Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Who's Tommy Gets Deluxe Treatment

Banned

The Who's Tommy Gets Deluxe Treatment

Today, I read on the Classic Rock website that The Who's Tommy will be getting the deluxe treatment on November 11th. It will also come in a super deluxe and one CD version. Disc one of the super deluxe version will be the original album remastered in HD, disc two will be demos and outtakes featuring 20 previously unreleased tracks, disc three will be a 5.1 mix in Hi Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray, and disc four is a live bootleg album with 21 previously-unreleased tracks from various shows in 1969. It will also come with a Hardback 80 page full-color book featuring rare period photos and memorabilia. It will also contain an essay by legendary Who aficionado Richard Barnes, a rare facsimile Tommy poster, and a hardback deluxe slipcase. Who's excited about this? I am, especially if the original mix will be remastered. Anyone else?

We're not gonna take it!

(but it's possible we're gonna buy it)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    We're not gonna take it!

(but it's possible we're gonna buy it)
    LOL!!

'Tommy' gets the Deluxe treatment!

Will include Demos previously thought lost & 5:1 mixes! I already have an SACD surround & a previously expanded edition so unsure if I really need this ?

Home > News > The Who’s Tommy gets deluxe treatment
    The Who’s Tommy gets deluxe treatment
    Comments 3 Martin Kielty at 10:14am September 4 2013
    The Who will release deluxe and super-deluxe versions of their classic 1969 album Tommy in November.

Previously unheard demos from guitarist Pete Townshend’s private collection and a set of live recordings from the year it was released will be included in the super-deluxe edition.

That’s big news because even The Who – who wound up a European tour at London’s Wembley Arena in July – thought the tapes didn’t exist. Townshend refers to them in his 2012 autobiography as having been destroyed, but sound man Bob Pridden had kept them.

Tommy, telling the story of a “deaf dumb and blind kid” who played pinball, was the first album to be officially known as a rock opera. It was made into a successful movie six years after its release. It’s noted in the Grammy Hall Of Fame for its “historical, artistic and significant value.”

The record goes on sale on November 11. Other formats include standard CD, 2CD deluxe digipak, double-vinyl, HF Pure Audio Blu-ray and digital.

Limited-edition super-deluxe edition contents
    Disc 1: original album, remastered in HD
    Disc 2: Demos and out-takes featuring 20 previously unreleased tracks
    Disc 3: 5.1 mix in Hi Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray
    Disc 4: Live bootleg album with 21 previously-unreleased tracks from various shows in 1969
    Hardback 80-page full-colour book featuring rare period photos and memorabilia
    Essay by legendary Who aficionado Richard Barnes
    Rare facsimile Tommy poster
    Hardback deluxe slip-case

Banned
    Hey, Rufus!! You might wanna look in the OT section. The Who ain't prog rock.

But Tommy is.

Banned
    Wow, looking forward to this one. Thanks for posting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by benson View Post
    Wow, looking forward to this one. Thanks for posting.
    You're welcome. I started the same thread in the OT section two hours before this one.

This looks great! Time to finally upgrade my ancient CD!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A stellar release for Who fans. I can finally hear better versions of the unused tracks "Tommy Can't Wipe His Ass Anymore" and "Skeeball Magician".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    But Tommy is.
    Correct & so is Quadraphenia !!!

Disc 4: Live bootleg album with 21 previously-unreleased tracks from various shows in 1969
    Having seen them 4 times that year I'll be interested in seeing what this is.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Today, I read on the Classic Rock website that The Who's Tommy will be getting the deluxe treatment on November 11th.

Again? But Moe, it ain't Spring yet!

Is the entire album in 5.1 this time?

Very cool beans!

I'll reserve wetting myself for Who's Next and Quadraphenia

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Quadrophenia already happened...http://www.amazon.com/Quadrophenia--...deluxe+edition

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Oh dang, that's right.

I have three different expanded editions of Who 's Next . Can't be anything else left in the can ¿

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > Today, I read on the Classic Rock website that The Who's Tommy will be getting the deluxe treatment on November 11th.

I already have this one . It ain't 5:1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I have three different expanded editions of Who 's Next . Can't be anything else left in the can ¿
    I'd be interested in a remix. I don't know I'd prefer it but I'd like to hear it. Although having been done on eight tracks and everything already kind of subbed and mixed to tape it may just be what it is. The big thing for me would be to work with the drums and you just... can't

Banned
    I'd be interested in a remix. I don't know I'd prefer it but I'd like to hear it. Although having been done on eight tracks and everything already kind of subbed and mixed to tape it may just be what it is. The big thing for me would be to work with the drums and you just... can't
    Wasn't The Who's entire back catalog(except My Generation) remixed and remastered in '96?

They need a Super Ultra Mega Deluxe box set version also including the Lou Reizner/London Symphony Orchestra version and the soundtrack to the Ken Russell film. I imagine that will never happen, thanks to rights issues.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Darjantan”-Kornet/Frittfall

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I believe that deluxe version used the '96 remix as a mastering source. From what I've read, this upcoming reissue will use the original mixes.

The '96 versions were actual remixes? I didn't know that... done by who (no pun untended)?