Thread: Frost* newsflash - Jem Godfrey changes his mind again

Frost* newsflash - Jem Godfrey changes his mind again

Posted by Jem today at the Frost website:

"I’ve canned the COA album as in all honesty it was a futile attempt to wriggle out of my 3 album deal with InsideOut so I could actually own the album I really wanted to make. With the benefit of a holiday in France and some time to think, I realised I was cutting my nose off to spite my face which benefitted nobody, especially my nose and, more importantly, yon Frosties whom I love and respect above all else. There was a danger of insulting everybody’s intelligence over this so this album will indeed be “Six Minutes In September” after all. We got there in the end eh? ... So with that in mind and again contrary to the original plan, the album will now not be released in 2 bits, 6 months apart. Since announcing that idea, I was quickly informed that The Tangent and Big Big Train were already doing something similar therefore we’re going to be really really daring and release the whole thing as a actual, proper double album all at the same time."

As a typically Jem-ish postscript, he also adds "Fresh Earl Grey tea, brewed from a just opened foil pack, is one of the most refreshing drinks in the world."

Anyone who follows Frost devotedly won't be surprised that Jem has scrapped his idea to do a separate album this year, but will instead now make 'Six Minutes in September' as a fully-blown double album. Any bets on for the next unexpected twist with Jem's plans for Frost? :-)

The guy's a legend, as far as I'm concerned, and he can do whatever he wants. After all, Frost* is a labour of love on his part, and he doesn't owe me anything.

I gave worrying what Jem might do next. As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he likes, when he likes, and I'll buy it whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    I gave worrying what Jem might do next. As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he likes, when he likes, and I'll buy it whatever.
    Pretty much.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jem has scrapped his idea to do a separate album this year, but will instead now make 'Six Minutes in September' as a fully-blown double album of techno-rap.

As long as I get some new FROST*, I will be happy.

legend

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    legend
    Really? I thought the second album received pretty mixed reviews. Was there ever a third?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Really? I thought the second album received pretty mixed reviews. Was there ever a third?
    Ask Dodie.

I will be looking forward to a new Frost album. Jem also mentioned on his website that there is a DVD in the making. Don't recall the details as to when. Hopefully soon?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was there ever an album that didn't get mixed views around here? Apart from 'Close to the Edge', perhaps. :-)
    I mean, the current Moon Safari 'Lover's End' thread has people talking about The Carpenters and Styx, when what I hear is early Yes (when they still had a sense of playfulness and energy), Brian Wilson, It Bites, and perhaps a dash of Spock's Beard/Flower Kings. So finding a consensus just isn't going to happen. Not when some folks are still pointlessly moaning that Pink Floyd isn't "real prog" (whatever that nonsense means).

So, back to Frost: the second album 'Experiments in Mass Appeal' didn't have longer songs with extended instrumental workouts, of much of the modern equivalent of the Genesis keyboard vibe that was all over their debut 'Milliontown'. But after a few listens I really liked 'Experiments' - it was packed with concentrated and intricate arrangements, and the production/engineering was fantastic (a big improvement over 'Milliontown', actually). It was much more contemporary, original, concise and song-driven than the vast majority of new Prog - so consequently some people didn't like it.

There has not yet been a third studio album, and Jem Godfrey keeps changing his mind about what it will be and when it will be done. I think at least two proposed album projects have been aborted now, but this 'Six Minutes in September' thing seems to have legs, and a couple of highly promising demos were streamed on the band's website a few months ago ("Heartstrings" and "Fathers").

But there was the totally OTT epic track "The Dividing Line", which was a bonus on the wonderful live album 'The Philadelphia Experiment' (live at Rosfest). There are also a few studio tracks that have been issued on tour CDs or online from time to time, such as the Queen-esque miniature "The Forget You Song", an in-your-face cover of ELO's "Here is the news" and a gentle piano-and-vocal cover of Buddy Holly's "Raining in my heart". A bonkers and utterly disrespectful cover of "Fanfare for the Common Man" was shelved when the Copland estate blocked it; it was intended as a tribute to ELP, sounded nothing like it, but had a sort of tasteless but compelling extrovert punchiness that showed a weird kindred spirit to ELP.

So though not exactly prolific, there has been more than just the two studio albums.

I think the DVD should be out later this year (allegedly!); it's live performances taped in Rockfield Studios, and I think Magenta's Rob Reed has something to do with it behind the scenes.

As far as I know, no album was planned this year anyway. So if they decide to do a double album, then it is great. It would be good if they released it at the end of the year (unlikely) or next year.
    As for Experiments... album, I think that it was inferior to Milliontown in most ways. There were a couple respectable songs but overall I think that the instrumental parts lacked compared to the first one.
    On the other hand, The Dividing Line is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    A bonkers and utterly disrespectful cover of "Fanfare for the Common Man" was shelved when the Copland estate blocked it; it was intended as a tribute to ELP, sounded nothing like it, but had a sort of tasteless but compelling extrovert punchiness that showed a weird kindred spirit to ELP.
    Fantastic description!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not quite sure what the issue is here. As far as Im concerned band deliver album as they "see it" album gets released.? Maybe Im missing something.

It's what legends are made of.