Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else miss Porcupine Tree?

Does anyone else miss Porcupine Tree?

I'm a huge SW fan, and I absolutely love his new GfD and Raven..saw him tour both records in Boston, but recently I'm finding myself really missing Porcupine Tree. Does anyone else feel this way?

No. SW's solo albums, for me, have been stronger than any PT album since "The Sky Moved Sideways".

Not necessarily. In Absentia is one of my all-time favorite albums, but beyond that PT was not really in my comfort zone.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Yes and No. I love Wilson's solo material, but I equally love PT. I wish that they could co-exist.

I do miss Porcupine Tree (if only to hear some of the songs live), as they are one of my favorite groups. However, Raven was the solo album closest to the PT vibe. Think of it as a jazzier PT with cooler solos.

not sure.. i didn't like the Incident at all (may have been a sign of them 'losing it') but i did like most of their stuff before that (starting with IA)
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I do miss Porcupine Tree (if only to hear some of the songs live), as they are one of my favorite groups. However, Raven was the solo album closest to the PT vibe. Think of it as a jazzier PT with cooler solos.
    I agree with this. Also, I do miss Porcupine Tree. I got on board when I bought 'The Sky Moves Sideways' (which I consider a masterpiece) in the late 90's and have bought every album since and like them all. I like that they are all different from each other and that's part of their appeal to me.

Not especially, but I'd like to hear more soundscapes. I like a lot of the stuff since, but that was my favorite PT period.

I really, really miss Barbieri (my favorite synth player) and Harrison.

Why I have quite a few PT albums on the shelf to listen to...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

No, I don't miss them - for me, Steven Wilson's last two albums have both been much more interesting and enjoyable than 'The Incident'. I'm sure he'll revive Porcupine Tree again at some point, when he wants to. But for now I'd rather he was following his muse in the direction it seems to have been taking him.

I still have faith that they will eventually do something, so that's all that matters. Until then, Mr. Wilson has given us some great stuff and that will tide me over.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The 2000s, from "In Absentia" to "The Incident" is my fave period (with "Deadwing" as my personal favorite)...this is the period I miss.....

there's other bands I miss more.

i thought about this just a moment ago. PT were a very “set” entity – at least, of late – and their absence may leave a hole that is yet to be filled. neither BLACKFiELD, nor SW’s solo stuff or anything else, even vaguely PT-related, has yet achieved this. they had a very peculiar sound that is hard to match. i have to agree with wisdomview – i too “miss” barbieri and harrison, although it’s not as if they have dropped from the face of the earth. but wilson / harrison / edwin / barbieri create a very special kind of magic that i would like to revisit at some point. that said, bands that idiosyncratic can end up being stuck in a rut and need to disperse for a while. it’s understandable.

I'm missing PT but I think Steven Wilson is ready to fly alone. Prog artists do not make a lot of money and Wilson will make more by himself.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I'm missing PT but I think Steven Wilson is ready to fly alone. Prog artists do not make a lot of money and Wilson will make more by himself.
    This sounds vaguely familiar.Yes of course a certain Ian Anderson comes to mind.

Be careful what you wish for or you might very well get a "Best of Porcupine Tree" double CD, quadruple vinyl reissue with exclusive photos, commentary on the making of, and band interviews, specially priced and numbered for those fans who are willing to pony up an exhorbitant amount of moola. Of course the first 50 who are willing to pay double will receive a signed copy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Absolutely.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but Wilson's solo efforts don't have the same bite or energy as the PT stuff. Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning have some interesting ideas that seem to sit in a thick pudding of noodling, and I find sitting through either of them a bit of a chore. Raven is a bit better, but it's not something I ever feel I "need" to listen to.

I consider The Incident to be one of PT's lesser efforts, but I've still listened to it way more times than any of the solo albums.

No
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I miss the early PT when it was just SW.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The SW solo stuff is much more interesting than the PT stuff, IMO. I saw PT on the In Absentia tour and found it boring - I was just waiting through it for Opeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Not necessarily. In Absentia is one of my all-time favorite albums, but beyond that PT was not really in my comfort zone.
    I pretty much echo this sentiment. In Absentia is really great and one of the ten best albums of the past ten years or so for sure. I haven't even heard the latest PT. I eventually bought Deadwing and FOABP. They both left me a bit underwhelmed. Not bad but they just lost the magic. I can't blame SW for wanting to try new things and evolve the PT sound but the music sounds a bit forced to me and not genuine. It's almost as if PT should have been renamed Porcupine Opeth.

Love PT, saw them several times and enjoy all albums from The Sky... onward, but I enjoy SW solo every bit as much, so not really, no.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I do like Colin Edwin's approach to bass playing. Tastefully understated, if you will. So that I guess I miss.

I'm not sure if the question is even applicable by my way of thinking, though. SW is continuing to evolve and I guess he's outgrown the PT vehicle; hearing his "solo" work sort of IS like hearing new PT.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin