Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coverdale/Page and Plant/Page

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I like Clarksdale a lot. It doesn't rock out like the Zep of old, but it sounds like they were going for a mature, moody, Jeff Buckley meets Presence type thing and if you take it on those terms it comes off pretty well. If you want to hear Plant wail and Page twiddle his fingers then you've still got your copy of Led Zeppelin II.
    Walking Into Clarksdale was LZ real swan song, not In through.. or Coda.

Coverdale / Page = hair metal / cock rock from the original fathers of the style.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Coverdale/Page is a good record, certainly better than that Firm album IMHO. I could have done without a couple of the tracks which feel like Whitesnake rejects ('Feelin' Hot' for instance), but 'Shake My Tree', 'Take Me For A Little While', 'Over Now', 'Don't Leave Me This Way', all work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Coverdale/Page is a good record, certainly better than that Firm album IMHO. I could have done without a couple of the tracks which feel like Whitesnake rejects ('Feelin' Hot' for instance), but 'Shake My Tree', 'Take Me For A Little While', 'Over Now', 'Don't Leave Me This Way', all work for me.
    Agreed but adding the last track which was a borderline epic: "Whisper a Prayer for the Dying".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Good album but bad timing....that style of hair metal was over by the late 80's and the audience for the album was limited by then .... if the Page Coverdale album came out right after the big Whitesnake album in 87 it would have been much better received and would have sold better then it did ....

... and it would have totally looked like Page was "cashing in" on Whitesnake's big album success.

Despite the troubling 80's hair metal-style production and some fairly cringe-inducing lyrics, C/P isn't a terrible album, to be sure. I find JP's guitarwork surprisingly good on this, especially the acoustic work. Coverdale always did have a great voice, too. Robert Plant was a bit taken aback by it and said at the time that Jimmy had "an odd sense of humor." Of DC, he commented, "In England, he's called 'David Coverversion'. Before, he was Paul Rodgers. Now he's me. Ten years from now he'll be George Michael."

I'd rather compare Coverdale Page with Firm albums ( Rodgers-Page), than to Plant/Page. Whitesnake and Led Zep are in different leagues for me.