Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL Progday 2013 thread

The OFFICIAL Progday 2013 thread

I guess I am the first person to make it back in a conscious state, because here I am and there's no other threads.

in brief:

I had a blast.

Weather was decent to pretty good.

Food vendor was the Greek caterer and they were quite good.

Sound was great.

Bands were (for my taste) almost all uniformly very good to superb.

Attendance was in the neighborhood of 200 paying customers, I would guess for both days.

What say you?

p.s.

I did not attend either of the "506" concerts, as I had had enough music. But if anyone wants to post their thoughts here of those shows, please do!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 09-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

ProgDay Review

So what did people think?

I was my first ProgDay and I enjoyed it immensely, very well organized, friendly and relaxed with a distinctly different vibe given the outdoor setup. Met lot's of old friends and made a few new ones, it was great to see everyone. Other than the storm blowing in to cut short Simak Dialog's set (an move the pool party indoors) the weather was reasonably well behaved if a little too hot for me (I spent most of the weekend under Ian & Billy's tent - thanks guys!)

So other than a fun social weekend how were the bands?

Mavara - C, Iranian mainstream progressive rock - well played with plenty of heart but not really my kind of thing
    Miriodor - A, One of the main reasons I went, apparently the first time they've performed since I saw them in Washington in 2010. Tight, complex, avant rock. Played a number of tracks from Avanti & their new release Cobra Fakir. Excellent
    Corima - A+, Young Zeuhl band from California leaning heavily on Magma & Koenjihyakkei, I was already a big fan from their recent album so knew what to expect, they didn't disappoint. They tore in the material with loads of energy. The drummer in particular was a whirling dervish behind the kit. Went down very with the crowd. Loads of fun.
    Oblivion Sun - B+, High quality performance from quality band, few minor hiccups in the performance and a bit of a dodgy mike but great stage presence and crowd banter.

Out Of The Beardspace - A-, Hadn't heard a note of this band before they play, young group of players specializing in a spacey psyche Floyd, krautrock, Ozrics influenced sound. Multi-talented with lots of instrument swapping going on. The music had a lot of spaceout less structured pieces before moving into more structured song forms. Loads of fun and high energy.
    Thank You Scientist - A+, Jazz Pop Rock Whatever band, very tight performance, featuring guitar, bass, drums, violin, sax & trumpet. Very charismatic front man with loads of energy, lots of entertaining interesting music, finished with a great cover of I Am The Walrus, one of the major hits of the festival.
    Herd Of Instincts - A, Instrumental heavy prog with a distinct Crimsony sound as a result of the signature Warr guitar. Very good atmospheric heavy music including covers of John McLaughlin's Devotion & Radiohead's National Anthem, could use a bit more stage craft as tracks ended a bit abruptly and there wasn't much banter with the crowd.
    Simak Dialog - B+, Jazz Fusion from Indonesia featuring traditional Indonesian instruments, to be honest I was a bit disappointed with Simak as I had high expectations with the album I have. The fusion element of the band didn't really seem to go anywhere with a fair amount of noodling with interesting drumming going on.

Overall an excellent weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll be back, congrats to the organizers for a wonderful time but if I have one request can we hear the line-up a bit earlier as it would ensure people can plan further ahead,
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 09-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    <snip>but if I have one request can we hear the line-up a bit earlier as it would ensure people can plan further ahead,
    Spoken like the newbie at ProgDay.

You are completely right, of course, but it will never happen!

Welcome to Progday!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Spoken like the newbie at ProgDay.

You are completely right, of course, but it will never happen!

Welcome to Progday!

Hey, never say never! It could happen...but regardless I'm so glad it all went well despite mother nature's intervention of Simak's set and pool party. Making plans to attend next year already.

Looking forward to some more posts and reviews about this year.
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Deb

It went very well. EVERYONE had a great time, as far as I could see/tell!

