Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Wetton Tours US w/District 97 Featuring Music of King Crimson-Video Preview

Saw this fantastic band at CalProg before they hit it "big"..
    Any future West coast dates ahead??

Just got home from the first gig of the tour, and it was stellar! Both Leslie and the old guy were awesome, and if you're sitting on a fence about going if they're in your area, get off quick and get a ticket!

I can't believe how much better Wetton's voice is now as compared to a few years ago.

I talked to several Crim fans who had never heard D97 before, and every one of them was floored! D97 is going to enlarge the hell out of their fanbase if Milwaukee is any indication. When they did "Schizoid Man" and perfectly nailed the sections with all the stops, the crowd (the place was full) went nuts!

I'm going to the Chicago gig at the end of the tour on 10/17 as well, with Little Atlas (with a new great album) opening.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for posting, Geez. I totally forgot that Cleveland is...well, actually it's TONIGHT. So I guess I'll have to go.

Chris! You won't be disappointed.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

How was the show.....do you have a setlist forthose of us who do not want to be surprised?
    Last edited by Dan Marsh; 10-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Tell us more!

You're dealing with an old man's short-term memory (fading exponentially) who's far more familiar with the first 4 KC albums than with the Wetton/Bruf era stuff. However, Jonathan did tell me that they're not going to be using the same set list every night. I've never been a "write down the setlist" kind of person anyway.

What I remember: D97's opening Wetton-less set included: "Open Your Eyes", the entire 27 minute "Mindscan", "The Actual Color", "Who Cares?" and 3 new songs never performed before (all superb). Nothing else from Hybrid Child besides "Mindscan".

The 2nd set opened with "The Perfect Young Man", which allowed Wetton to step onstage mid-song for his grand entrance to sing the parts he sang on D97's album. I remember that they did "Starless/Bible", but sorry, someone who's into later KC who was there will have to chime in for the other stuff besides "Schizoid".

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just got home from the first gig of the tour, and it was stellar! Both Leslie and the old guy were awesome, and if you're sitting on a fence about going if they're in your area, get off quick and get a ticket!

I can't believe how much better Wetton's voice is now as compared to a few years ago.

I talked to several Crim fans who had never heard D97 before, and every one of them was floored! D97 is going to enlarge the hell out of their fanbase if Milwaukee is any indication.
    Yeah, John Wetton sounded exactly like he did in 1973, best I've ever heard him. He also seemed to be having a ball on stage with the band. Great new tunes by D97 were featured as well, including a really cool one I liked by Patrick.

Sean, I can tell you that merch seemed to be selling like crazy. Lots of shirts (people wearing the shirts right away), posters, and people wanted that CD with that big epic MINDSCAN on it. John Wetton came out afterwards and signed autographs.

The 2nd set opened with "The Perfect Young Man", which allowed Wetton to step onstage mid-song for his grand entrance to sing the parts he sang on D97's album. I remember that they did "Starless/Bible", but sorry, someone who's into later KC who was there will have to chime in for the other stuff besides "Schizoid".
    I'm glad I'm not the only one not familiar with all the Crimson they played.

**********SPOILER ALERT***************

They did the opening vocal section of Starless, then went into Easy Money. Also did Lament, One More Red Nightmare, The Great Deceiver, and Schiziod.

Awesome Show!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Very much looking forward to the show at Jammin Java in Vienna,VA Tuesday. Some good seats still available: https://jamminjava.com/events/soar-p...strict97/seats

Tom

Can't wait to hear MINDSPAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Can't wait to hear MINDSPAN!
    You won't, but you might hear MINDSCAN!

Apparently this was just cancelled?

>>> 10/12-Chameleon Club at Cara Irish Pub, Dover, NH

Bummer for the band if true.
    <sig out of order>

Good show they did here in Cleveland. I thought it was kinda on the short side, but it was a very good performance. I was kinda wishing the guitarist had used a little more fuzz when playing solos on the Crimson material, but other than that, I thought the band sounded just fine.

You won't, but you might hear MINDSCAN!
    OOPS!

Marvellous show last night in Cleveland. I recall reading of JW having some serious problems some years back but you'd never know it now. Claims of him sounding as he did in 1973 are spot on. Not many of his generation can still do their music justice like that. "Backing" band wasn't half bad either...

I've seen this band four times now and they just keep getting better. They are young, full of energy and a very nice group of people. That counts alot. The Milwaukee show was stunning and JW was in fine voice. See this band.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Glad you're enjoying the shows, everyone. Thanks for your support! Yes, unfortunately the Saturdaytshow in NH us canceled. If anyone has idea for a replacement, please let us know.

Great show in Cleveland last night. Super talented people with a great energy. Mindscan left me gobsmacked. They did a pretty good job carrying the old fart through the second set as well. Show came in at just under two hours and I think a lot of people left as new D97 fans, me included.

Can't wait for the Sunday show at NJPH! As for Wetton, he sounded awesome at Nearfest last year, so I'm not surprised by the comments about his voice.

I'm looking forward to see them at Sellersville on Wed Night!

Thanks for the Jammin Java show, it was much fun.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I saw them earlier tonight at the Sellersville Theater and it was a really great show. I talked to the band briefly afterwards(Leslie even seemed to recognize me which was cool). I bought their two cds and got them to autograph the poster that I got free because I bought both cds. The show was excellent. The KC tunes were great and JW sounded great as well. As usual I saw a few familiar faces.

A very enjoyable show last night.

I really enjoyed the KC choices!