Thread: Planet P/Tony Carey !

Planet P/Tony Carey !

The other neo-prog thread prompted me to start this one . Have just been listening to Pink World clips on You Tube & I like what i heard. Never broke thru in the UK so they passed me by.
    Wheres the best place to start with Planet P &/or any Tony Carey albums?

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have the first one by them and it's pretty much a stinker. I kind of hate to say that since I always liked the song "why me" but it just sounded like generic 80's synth pop with pretty much no prog elements or very mild ones at best(other than maybe the aforementioned "why me" which I still maintain was a pretty decent track).

Scrotum has an appropriate handle , he usually talks out of his arse !

The drumming is better than Phil Collins.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I think what Scrotum Scissor really wanted to say is this:

Big fan of "Pink World" here. At the time it seemed like some of the only prog out there.

Steve Sly

Pink World is by far the best of the Planet P releases. I did enjoy the first two parts of Go Out Dancing (haven't heard the third), but they are much more straightforward.

Pink World is a great album. I have it on pink vinyl! Maybe not particularly "proggy" (whatever that means), but it's a fine fine record.

I have the impression that Carey's "solo" albums, the ones that were actually released under his own name, are sort of the Bruce Springsteen style of rock n roll. The big hit I remember was Fine Fine Day, which definitely sounds very much like a Springsteen type of thing.

I know I was bit shocked to find out that Tony Carey and Planet P were pretty much one and the same (I believe he played nearly all the instruments on the Planet P records). On the other hand, once his cover had been blown, it became obvious that was him singing on Why Me and the other singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    That 's not difficult to achieve ! I hears three 80"s Genesis tracks on Smooth FM today & reminded how bad his drumming was ,or was it a drum machine ? Couldn't tell the difference !

Jon Neudorf
    The only one I have is "Go Out Dancing Part One 1933. I like it. Very Floydy in places.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Scrotum has an appropriate handle , he usually talks out of his arse !
    Agreed. I vote his post of The Final Countdown vid the most random post ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    That 's not difficult to achieve ! I hears three 80"s Genesis tracks on Smooth FM today & reminded how bad his drumming was ,or was it a drum machine ? Couldn't tell the difference !
    Thanks a lot, Stickleback. Now you got him going. Btw, don't most Planet P songs used a drum machine? I have the debut and I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Agreed.
    + 1.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    + 1.
    WTF? You're agreeing that you talk out of your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    WTF? You're agreeing that you talk out of your ass?
    YES, JIF! OPEN YOUR EYES! OPEN YOUR ASS! DON'T FLY FROM HERE! IT'S PURE MAGNIFICATION IN THERE! YES! YES!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    YES, JIF! OPEN YOUR EYES! OPEN YOUR ASS! DON'T FLY FROM HERE! IT'S PURE MAGNIFICATION IN THERE! YES! YES!

Jon Neudorf
    I think this thread has officially derailed.

Regards,
    Jon

I like it. Jim Carey vs Tony Carey.
    Tony Carey on Rainbow Rising wins though!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I think this thread has officially derailed.

Regards,
    Jon
    ya think?!

back to the topic... I liked Pink World, but I cant remember what the first one sounded like
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned

I've always liked this song, even though it sounds like a song from The Boss(and that ain't a bad thing).

If anyone would like a physical CD copy of the self-titled Planet P Project, I'm happy to sell it off cheaply.
    PM me if interested or email rob@nearfest.com