Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fave Neo-Prog concept album ?

Fave Neo-Prog concept album ?

Hands down IQ's Subteranea .
    Been playing it today . Great album & just shows some bands can still return with a classic after a lull in quality !

Marillion's Brave

But Sub-T is right up there for me as well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Marillion's Brave

But Sub-T is right up there for me as well.
    Brave is indeed great , took quite a few spins to compute though . Looking fwd to live DVD . Anybody know a release date ?

Subterranea without a doubt.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Rufus must not be a fan of "Ever, " unless the dip he refers to is the Menel era.

"Pink World" by Planet P. Hogarth's screaming vocals on Brave did me in.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Rufus must not be a fan of "Ever, " unless the dip he refers to is the Menel era.
    My bad , was indeed referring to the Menel era .
    Ever is classic !

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Subterranea without a doubt.
    Subterranea is not prog? Then what is prog? Is it the music or the band that defines prog?

OK flame me, I used the "what is prog?" line. It feels good to finally get that out in PE3.

There are various ones I like incl. the already mentioned Subterranea. But for me hands down the no. 1 is Clutching At Straws. Fish with his best words and Marillion's first real peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingalesandbombers View Post
    Hogarth's screaming vocals on Brave did me in.
    This is why it's so damn good.

Brave followed closely by Misplaced Childhood.

Really like IQ, but for some reason, Subterranea never clicked.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingalesandbombers View Post
    "Pink World" by Planet P. Hogarth's screaming vocals on Brave did me in.
    Damn , always meant to get that album . Fanx 4 the reminder !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A Childhood... A Childhood... A Misplaced Childhoooooooooooooooood!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    There are various ones I like incl. the already mentioned Subterranea. But for me hands down the no. 1 is Clutching At Straws. Fish with his best words and Marillion's first real peak.
    I know it's highly rated by Fish era fans but apart from Sugar Mice & Incomunicado there's nothing else I like !

Even "neo-prog" can actually develop into something altogether rather interesting, you know.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'd also vote for Misplaced Childhood. That album saw me through a somewhat dark period in my life in the mid-80s.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd also vote for Misplaced Childhood. That album saw me through a somewhat dark period in my life in the mid-80s.
    For me it was mostly "clutching at straws." That one helped me through some dark times around 1992. I didn't first hear it until 91 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wow. No mention of "misplaced childhood" or "clutching at straws?"
    Quite a few, actually.

And I never considered Clutching at Straws to be a concept album - more an album centered on a theme, kinda like Power Windows.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Subterranea is not prog? Then what is prog? Is it the music or the band that defines prog?

OK flame me, I used the "what is prog?" line. It feels good to finally get that out in PE3.
    Emm... were you replying to my post actually? I never said Subterranea wasn't prog In fact, I admitted that it's my favorite neo-prog concept album!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Considering that Mislplaced Childhood is by far my favorite album of all time, in any genre, then I will have to go with that.

I'd vote for Misplaced Childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Quite a few, actually.

And I never considered Clutching at Straws to be a concept album - more an album centered on a theme, kinda like Power Windows.
    What is the theme of power windows? You kind of lost me there. How is a theme album different than a concept album? Lol.

What is the theme of power windows? You kind of lost me there. How is a theme album different than a concept album? Lol.
    Power, in its different forms.

A theme album has songs that are all about a similar subject, a la Power Windows or Clutching at Straws.

A "rock opera" has one continuous storyline, a la Tommy or Misplaced Childhood.

Both are referred to as concept albums, which gets really confusing.

I've heard the phrase "concept album" applied to records made by pop singers back in the 50's, like Mel Tormé or Mr. Frank Sinatra. If they did an entire album of ballads, or an entire album of songs about cities or whatever, that was considered a "concept album".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've heard the phrase "concept album" applied to records made by pop singers back in the 50's, like Mel Tormé or Mr. Frank Sinatra. If they did an entire album of ballads, or an entire album of songs about cities or whatever, that was considered a "concept album".
    Right - for example, Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Hands down IQ's Subteranea .
    Been playing it today . Great album & just shows some bands can still return with a classic after a lull in quality !
    My first thought before opening this thread!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)