Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haken-The Mountain on 9/3/13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    This album is amazingly good! The first progmetal album in ages that has excited me. Previous Haken albums were ok but The Mountain is hot!
    I agree. Picked up another of theirs (Visions) after I listened to The Mountain, and while it's impressive, it's not the excellent effort the Mountain is. Wow.

Banned

The vid gives me a Bo Rap vibe.

They've just lost their bassist. Strange timing, as their momentum continues to build, but looks like he didn't want to commit to a busy year of touring in 2014.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They've just lost their bassist. Strange timing, as their momentum continues to build, but looks like he didn't want to commit to a busy year of touring in 2014.
    It can not be easy for a prog band to have to hire someone new on a dime like that. "Here are all these complicated parts. Can you learn them in a week?" Even a real pro like Jeff Berlin was reading sheet music on stage when he subbed for Tony Levin in ABWH in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Maybe a RoSfest appearance in '14? George?
    15 would work for me as well. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Maybe a bit strong/heavy, loud for most of the women-folk.

Tom was more of a guitarist. But three guitarists in one band - one too many. I'll be looking forward to another To-Mera coming out sooner rather than later. What you think, Jennings is coming from strength to strength. It's a shame this thread is so short. Deserves a lot more attention. More than bulging DT saga.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    It's a shame this thread is so short. Deserves a lot more attention. More than bulging DT saga.
    Indeed! I find The Mountain every way superior compared to the new Dream Theater album.

This thread deserves more attention because this is a really nice album. To compare to DT is not necessary.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    This thread deserves more attention because this is a really nice album. To compare to DT is not necessary.
    If I had a nickel for everytime I have said this only to find out later that I am being unreasonable to expect a thread to stay on the same band. Don't say I didn't warn you. lol

I have been listening to the new Haken for several weeks , and it gets better with every listen. I credit hearing the entire album on progrock magazine to me making the purchase. It is likely to be close to the top album of the year IMO. A lot of good elements to be found listening to The Mountain.

I remember how I bought Aquarius a few years back. Was going through mp3 and while still at song #2, i hit the Amazon's buy button. No regrets since then. That said, Because It's There doesnt quite hit that sweet spot of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    If I had a nickel for everytime I have said this only to find out later that I am being unreasonable to expect a thread to stay on the same band. Don't say I didn't warn you. lol
    LOL...true. But I guess it probably IS unreasonable for comparisons not be made. The connections between Haken and the style Dream Theater have long been proponents of is unmistakable. To say one is inherently better than the other is a debate no one will win.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    And yet the last time that happened, you were introduced to Haken, who you now like a lot, after saying "Who the hell is Haken, can't the DT thread just be about DT?" (paraphrasing) - If I were you, I'd welcome natural shifts in conversation, as they can lead to such discoveries. One of the best things about PE, IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And yet the last time that happened, you were introduced to Haken, who you now like a lot, after saying "Who the hell is Haken, can't the DT thread just be about DT?" (paraphrasing) - If I were you, I'd welcome natural shifts in conversation, as they can lead to such discoveries. One of the best things about PE, IMO.
    + Sideways "8"

from Haken to To-Mera... Henshal/Mclean baby. Exile carries a lot of Hakenisms. What is you fav Mountain track? Mine is Falling Back. Jennings is pure class there. At 1:28 how he's going seamlessly into falcetto... wow. And re Visions... it's on par with Mountain if not better,On Cospirancy,at 12:30 that is the best 3/4 ever, in history as we know it. and then Aquarius. Sun brings tears to your eyes and that slide guitar solo. it's not about how fast you can burn your frets, really. Inspiration is the key.

Crazy-ass good. In my top 10 as well.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Loving this.