by Clotsfoot, never heard of them, and listening to some of these other obscure (to me) bands. Thanks for the light... These are pretty cool. I had no idea what the title was referring too: NWoBPR meant.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I liked the one by Clotsfoot, never heard of them, and listening to some of these other obscure (to me) bands. Thanks for the light... These are pretty cool. I had no idea what the title was referring too: NWoBPR meant.
    Sorry, I thought that it would be clear. I never refer to these bands as "Neo Prog" 'cause I think they where much more daring and diverse than the usual (rather boring) Neo stuff these days.

Yep, "Neo-Prog" is a term that wasn't applied at the beginning of the "revival." (Yes, that term was used.) NWOBPR was used in correlation with the NWOBHM movement that happened just a few years earlier.

Sorry, I thought that it would be clear. I never refer to these bands as "Neo Prog" 'cause I think they where much more daring and diverse than the usual (rather boring) Neo stuff these days.
    Absolutely. It's why the term never made sense to me. If applied to the 90s acts that the term was applied to, it makes sense. If applied to the 80s bands, not so much,

Mellotronanism a new band by Edward Percival (ex Airbridge). Feels like the 80s

80s band Third Quadrant have a new CD out as well:

https://thirdquadrant.bandcamp.com/album/re-generator