Thread: FEATURED CD-Morphelia-Waken the Nightmare

FEATURED CD-Morphelia-Waken the Nightmare

Today's feature suggestion comes from emperorken...

Review from ProgArchives (Marty McFly):
    Oh hi, let me introduce you to just another neo-prog from Germany (no insult taken please, I could easily said the same thing with other bands, something like "let me introduce you to another prog from UK"). But here I see strong chance of compare it with Martigan and others. Unfortunately, I don't want to pursue this path of compare everything with anything else, so let's focus just on music, shall we ?

Pleasant, forgiving, melodic, promising and giving. Feeling of fresh originality is always pleasant and I seek it more and more music I know, love and own. Not necessarily being experimental, just sounding new, or using sound patterns in new way. And this double CD monster, with its interesting lyrics (In the Captain's Room for example). And I don't care what exactly makes this music good, that's for you to find out, but I just enjoy that it works. A lot.

In fact, I hesitate between two best ratings at the moment to be honest. So first CD is perfect, there's little room to negative things, but second one is big mystery for me.

5(-), the answer (to the eternal question of life, universe and everything) is that their last stands is worth of masterpiece rating. Bring it on, more shine for this mildly dark band.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

For me, it's simply the best progressive album of 2009.

Very clearly not my cup of tea, however I am thrilled that we are seeing lesser known featured albums! Keep it up!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    lesser known featured albums!
    Lesser known... By whom? Even PW site have this article.

http://www.progressiveworld.net/html...ontent&id=4809

By many judging from the number of responses here. Either way you say it, not as popular, under the radar, less publicized, etc. the Featured Album works best when it turns people onto something they may not have heard already, not when it is an album we all have or have heard.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Never heard of it. I love the cover! But I think it's not my thing....and the words "mildly dark" make me laugh.

The is a very good neo-prog album. Sounds somewhat similar to Pendragon, and IQ. They caught lightning in a bottle with this one, as it is a huge step up from their earlier material (IMO).

I bought Waken The Nightmare a few years back and I like it a lot. I was grateful when I was turned on to it by another PE member. Truly a quality release across the board , from the band themselves through the production which I think is really good to the cover itself which is also very nice, kind of a higher quality digi pack , complete with a nice booklet and and artwork.

If you like neo you will probably like this one.

Great album and then they disappeared...............

I haven't heard this before, but I'm digging it!

The audio quality is a bit blah, though. Is that just because it's a YouTube, or does the actual CD sound better?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    By many judging from the number of responses here. Either way you say it, not as popular, under the radar, less publicized, etc. the Featured Album works best when it turns people onto something they may not have heard already, not when it is an album we all have or have heard.
    Yeah. I remember when this album came out, but completely forgot about it until I saw the suggestion. I couldn't remember a thing about it actually.

But yes, I'd say this qualifies as lesser known (or completely forgotten) if I used PA and YouTube as an indicator. On PA, only 2 reviews. On YouTube just this one clip of the album. That's by no means an exact science, but I DO post the features here and for a newer release, that's fairly low.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Wow they really do sound like IQ once he starts singing after the lengthy intro. I never heard of these guys until now. I like it enough to put it on a list. I wonder how good their debut was ? A 72 minute cd from 6 years earlier. This one is a double cd at almost 2 hours apparently.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

It's all relative folks. On here and in prog circles this cd might be considered obscure but let's face it, a band like Glass Hammer or the Flower Kings would be considered obscure to most non prog fans.

Anyway, I quite liked this clip also and like MS I put it on a list.

Have never heard this one. Bravo Featured Album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post

The audio quality is a bit blah, though. Is that just because it's a YouTube, or does the actual CD sound better?
    The audio quality is very good when listening to the cd.

Wow, I just got back from 5 days in Cabo and just realized this was posted. Thanks.

This was my #1 album from 2009. It is certainly not easy coming up with 2 hours of fresh neo prog in a concept album, but the band really pulled it off. The first disc has more of the heavy guitars, while the second disc has 2 of the finest neo-prog epics of recent memory, "In the Hall of Stormy Oceans", and "The End is the Beginning of the End". I think the compositions and the playing are excellent with many memorable melodies. Just a great release.

BTW, it is my understanding that the band IS working on a new album. Certainly looking forward to it.

I ordered this from the band's website last week and I've already got it in my hands. Chalk up another sale thanks to PE!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Been seriously enjoying this one. Disc two in particular is just outstanding stuff. Up there with Comedy Of Errors. Love it! Thanks again for this suggestion, I may have to check out their first album as well!

Excellent album but when will we see a new release?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Been seriously enjoying this one. Disc two in particular is just outstanding stuff. Up there with Comedy Of Errors. Love it! Thanks again for this suggestion, I may have to check out their first album as well!
    It's all good, but I agree about disc 2. I have their first cd also and it is a fine debut. Not nearly as good as this one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Excellent album but when will we see a new release?
    According to their website they are working on a new album. Hopefully sooner than later.

http://www.morphelia.de/en

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post

According to their website they are working on a new album. Hopefully sooner than later.

http://www.morphelia.de/en
    Great news! Can not wait!