I was just having some fun at PD's expense!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Ya - ProgDay does it again! That one-two punch at the beginning of Sunday was just electrifying! So much so we started getting lightning. Out of the Beardspace followed by Thankyou Scientist - both bands absolutely blew me away and from the reactions of the crowd I'd say I wasn't alone. It's ProgDay's curse and advantage; they can't afford the really big names and so select "lesser-known" acts. And then, which seems to happen every year, you catch an act you'd never have made an effort to see otherwise, and that band just floors you! Congratulations to the band committee for another stellar lineup!

What a great weekend!
    First time there. I can see why Proday has lasted.
    Next year, more shelter perhaps. No sun burns, but HOT in the sun.
    (Plug for Neutrogena sport face sunblock, no greasy hands and just a couple of reapplications )

Mavara was a nice opener. Good tunes, nice people.

I have wanted to see Miriodor for years. What a great set. They were my key band for attending, what a Killer booking.

Corima wins big for the sound check surprise! BAM!
    They really were tight and powerful. I wish them success.

Oblivion Sun is a personal favorite. It is good to see them.
    Few bands can take me back 35 years and can snap me back to the present with new stuff like they can.

Mörglbl at Local 506 was great, as usual. Try and catch them on their current tour http://morglbl.com/en/upcomingshows/ ( 9/17/13 with Thank You Scientist, WOW! )
    The metal guys from Hephystus delivered, well...metal from Greensboro, NC.
    They were suitably impressed by Mörglbl and spent that part of the set in front of the stage, taking notes I suppose.

Out of the Beardspace was a great Sunday morning 'Progchurch'. A really nice fit. Nice guys.
    Musical instrument trading was the order of the day. Everyone plays everything at some point and it sounds great, tight.
    They underestimated demand and ran out of cd's right after their set. I think they got some new fans this weekend.

Thank You Scientist kicked ass. They will be playing in my car for the foreseeable future.
    It was announced that Out of the Beardspace and Thank You Scientist loaned several pieces of equipment to Progday for the weekend. Above and beyond.

Herd of Instinct offered a complex sound. Pretty nice. Hottest part of the day, brutal.
    They covered National Anthem from Radiohead. A personal treat.

SimakDialog got to set up and start about 30min early. Survived a downpour during their sound check and then proceeded to play some really cool music.
    Then we got a little microburst that tossed some shelters around and cut things short after only an hour
    I will see them again next weekend at Orion.

Thanks again for ALL of the hard work that goes into putting this show on. Prog creates a strong community.
    Now to process all the video. The stuff I have peeked at is like being there all over again.

Mark
    Last edited by markwoll; 09-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I just woke up after collapsing hard upon walking in the door. And still gotta go back to work tonight! Anywhoo, will post my thoughts here soon when I manage to gather them.

And a special side not to Steve F: I am retiring from the weather wizard business after that last spell went so awry! At least we got the majority of the festival, and the last band, in Rather dramatic ending and departure, tho.

Banned
    Good reviews. I saw the black cloud moving to cover the sun during the SimakDialog performance and took my shelter down, and left thinking I might see these guys at the Orion. Wow that was a good call apparently, on the way back to the hotel there were massive strikes of lightning and pour downs. Glad to hear that no one was hurt back at Progday.

To be honest, the weather, especially Sunday, really wore me down. I thought things were pretty brutal at 10am. We did have some wind, but it was tough keeping my energy up.

Also, it seemed like attendance was down a bit this year. Unfortunate to see, but I'm sure the festival has had its ups and downs.

Thoughts on bands:

Marava - B+ While I'd agree that they really don't do anything new, they seemed to do it well. I do like the power behind the lead singer.
    Miriodor - B- To be honest, they never really were my thing back when I saw them at NEARFest, and my opinion hasn't really changed. My 7 year old did enjoy one of their songs, tho.
    Corima - C+ Zeuhl generally isn't my thing here, but they seemed a bit more accessible than most. Problem is, their music eventually wore me down. They are more exhausting to listen to than enjoyable.
    Oblivion Sun - B Pleasant enough, I guess, but I never was a fan of Happy The Man. Wife enjoyed this more than I did.

