Thread: Keneally "Sooth"

chalkpie

Keneally "Sooth"

1st track on "Boil That Dust Speck."

That tune mystified me for years - I'm not quite sure I got it - and that was for a while. But now it is the shiniest gem under the the Keneally Sea, if not for the fact that it it so fucking twisted and bizarre, yet sublimely gorgeous all simultaneously. The outerspace vocal harmonies, along with the harmonic progression and some tabla shakin' your ass, too. It's also packed with humor, maybe even humour. Lovely backing guitars and especially keyboards, they even sound Yes-tacle prog nerd analogy for a while then morph into more of some Robert Wyatt Dondestan-era canvas..... and then comes Kiev's finest, Mr. Vladamir Horowitz on meth and gin. The beginning really made me think of Andy Partridge too, maybe intended or not, but the roller coaster takes the listener out of the amusement park fast. Ha, that sounds pretentious, but I like it anyway, dammit! Fucking brilliant tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I raise some goode' cheer to this most catchiest of songs that would be the perfect choice to use at a wedding when the cheesy DJ announces the wedding party and one-by-one they all come out dancing like total assholes. Imagine the wedding party coming out to this tune, but they ALL have old school Sleepytime Gorillla Museum donkey masks on. You would definitely want that on Shoulder cam color VHS tape at the absolute minimum. I think old Grandma Witherspoone at table 17 would shit 93 year-old cream corn into her "Grandma Diapers" at the minimum.. That just might win $10,000.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-05-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Been hitting the Tequila again, Frank? But I'm in agreement. A very interesting piece of music to kick off a great album. Isn't Sooth one of those Xenochrony compositions?

Jefferson James
    Haha, good stuff Chalkpie! I've always loved this song; once at a party I put on "Boil That Dust Speck" just to see the reaction and hopefully turn some people on to Keneally. I was standing out on the patio talking to a musician friend of mine; about two-thirds of the way through "Sooth" the music takes that little evil turn where Mike sounds a bit menacing and the track gets a bit more assertive, you know the place? When that moment came my friend literally ducked for cover, as if a bat had flown into her beehive hair-do and started a colony. I cracked up and said, "What's up, you ok?" and she said, "What the fuck are you playing? This is some weird shit!"

Mission accomplished.

The making of DVD has some very cool footage of this tune...and yeah it was a freaky sync up between two different pieces. Awesome start to the album!

Way back in the day I was desperately searching for this CD, and wrote to Mike who was kind enough to write back and tell me to hang in there as copies did occasionally show up. He also said part of the fun of tracking down rare stuff is that joyous moment when you eventually succeed. My Dust Speck eventually came from a guy in France second hand - equal levels of excitement as to when I found a second hand vinyl copy of the Polite Force by Egg

Matt.

a most brilliant opening salvo, definitely. beautiful and evocative as always and leading into one of the most insanely fabulous albums ever.

yep. another Keneally Keeper.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

chalkpie
    Hey people even know it, and they are all famous themselves! This is fabulatous!!

- Chalkpie said:

- "Cream corn."

"You're a sick fuck, Fink."

-- Detective Mastrionotti, "Barton Fink"

Glad you like the tune Frank! It's certainly the most demented song I ever opened an album with.

Yeah, Reid and Matt, the xenochronistic aspects of the song were freaky and wond'rous. Stupidly serendipitous that the two component recordings were the precise same length and lined up the way they did.

Kerry, I'm touched that you were able to frighten partygoers with it; my work on this planet is not in vain.

Matt, re: the joy of finding a long sought-after album - I'm sure I used this example the first time we discussed this subject, but I remember the moment of finally seeing Lumpy Gravy in a Sears record department or somewhere equivalently unlikely, after three years of looking in record shops for it to no avail. My heart could barely stand the adrenaline rush at that moment, the unexpected sudden arrival of absolute joy and disbelief and immediate exultation. It was fanfuckingtastic.

Kimara, and all of y'all, thank you for enjoying the song, it is a very particular kind of weird and it's nice to know I'm not alone there.