Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to Music at Work

Listening to Music at Work

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.
    I always have in just about every job I've had. Now I work at home so it's even more wide open but all of my cubicle jobs I've had a pair of headphones and some way of listening to music.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...lease-everyone

A couple jobs I've had there's been muzak in the background. In my last job, there were some folks playing country music streaming from their PCs for everyone to enjoy. When I became an editor at a publishing company, with your office supplies you were given a pair of headphones. There were low grade but at least the company knew their employees work best when listening to what they want to.

Obligatory link to my blog post on the same topic:

http://jeroljohnson.org/2013/09/06/i...onable-volume/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Every day....

I used to stream (progrock.com or progstreaming.com), but that has been blocked over the years. Nowadays I fly around YouTube listening to playlists or full albums.

Through headphones only.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.
    Even though we have private offices, my volume only goes up to ten.

I am 'blessed ' with a private office.
    I have speakers with sub woofer and keep it to a low roar.
    I keep ripped copies of disc's on external storage and shuffle it throughout the day.
    It is easy to mute/pause, and it works for me.
    Management does the same thing so it is hard for them to complain.
    We frown on streaming, but many people do that to ear buds.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm not tied to a desk so it's difficult, and Pandora is blocked at the firewall because too many people were using up too much bandwidth. That said, I use my iPhone to listen to music or an internet news feed on my commute to & from work and can always tune in with it over the company wi-fi if stuck at my desk.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I used to have an office well away from everyone else so it was great for speakers now it's headphones everyday probably around 4 hours a day
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ipod at low volume, all fusion all the time.

I've uploaded at least 2000 hrs of music to my server-space at work. I listen to music 8 hrs a day via headphones in my cell, I mean cubical.

Best part of being self-employed and working at home. YouTube, Sugarmegs, Progstreaming, LoudCity, etc. It's all great.

Okay, maybe not the best part of working from home. That would be the fact that I don't have to kiss anybody's ass while they make all the money. That, and the ability to take a stroll out to the shed when I need some inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Best part of being self-employed and working at home.
    When I was a telecommuter the best part was attending meetings in my pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    When I was a telecommuter the best part was attending meetings in my pajamas.
    Why would somebody hold a meeting in your pajamas?

I don't listen much to music at work... I'm already way too often on the web, not to disperse myself with web radios.

If I di listen to some music (outside the odd YT link on PE), I sometimes stick a cD in the computer., I could listen to it without headphones at low volume (since we almost all of us have our own office), but I choose to be discreet.

The cute Spanish chick next door often has some opera (Bocelli). It sometimes bother me (I don't like much that kind of stuff), but she's really cool, and I hope to get in her pants in the next few weeks... so I put up with her music
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Because the elephant was one of the attendees before he got shot.

I have an old 8GB MP3 player with a broken power switch that I can only turn on by plugging it into the USB port, so I filled it up with stuff to listen to while working.

I have my own office so can pretty much listen to whatever I want as loud as I want. I work 2nd shift, so other than my crew there are not a lot of people around after 4PM or so, it is more laid back then during the day. I usually bring in CD’s since I have so many of them, but sometimes stream internet radio or MP3’s.

Steve Sly

There is a Muzak system at work, but its pretty good. Regularly played are XTC, Yes (your move), Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Life on Earth! (Dungen spin-off) and a lot of good modern indie. When we were being reroofed and had no system, I was able to bring cds-played some Camel, some Renaissance-stuff I thought wouldn't be too unfriendly to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No, because that's where the party is.

NP: Soft Machine, Gesolreut, NDR Jazz Workshop, Germany, May 17, 1973

NP: nada

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    touche.

One of Groucho's best lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    There is a Muzak system at work, but its pretty good. Regularly played are XTC, Yes (your move), Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Life on Earth! (Dungen spin-off) and a lot of good modern indie. When we were being reroofed and had no system, I was able to bring cds-played some Camel, some Renaissance-stuff I thought wouldn't be too unfriendly to the public.

not what I call muzak
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't want to think about him holding anything in his pajamas.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    not what I call muzak
    yeah, 'muzak' isn't what it used to be! already today i've heard both 'Generals & Majors' and 'Plans for Nigel'. who would have ever thought xtc would be 'muzak'?

Don't work. (retired 8 years). Use a 160GB iPod on the Harley and crank it going down the highway. Through the fairing speakers. Too difficult to search for tunes at 70mph while still holding on to the handlebars..... set up 5 - 6 hour playlists and off I go. Listen 8 - 9 hours / day while touring. Somehow....Hackett makes the best road trip toons.

OK, go ahead and Hate now......
    Last edited by Garyhead; 09-06-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Don't work. (retired 8 years). Use a 160GB iPod on the Harley and crank it going down the highway. Through the fairing speakers. Too difficult to search for tunes at 70mph while still holding on to the handlebars..... set up 5 - 6 hour playlists and off I go. Listen 8 - 9 hours / day while touring. Somehow....Hackett makes the best road trip toons.

OK, go ahead and Hate now......
    Hate!?!......I'm jelous!....retirement just a few yrs off for me.......ride on !