Out Of The Beardspace - C- I could have done without these guys. They were probably better when they didn't have their lead singer singing. Did absolutely nothing for me.
    Thank You Scientist - A+ Best band of the weekend. It certainly was the set I was most looking forward to and they delivered in spades.
    Herd Of Instinct - A- They get some demerits for stage presence, but they put on a good show. I was wondering about the whole horror soundtrack influence until they broke out the Halloween theme.
    simakDialog - B+ I wish I could have heard more, since I was too focused on packing out before the storm, but what I heard was interesting enough. I liked the traditional percussion instruments.

Pre-Show at 506: Dreadnought

We arrived earlier than usual on Friday, which allowed for seeing some of the pre-show for once, something I usually miss. Dreadnought opened the show on Sunday morning last year with a kick ass performance, and they were even better this time, playing new material off their "Have a Drink with Dreadnought" EP, as well as older tunes like "Clownhead" and "Derby Days" off their 'American Standard' release. Bassist Bob Lord and Drummer Richard Habib were their usual tight, powerhouse selves, and not for a second did Richard let a shitty kit suffering from continuous bass drum creep stand in his way! Guitarist Justin Walton was on fire, ripping astounding notes and textures from his instrument with seeming ease. I'm told he usually plays like this. Damn! The highlights of the show, for me, were a totally over the top rendition of "Stinkytown" (a kind of pervert's anthem...and I should know!) and a new tune called "Trophy Bride", a gloriously awesome fucked up song loaded with statistical density. Hey, they're a very American band, and have the hoe-downs to prove it

Being tired and having much to do the next day, we left shortly after this show, and I missed the other acts.

Mavara - A band from Iran. That in itself is worthy of some thought. They have all actually been arrested for playing music, and know first-hand the horrors of a world so many of us know only from history books, and the warnings of Frank Zappa. I talked with their manager about the dilemmas they are facing; whether to try and capitalize on an undoubtedly fascinating backstory (something the band doesn't want) or just try to make it on the strength of the music itself. I thought they were good at what they did, liked the vocalist, but otherwise they didn't stand out very much. Give em time, tho. They watched some of the other bands gape-jawed, so perhaps the 'radicalization' will kick in.

Miriodor - These guys seem to be a totally trustworthy ass kicking. I saw them at Nearfest and knew what they could do, and they delivered here as well. As good, astoundingly tight, electrifying a live experience as one can have, provided you appreciate the more avant garde, pantonal, RIO-ish side of things. World class. It was great seeing them on that stage.

Corima - They surprised me. I thought they would take forever to build up to anything, but now, slam bam outta the gate. In fact they were relentless, out to conquer the world, or Progday at the very least. I thought they couldn't possibly achieve more intensity and then they did. And then again. I will admit, by the end of their set I was worn out. Steamrollered. But yes, they were a great band. Very friendly and fun to talk with, too. And Andrea, the violinist, is incredibly cute and sexy and an awesome musician and performer. I had the pleasure of telling her that, too. Yeah, I crushed on her a bit. The drummer gets a shout out for a most furious performance. As another accomplished drummer said while watching him "He should play like that while he can!"

Oblivion Sun - I always enjoy the musical and social contributions of Stanley Whittaker and Frank Wyatt. These American Prog Gods of old have become a seminal part of our own current progressive culture, and it is a beautiful thing I never tire of marveling at. In this performance I especially enjoyed Stan's guitar playing, as he sounds particularly rejuvenated and reborn in a way only staring into an abyss and returning can give you. Hard won inspiration, but all the deeper for it! On the negative side, their set was, for me, all too often a reminder of how important the drums are: the band can be playing brilliantly, but if the drums are off, coming out of fills too soon or too late, or played too rigidly, it makes everything sound sloppy.

