Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Six Decades! Bands that have released new material in every one til now......

Six Decades! Bands that have released new material in every one til now......

I am trying to think of all the bands (as an entity) that have released new material in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s.....

Yes is the only band that I can think of that have put an album out of new material in every one.

Fleetwood Mac almost did the same: the only exception to Yes is that their release of new material in the 10s is a four-song EP

The Rolling Stones and Black Sabbath have put out new songs in every decade, but "new material" is limited to bonus tracks on what would normally be called a compilation/best of/hits repackaging. Sabbath did not have a studio album or EP of new material in the 00s, The Rolling Stones do not have a full album or EP of new material in the 10s.

Am I missing anybody?

Only two others come to mind that have put out bona fide studio albums of new music in every decade since the 60s:

Le Orme
    Fairport Convention

Jethro Tull if you count TAAB2, and King Crimson if you count Scarcity of Miracles... But I wouldn't count those.

Boy we PEers have too much time on our hands!

King Crimson could meet your criteria if they record this decade (as rumored). I can think of surviving jazz artists like John McLaughlin who have recorded six decades. Wayne Shorter has 7 decades.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Yes

Chicago, if you count their most recent Christmas album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Renaissance and Deep Purple.

Little Feat missed the mark by two years, releasing their debut in '71... but they come close!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NRBQ
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Beach Boys?

Neil Young & Bob Dylan have if you want to think of them as a band.

Donovan
    What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid (1965)
    Fairytale (1965)
    Sunshine Superman (1966)
    Mellow Yellow (1967)
    A Gift from a Flower to a Garden (1967)
    The Hurdy Gurdy Man (1968)
    Barabajagal (1969)
    Open Road (1970)
    H.M.S. Donovan (1971)
    Cosmic Wheels (1973)
    Essence to Essence (1973)
    7-Tease (1974)
    Slow Down World (1976)
    Donovan (1977)
    Neutronica (1980)
    Love Is Only Feeling (1983)
    Lady of the Stars (1984)
    One Night in Time (1993)
    Sutras (1996)
    Pied Piper (2002)
    Sixty Four (2004)
    Brother Sun, Sister Moon (2004)
    Beat Cafe (2004)
    Ritual Groove (2010)
    The Sensual Donovan (2012)
    Shadows of Blue (2013)

Too lazy to look, but what about Wishbone Ash or Status Quo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Too lazy to look, but what about Wishbone Ash or Status Quo?
    Wishbone Ash just missed the mark with their debut released in 1970. Status Quo definitely counts.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Santana?

More jazzers - Herbie Hancock, The Art Ensemble of Chicago (if they record this decade), Peter Brotzman, Anthony Braxton, Bobby Hutcherson, Terje Rypdal, McCoy Tyner (just missed - 2009), Muhal Richard Abrams.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

John Mayall
    Last edited by walt; 09-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Golden Earring

David Bowie.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I think if we include solo artists, jazzmen, etc., there are likely to be quite a lot, even going back to the 1950s as PY has pointed out. But if we stick to bands, we've probably got most of 'em. I never knew Golden Earring and NRBQ went back that far...

Almost Magma (1970 for their first).
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    King Crimson could meet your criteria if they record this decade (as rumored). I can think of surviving jazz artists like John McLaughlin who have recorded six decades. Wayne Shorter has 7 decades.
    Yeah, they certainly came to mind

I mentioned earlier how Fleetwood Mac has an EP to show for this decade but, like King Crimson, they are "rumored" (pun intended) to be making a new full-length album as well

BB King has six decades, starting in the 50s, but has nothing in the 10s......George Clinton also has 6 decades under some variation of the Parliament name ( The Parliaments, Parliament, P-Funk All Stars, New P, etc)...granted, Im looking more for bands with one moniker as the entity regardless of lineup

5 decades is a feat among itself and I can think of quite a few, several already mentioned. I think ZZ Top is the longest at 5 decades with the original debut album lineup intact with 0 lineup changes throughout the band's history.

Rush is certainly right behind them in that regard, with only one lineup change from the debut album lineup (right after it, too!).....and I think Rush is certainly one of the most prolific, if not the most prolific, in terms of studio releases within 5 decades

What about Gong? Its hard to figure out what discography to look at
    Last edited by klothos; 09-02-2013 at 06:54 PM.

I checked their website and it looks like Strawbs sneak in.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Neil Young & Bob Dylan have if you want to think of them as a band.
    McCartney comes close; his first official solo release came out in 1970. But, (from wiki)
    "The Family Way" is a soundtrack recording composed by Paul McCartney, released in January 1967. The album is the soundtrack to the 1966 film of the same name, directed by Roy Boulting and starring Hayley Mills. The album was released under the name The George Martin Orchestra, The Family Way (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).
    If you add the fact that he stills performs Beatles tunes during his solo shows, songs that he wrote or cowrote, then add Macca to this list.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Let's not forget that most singers front bands

David Bowie

And I've got a SEVEN Decader!!!!

Cliff Richard!
    Last edited by PeterG; 09-03-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Paul

Who, Anka or McCartney?

Both?