Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Who's Tommy Gets Deluxe Treatment

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The '96 versions were actual remixes? I didn't know that... done by who (no pun untended)?
    The remixes where done by Pete's former brother-in-law.

I'll pass... though if my library system does buy it, I'll borrow it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

But $165 at amazon.com? Makes The Road to Red sound like a bargain, now doesn't it?

I'd buy it if it were in the $75-85 range...but $165? Freakin' highway robbery, and both Pete Townsend and the label should be ashamed.

Outrageous!

The 2cd new improved super dooper Tommy re-issue will be just fine for me,thank you.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    But $165 at amazon.com? Makes The Road to Red sound like a bargain, now doesn't it?
    To be honest I think The Road to Red is a bargain, considering what it contains (at least, that's what I have been telling Madame Oreb!).

I know this is over-priced, but Tommy is a hugely significant record in my life and thankfully our cat Audrey - spoilt and psychotic but cute as a button - agreed to get it for me for Father's Day

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I know this is over-priced, but Tommy is a hugely significant record in my life and thankfully our cat Audrey - spoilt and psychotic but cute as a button - agreed to get it for me for Father's Day
    I've preordered the two-disc version which includes the Ottawa 1969 show that was my very first rock show - and I went with RottersClub and also the single Blu-Ray, so I get the new stereo and high res surround versions, the Ottawa show and not the demos, which it can definitely live without....and the cost is £32.39, a far cry from the £83 of the super deluxe edition.....

Banned
    I got the 2 CD version of the new Tommy reissue today at FYE, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    thankfully our cat Audrey - spoilt and psychotic but cute as a button - agreed to get it for me for Father's Day
    How fortunate that things worked out that way!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did anyone get the Deluxe edition with the 5:1 mix?

I notice there is also a single Blu-Ray edition that is 5:1 surround sound! Might pick this up as the SACD suround that was released in 2002 got good reviews. Wonder if it's the same mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Did anyone get the Deluxe edition with the 5:1 mix?

I notice there is also a single Blu-Ray edition that is 5:1 surround sound! Might pick this up as the SACD suround that was released in 2002 got good reviews. Wonder if it's the same mix?
    It is

Banned
    I listened to this on headphones last night, but I did not notice any different in the mix from the '96 version. I thought that this recent reissue was going to use the original mix?

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It is
    Just to clarify - Disc 3 from the new Deluxe edition is the same mix as the new standalone Blu-ray disc (which is even labeled Disc 3!). This 5.1 mix is quite different from the 2002 SACD 5.1 mix.

I never owned the 96 deluxe version. I do have this new version, and it is nice to hear the drums have finally got some balls to the sound. I always thought the album sounded very lifeless and wondered how they could get the drums sounding so good on the earlier releases in the catalog, yet Tommy had such a thin sound. Even the "I'm The Face" single had better sounding drums compared to the original pressings of Tommy! So glad to hear Moon the way he should be heard, and the Live show is awesome too. I still think the best version of Tommy is the Live at Leeds expanded set. Damn they were on fire that night, and the Hull show is pretty killer too!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I never owned the 96 deluxe version.
    The deluxe version was released in 2003, not 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The deluxe version was released in 2003, not 1996.
    I'm sorry, I missed that version too. I said deluxe by mistake and was talking about the 96 re-master. So hard to keep up with all these damn re-releases.