Out of the Beardspace - Hands down my favorite band of the fest. I don't know what others were seeing or hearing, but I saw a band of unbelievable power and spirit and skill, and all of them at such a young age! I'd never heard their music before this show, and as they didn't bring enough discs to sell, I haven't had the chance to reassess. I suggest that their music is in fact too complex to really understand and digest in just one hearing, and requires more. So it is hard for me to describe, except to say they did just about everything I love; free-sounding space excursions alternate with hyper-structure and dizzying harmonic runs on multiple instruments; "Opening-of-the-gates-of-Hell" monster riffs drop unexpectedly like lightning out of clouds of controlled chaos; suddenly there's a rousing chorus of hippie-type pop vocals riding the wave like old Scandinavian bands were so good at, then its off an a SuperSonic race into the beyond. They displayed a mastery of dynamics, keeping the music interesting and compelling by taking it up and down levels in ways that made total sense, and seemed anything but arbitrary. So many influences blended expertly, like Giant meets Allman Bros. meets Return to Forever meets Phish. More instrument changing than Ive ever seen before. It seems everyone has to take a turn at the percussion stand, some kind of requirement for being "In". The bassist was an elfin character, a hippie prog rock Peter Pan, who sang very well, I thought, and screamed great, too! He gets the most Idiosyncratic Drum Performance Award. You just had to see it Yes, I loved this band, and cant wait to see them again. I further suggest a band such as this might do very well to get in on the "Jam Band" scene, opening for some of the bigger bands of that genre, and playing some of the festivals. Their vibe and image makes them perfect for that, and their music would inject a much needed adventurousness into it all.

Thank You Scientist - Another incredible, and very original sounding band. Lots of crunch, statistical density, and horns thrown in to boot. The horns and the vocalist made this band for me. Dressed in a somewhat eccentric beach hat and sunglasses, and displaying odd moves and poses that nevertheless looked utterly natural and unselfconscious (like the music was doing it to him) the vocalist sang with clarity and authority, never needing to strain over the roar of the band, his notes soaring clear as a bell. Without him they might be yet another incredible instrumental band. With him they can achieve something extremely original and unforgettable. They encored with the best rendition of "I am the Walrus" I've yet heard, better even the Crack the Sky's, I thought. An Iconic moment.

Herd of Instinct - wasn't my cup of prog. Some liked it just fine, and there were moments of interest that reminded me of Crimson meets Mahavishnu. But, to my ears at least, an overabundance of technology, whether its playing to playing to click tracks or using all electronic drums, removes live music from the very thing that makes live music exciting and special. Its almost inevitable. Now, if a bit of roboticism is your thing, you might really enjoy the alien quality. It also didnt help them that they did their own sound, so it wasn't as loud (or nearly loud enough) as the other bands were, and so created a disconnect with members of the audience, at least the ones who kept asking me what was wrong with the sound. The band told me they were nervous, and there was no hint of wanting an encore, so after their show we moved quickly on to the last band, as the weather gods were beginning to press.

Similak Dialogue - I would have liked to talk with the more. Just seeing all those drummers up there sitting on the floor playing (to our culture) exotic percussion was a treat. It struck me as a melding of Miles Davis meets Chick Corea jazz with Indonesian folk drumming. as such, it kinda went on and on, tho that is its thing, getting mantra-like and hypnotic. Not for everyone but some people really dig it, and by then I didn't need yet another band to assault me with Uber Prog. My ass had already been kicked pretty hard, so I was actually in the mood for something meditative and dreamy. Fortunately the fest ran ahead of schedule all weekend, so we got this last band on 45 minutes early, which gave them roughly an hour of play time before the weather hurled lightning, threatened imminent deluge, and rolled some tents over some people's heads (never heard surprised screams like that at PD before!) That's the quickest Ive ever seen the field cleared, and definitely the quickest we ever packed up the sound system.

