Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD mastering, Trent Reznor has standards.

I am quite disappointed in this. Not because I am a Reznor or NIN fan, but because I had hopes that there might be a real chance for alternate (better sounding) versions of new recordings released.

But as it turns out, this is a sham. The actual difference turns out to be minimal.

This is from audacity. Both sets of FLAC are 24-bit, 48kHz. Loaded "Came Back Haunted" from each in -

This is the 'loud' version -

audiophile.jpg

This is the 'audiofail' version -

loud.jpg

What a joke.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Some of it could be the type of music, Simon. I haven't listened to the track, don't care to -- but you're not going to get any dynamic range out of modern rock and roll. Try listening to something that relies on musicianship rather than loudness.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Some of it could be the type of music, Simon. I haven't listened to the track, don't care to -- but you're not going to get any dynamic range out of modern rock and roll.
    -and certainly not out of dance music. Electronica is all about things hitting at programmed consistent levels. It's meant to be even and not dynamic, except in broad strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'll buy the uncompressed vinyl version but only if it's at 256KBPS.

I'm listening to the Youtube 1080p for transcriptionist earphones version
    Last edited by davis; 09-11-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    -and certainly not out of dance music. Electronica is all about things hitting at programmed consistent levels. It's meant to be even and not dynamic, except in broad strokes.
    Sorry, but anyone who has heard the work coming from the Punkt camp, whether it's been Nils Petter Molvær, Jan Bang or Bugge Wesseltoft, would know that your whitewashing all electronica with the same broad strokes is, I'm sorry to say, incorrect.

Sure, the dance music in clubs, absolutely; but electronica is far, far broader than that.
    Best!
    John

Hmmm.......sounds like a marketing-ploy to me

"Lets try to sell two versions to get better sales and advertise it with all kinds of technical jargon that may interest the audiophile market but that the average consumer probably wont recognize a difference with anyway"

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Hmmm.......sounds like a marketing-ploy to me

"Lets try to sell two versions to get better sales and advertise it with all kinds of technical jargon that may interest the audiophile market but that the average consumer probably wont recognize a difference with anyway"
    Bingo.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Sorry, but anyone who has heard the work coming from the Punkt camp, whether it's been Nils Petter Molvær, Jan Bang or Bugge Wesseltoft, would know that your whitewashing all electronica with the same broad strokes is, I'm sorry to say, incorrect.

Sure, the dance music in clubs, absolutely; but electronica is far, far broader than that.
    Best!
    John
    I'm not saying the music as a whole maintains consistent levels. I'm not even saying that there aren't dynamics programmed into beats. But by and large I'd say it's pretty precise and not about wide range overall apart from breaks... sure, there's always exceptions. I was really thinking about mainstream dance music, not electronica as a whole...