Thread: FEATURED CD: Cosmos Factory - An Old Castle of Transylvania

FEATURED CD: Cosmos Factory - An Old Castle of Transylvania

Today's feature suggestion comes from Just Eric. This somewhat obscure Japanese band put out a handful of pretty solid releases in the early/mid 70s.

Review from ProgArchives (Damoxt7942):
    We can't help discussing An Old Castle Of Transylvania suite at first when we talk about the debut album by COSMOS FACTORY. There are not any brilliant hope or happiness to live at all, but dark, painful and depressive ground and sky. Tsutomu Izumi was the songwriter of this suite - for the first listening, I wondered what he was aiming at. Again and again I've listened to it, and now I can realize he should draw the picture of his death, as a dark castle in the deep forest - which could not get any bright glimmer.

The first part Forest Of The Death is just right for the depressive story. Loud, heavy and repetitive sounds with keyboards, guitars and drums - slightly heavy symphonic style rather than psychedelic one - can exactly sound as if zombies shouting loudly get up and come here one after another! Particularly Tsutomu's keyboard sounds can remind us the darkest Sodom. Terrible...no, terrific ones! The Cursed has so melancholic voices and hearts. By the zombies, people should be cursed in the bloody river under the dead forest. Even if morning comes in the castle, and even if devils fall asleep, Darkness Of The World should be on...real morning will NEVER come into An Old Castle Of Transylvania, the last part of the suite. What a sadness, what a depression! We might not be saved anymore, might we?

Apologize for the discussion in reverse order... The first 5 short pieces are also great. With full of keyboard or mellotron sounds, almost all of Japanese rock bands in those days cannot play. Tsutomu's sensation can be shot absolutely with his another organ. Namely, the keyboard is his heart or his brain. Shinwa (Maybe) is a only song composed not by Tsutomu and (at least) I can feel this is also a only song with a hopeful development of life (though the lyric is about a lonely man - myself).

How can I explain about this great album? Heavily symphonic psychedelia? How do you feel? Please listen to it and let me know. :-)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I like it well enough, but I prefer Black Hole.

Listeners fond of this band would probably enjoy Datetenryu, Ring and Far East Family Band as well. Personally I'm more into the freakier side of Jap 70s progressive; Love-Live-Life and Kimio Mizutani, Samurai, Flied Egg, Speed Glue & Shinki, Food Brain, Flower Travellin' Band etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yep very nice example of Japanese symphonic rock..recommended!

Love this album to bits.

"Maybe" still sends chills ... that guitar solo!

The next two are good but this was their best by far, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Yes on a boat.

I love this album. I haven't played it in ages though. It's great the way the album walks a line between prog and psychedelia. I haven't explored the rest of the Cosmos Factory back catalog yet but it sounds like I should try "Black Hole" at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post

I love this album. I haven't played it in ages though. It's great the way the album walks a line between prog and psychedelia. I haven't explored the rest of the Cosmos Factory back catalog yet but it sounds like I should try "Black Hole" at least.
    I like all of their albums. A very solid four album run, IMO.

But truthfully, I don't think any of their other albums really hold a candle to this one.

Yay!!!

I've always had a fondness for Rock music from Japan, including Teru's Symphonia and Shingetsu for Symphonic Prog, KBB and Kenso, anything Tatsuya Yoshida touches, Dir En Grey, and the bombastic Ars Nova and Gerard and more. Japan is a loaded with rock talent and rarely recognized or appreciated.

Thanks Cozy!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Never heard of it. This is like music I dream of. Acid soaked guitar, great singing and wave upon wave of trons? I'M SOLD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Yay!!!

I've always had a fondness for Rock music from Japan, including Teru's Symphonia.
    They're ok. The album that has that baby cooing is pretty cheesy. Cooing babies and extreme vocals; you like it all!

The featured album is my favorite by Cosmos Factory, out of the ones that I have.

When I saw the band name, somehow my mind defaulted to the CCR album.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Never heard of it. This is like music I dream of. Acid soaked guitar, great singing and wave upon wave of trons? I'M SOLD!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Listeners fond of this band would probably enjoy Datetenryu, Ring and Far East Family Band as well. Personally I'm more into the freakier side of Jap 70s progressive; Love-Live-Life and Kimio Mizutani, Samurai, Flied Egg, Speed Glue & Shinki, Food Brain, Flower Travellin' Band etc.
    I don’t. Black Hole is perhaps a more polished and ambitious album, but it isn’t half as memorable as An Old Castle of Transylvania. A Journey with is the funniest of the three I’ve heard, but it's all over the map and beyond the edges as well. An Old Castle has a few excellent melodies, nice arrangements and a good balance between two extremes of ideas (what one might label as “psych” and “prog”). And of course those vocal harmonies on “Maybe”! Outside Shingetsu’s first, this is probably my favourite Japanese progressive release from the 1970s.

But I’m not really into the “freakier” side of Japanese progressive rock, I’m afraid. If I would have to choose between freaks and cheese, it would be cheese for me, please.

Joe F. said:
    Cooing babies and extreme vocals; you like it all!
    I do! Teru's Symphonia always reminded me of cartoon music, playful.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Their best album to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Love Black Hole, but this is pretty damn good. Add to the list above: Amalgamation and Hiro Yanagida-Milk Time

I like it fine, sort of like FEFB with a touch of a light orchestral feel. Definitely both bands are heavily Floydian. Haven’t heard any of the others (apparently Metal Reflection is indeed a detour into heavy metal territory).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Carnival”-Zingale/Peace

My favorite part is the outro of Fantastic Mirror, but it's way too short.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

I'm late to the party, but I'd like to say that I enjoy their first three albums. However, my favorite is the 2nd one, Journey With The Cosmos Factory, because parts of it are more twisted than anything on the other two.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Love this gem my favorite of the four they did. They did name this after CCR Cosmo's Factory but the translation came out Cosmos.

Searching for the next featured album, I found this one was already featured seven years ago (apparently I missed out on it)

Does anyone have the Black Hole correct track listing and timing? Because, the Lion records CD-menu lies with the digipak artwork. Both RYM and Discogs have the same running order, which is the way it's written on the album cover.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.