Thanks to all the sound crew for fun and rock solid dependable work, the bands for making the magic, and the fans and attendees for making it possible

Pre-Show at 506: Dreadnought

We arrived earlier than usual on Friday, which allowed for seeing some of the pre-show for once, something I usually miss. Dreadnought opened the show on Sunday morning last year with a kick ass performance, and they were even better this time, playing new material off their "Have a Drink with Dreadnought" EP, as well as older tunes like "Clownhead" and "Derby Days" off their 'American Standard' release. Bassist Bob Lord and Drummer Richard Habib were their usual tight, powerhouse selves, and not for a second did Richard let a shitty kit suffering from continuous bass drum creep stand in his way! Guitarist Justin Walton was on fire, ripping astounding notes and textures from his instrument with seeming ease. I'm told he usually plays like this. Damn! The highlights of the show, for me, were a totally over the top rendition of "Stinkytown" (a kind of pervert's anthem...and I should know!) and a new tune called "Trophy Bride", a gloriously awesome fucked up song loaded with statistical density. Hey, they're a very American band, and have the hoe-downs to prove it

Being tired and having much to do the next day, we left shortly after this show, and I missed the other acts.

Mavara - A band from Iran. That in itself is worthy of some thought. They have all actually been arrested for playing music, and know first-hand the horrors of a world so many of us know only from history books, and the warnings of Frank Zappa. I talked with their manager about the dilemmas they are facing; whether to try and capitalize on an undoubtedly fascinating backstory (something the band doesn't want) or just try to make it on the strength of the music itself. I thought they were good at what they did, liked the vocalist, but otherwise they didn't stand out very much. Give em time, tho. They watched some of the other bands gape-jawed, so perhaps the 'radicalization' will kick in.

Miriodor - These guys seem to be a totally trustworthy ass kicking. I saw them at Nearfest and knew what they could do, and they delivered here as well. As good, astoundingly tight, electrifying a live experience as one can have, provided you appreciate the more avant garde, pantonal, RIO-ish side of things. World class. It was great seeing them on that stage.

Corima - They surprised me. I thought they would take forever to build up to anything, but now, slam bam outta the gate. In fact they were relentless, out to conquer the world, or Progday at the very least. I thought they couldn't possibly achieve more intensity and then they did. And then again. I will admit, by the end of their set I was worn out. Steamrollered. But yes, they were a great band. Very friendly and fun to talk with, too. And Andrea, the violinist, is incredibly cute and sexy and an awesome musician and performer. I had the pleasure of telling her that, too. Yeah, I crushed on her a bit. The drummer gets a shout out for a most furious performance. As another accomplished drummer said while watching him "He should play like that while he can!"

Oblivion Sun - I always enjoy the musical and social contributions of Stanley Whittaker and Frank Wyatt. These American Prog Gods of old have become a seminal part of our own current progressive culture, and it is a beautiful thing I never tire of marveling at. In this performance I especially enjoyed Stan's guitar playing, as he sounds particularly rejuvenated and reborn in a way only staring into an abyss and returning can give you. Hard won inspiration, but all the deeper for it! On the negative side, their set was, for me, all too often a reminder of how important the drums are: the band can be playing brilliantly, but if the drums are off, coming out of fills too soon or too late, or played too rigidly, it makes everything sound sloppy.

Out of the Beardspace - Hands down my favorite band of the fest. I don't know what others were seeing or hearing, but I saw a band of unbelievable power and spirit and skill, and all of them at such a young age! I'd never heard their music before this show, and as they didn't bring enough discs to sell, I haven't had the chance to reassess. I suggest that their music is in fact too complex to really understand and digest in just one hearing, and requires more. So it is hard for me to describe, except to say they did just about everything I love; free-sounding space excursions alternate with hyper-structure and dizzying harmonic runs on multiple instruments; "Opening-of-the-gates-of-Hell" monster riffs drop unexpectedly like lightning out of clouds of controlled chaos; suddenly there's a rousing chorus of hippie-type pop vocals riding the wave like old Scandinavian bands were so good at, then its off an a SuperSonic race into the beyond. They displayed a mastery of dynamics, keeping the music interesting and compelling by taking it up and down levels in ways that made total sense, and seemed anything but arbitrary. So many influences blended expertly, like Giant meets Allman Bros. meets Return to Forever meets Phish. More instrument changing than Ive ever seen before. It seems everyone has to take a turn at the percussion stand, some kind of requirement for being "In". The bassist was an elfin character, a hippie prog rock Peter Pan, who sang very well, I thought, and screamed great, too! He gets the most Idiosyncratic Drum Performance Award. You just had to see it Yes, I loved this band, and cant wait to see them again. I further suggest a band such as this might do very well to get in on the "Jam Band" scene, opening for some of the bigger bands of that genre, and playing some of the festivals. Their vibe and image makes them perfect for that, and their music would inject a much needed adventurousness into it all.

Thank You Scientist - Another incredible, and very original sounding band. Lots of crunch, statistical density, and horns thrown in to boot. The horns and the vocalist made this band for me. Dressed in a somewhat eccentric beach hat and sunglasses, and displaying odd moves and poses that nevertheless looked utterly natural and unselfconscious (like the music was doing it to him) the vocalist sang with clarity and authority, never needing to strain over the roar of the band, his notes soaring clear as a bell. Without him they might be yet another incredible instrumental band. With him they can achieve something extremely original and unforgettable. They encored with the best rendition of "I am the Walrus" I've yet heard, better even the Crack the Sky's, I thought. An Iconic moment.

Herd of Instinct - wasn't my cup of prog. Some liked it just fine, and there were moments of interest that reminded me of Crimson meets Mahavishnu. But, to my ears at least, an overabundance of technology, whether its playing to playing to click tracks or using all electronic drums, removes live music from the very thing that makes live music exciting and special. Its almost inevitable. Now, if a bit of roboticism is your thing, you might really enjoy the alien quality. It also didnt help them that they did their own sound, so it wasn't as loud (or nearly loud enough) as the other bands were, and so created a disconnect with members of the audience, at least the ones who kept asking me what was wrong with the sound. The band told me they were nervous, and there was no hint of wanting an encore, so after their show we moved quickly on to the last band, as the weather gods were beginning to press.

Similak Dialogue - I would have liked to talk with the more. Just seeing all those drummers up there sitting on the floor playing (to our culture) exotic percussion was a treat. It struck me as a melding of Miles Davis meets Chick Corea jazz with Indonesian folk drumming. as such, it kinda went on and on, tho that is its thing, getting mantra-like and hypnotic. Not for everyone but some people really dig it, and by then I didn't need yet another band to assault me with Uber Prog. My ass had already been kicked pretty hard, so I was actually in the mood for something meditative and dreamy. Fortunately the fest ran ahead of schedule all weekend, so we got this last band on 45 minutes early, which gave them roughly an hour of play time before the weather hurled lightning, threatened imminent deluge, and rolled some tents over some people's heads (never heard surprised screams like that at PD before!) That's the quickest Ive ever seen the field cleared, and definitely the quickest we ever packed up the sound system.

Thanks to all the sound crew for fun and rock solid dependable work, the bands for making the magic, and the fans and attendees for making it possible

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    Dressed in a somewhat eccentric beach hat and sunglasses, and displaying odd moves and poses
    made up and acting like the scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz

It was a terrific festival this year. Many great bands, great food, great chatter with great folks. Even the weather was moderately decent compared to other years.

Went in knowing very little about most of the bands, came out blown away by Corima, Beardspace, and Thank You Scientist in particular (already knew and loved Miriodor). It was great to see some of the best/hottest (musically) bands onstage were also some of the youngest, making music that was most definitely adventurous and progressive but without necessarily all the trappings of old "prog."

Already looking forward to next year
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Today is listening day as I picked up the latest releases by Beardspace, Thank You Scientist and Miriodor and need to check if they are as good on disc as on stage. Probably need to pick up the new Oblivion Sun based on the performance though I have heard mixed reviews. I'll go back to Simak Dialog to try and work out why I was more impressed with them on disc than on stage. I already have all the latest Herd Of Instincts & Corima and won't be getting the Mavara.

That's a pretty good strike rate for me for a festival that isn't particularly avant focused.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Glad everyone had a good time - I was sorry to not be there!

How long ago was Oblivion Sun announced? I feel like I didn't know they were playing at ProgDay, but I'm not always good at remembering announced lineups so I could be wrong.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ian, did you stay at the Comfort Suites? If so, which restaurants did you hit up near there? They're a tad on the cheesy side, however, it's always enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post

Corima wins big for the sound check surprise! BAM!

Mark
    Definitely. As soon as Corima finished their second 10-second blast through the sound check, my friend Mark immediately jumped up and went to buy their disc. He said he was afraid there would be none left if he waited. He was right...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ian, did you stay at the Comfort Suites? If so, which restaurants did you hit up near there? They're a tad on the cheesy side, however, it's always enjoyable.
    Yes I was in the Comfort Suites, I ate at the Red Robin and Outback, they were fine, Steve F was singing the praises of a Mexican up the road that apparently had a killer Mariachi band.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    Definitely. As soon as Corima finished their second 10-second blast through the sound check, my friend Mark immediately jumped up and went to buy their disc. He said he was afraid there would be none left if he waited. He was right...
    There was certainly a collective "What The F...!" when they dived full tilt into their sound check. Saw loads of people scrambling to get seated.
    Ian

Closely on the heels of Dr. Nerve, Corima gets my vote for most unforgettable PD sound check evah!

For those who were there and remember, Dr. Nerve did their own unique trick, launching suddenly and without context into the most fucked up convoluted rhythm, horns a blazin'. In the moment, I didnt know if it was the most brilliant, or idiotic thing Ive ever heard. Corima wins thru sheer blast power, playing one of those End-of-the-World passages that usually end an epic suite, out of nowhere, at dizzying speed. I thought "that's probably how they will end the show". But nope, it was just the beginning to one of their songs. The beginning!

First off, a big round of Thanks to Michael, Deb, Helaine, and all of the other unpaid volunteers involved for another fantastic festival.
    I'm glad to hear the discussions for next year already taking place.

I had a blast.

Food vendor was the Greek caterer and they were quite good.

Sound was great.

Bands were (for my taste) almost all uniformly very good to superb.

I agree with these statements 100%

I was only familiar with 2 bands on the proper festival (Miriodor and Oblivion Sun) so I intentionally did not chase any of the song samples and wanted to approach this with a clean slate, I even avoided the Progday site because I wanted to see the new artwork on the shirt (was not expecting the frog power trio, brilliant!).
    If you'd ask me i'd say a series of home runs with a couple of grand slams, this may have been one of the strongest lineups yet.

Due to a delayed flight we missed the Friday night show, we really wanted to see Dreadnaught but it just didn't work out. Sounds like they were even better than last year.

re: Thank You Scientist

any time you see a band where I and George Roldan are standing next to each other, both of us bouncing up and down nearly 'pogo style' to the music means you got a band who can reach a broad swath of fans!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

any time you see a band where I and George Roldan are standing next to each other, both of us bouncing up and down nearly 'pogo style' to the music means you got a band who can reach a broad swath of fans!

and a big on that one
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Now that is funny.........but I agree, of all of the bands that have played ProgDay over the years I think these guys could have a real shot at mainstream success if they ever had some exposure. They really did seem to appeal to just about everybody, which is very rare in our little prog rock world.

Steve Sly

Was listening to the Thank You Scientist album today, holds up very well but they were certainly more impressive live.
    Ian