Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's that time again: Italian Prog suggestions

More recent and more lush than their 70's work:
    Le Orme: Elementi, L'Infinito

New Trolls' latest: Concerto Grosso n.3

Museo Rosenbach: Barbarica
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'll make this simple, here is what I own already:

Banco - Debut through Di Terra, though I'm missing Garofano Rosso.
    PMF - Storia through Jet Lag
    Le Orme - Il Fume through L'infinito - I do not care for the 70's era of them, believe it or not.

Acqua Fragile - all
    Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
    Il Baletto di Bronzo - Ys

Accordo Dei Contrari - Kublai
    Consorzio Acqua Potabile (CAP) - Robin Delle Stelle, Il Bianco Regno Di Dooha - I'd love to have their debut, Nei Gorghi del Tempo, but it's OOP.

Il Castello di Atlante - Sono Io Il Signore Delle Terre A Nord, L'Ippogrifo, Come il Seguitare Delle Stagioni, Quintessenza, Passo Dopo Passo

Deus Ex Machina - all
    D.F.A. - all
    Finesterre - debut and In Ogni Luogo
    Locanda delle Fate - all
    La Maschera Di Cera - all
    Mad Crayon - Diamanti
    Metamorfosi - Inferno, Paeadiso
    Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
    New Trolls - Concerto Grosso 1 and 2
    Quella Vechia Locanda - all
    RDM - Contaminazione
    Rustichelli & Bordini - Opera Prima
    La Torre del Alchimista -all
    The Watch - Ghost, Vacuum, Primitive, plus The Night Watch
    Yugen - Labirinto d'Acqua

So, based on this, what do you experts suggest?
    Cervelo - Melos
    Osanna as mentioned above
    Cherry 5 - st
    Etna - As mentioned above
    Nova - Vimana/Blink/Wings of Love
    SKE - 1000 Autunni 2011
    Jetlag - 2001 - Delusiones Optica

As for Progmetal, knowing you like it:

Atto IV - 2011 - Shattered Lines
    Daedalus - 2011 - Motherland
    Heart of Sun - st
    mind key - pulse for a graveheart
    Madsword - The Global Village
    Stramonio - 2000 - Seasons of Imagination
    Soul Secret - Flowing Portraits - 2007
    Solid Vision - 2006 - Hurricane
    Solid Vision - 2010 - Sacrifice
    Ora Nombro - between man and machine
    Moonlight Comedy - 2009 - The Life Inside
    Arti + Mestieri - Giro di Valzer per domani, as good as Tilt!
    Garden Wall
    Evil Wings
    Dominici - 03 A Trilogy - part 2 - 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Cervelo - Melos

Solid Vision - 2006 - Hurricane
    Solid Vision - 2010 - Sacrifice

Dominici - 03 A Trilogy - part 2 - 2007
    Isn't Solid Vision the band for the Dominici discs? I don't own them, but have heard some clips which I liked. Never cared for Charlie's voice much on the DT debut, but I'd overlook it for music that strong.

Great suggestions, keep em coming! I had posted a similar thread a couple years back and saved most of the suggestions and have referred to it many times. It definitely led me to some quality purchases.

My all time Italian favourite:
    Franco Battiato - Fetus, Pollution, Sulle corde di Aries. A bit different from your average Italoprog. Hard to describe really, better just have a listen:

Other favourites (many of them mentioned already)
    Alphataurus - s/t
    Il Paese dei Balocchi - s/t
    Opus Avantra - Introspezione, Lord Cromwell Plays Suite for Seven Vices (Supposedly mixing classical (Opus) with avantgarde (Avan) and traditional (Tra), but certainly leaning more towards the avantgarde)
    Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun
    Apoteosi - s/t
    Campo di Marte - s/t
    Murple - Io sono Murple (Murple is a penguin who escapes from a zoo, I believe, and after a long journey ends up in a circus! Strange story, but excellent music)
    Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz

And a few slightly more obscure ones:
    Pierpaolo Bibbò - Diapason
    Emilio Locurcio - L'Eliogabalo: Operetta Iperrealista (A hyperrealistic operetta? Yep, that's exactly what this sounds like! Members of Pierrot Lunaire play on this, too)
    Enzo Capuano - Storia Mai Scritta (Towards the folk end of the prog spectrum. Very atmospheric album)
    Roberto Cacciapaglia - Sei note in logica (Progressive in my book, but most people would probably file this under electronica)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Areknames seconded! Actually, although "Love Hate Round Trip" is their best, all three albums are absolutely great! As for Nouva Era, mentioned a couple of times, my favorites are the second and third album. Avoid the recent s/t album released a couple of years ago, which has newly recorded versions of the older stuff. It's worse than Darwin '91.

Glad I saw Il Paesi Dei Balocchi mentioned once again. Put that on top of your list too, next to Alphataurus and Maxophone.

Let us know what you've discovered on occasion. Who cares if this thread is revived once every month?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Let us know what you've discovered on occasion. Who cares if this thread is revived once every month?
    I'll do that. I don't plan on buying a lot this fall, but I think a couple Italian titles are in order, and I'm sure a few of these already mentioned will fit the bill.

sn't Solid Vision the band for the Dominici discs? I don't own them, but have heard some clips which I liked. Never cared for Charlie's voice much on the DT debut, but I'd overlook it for music that strong.
    You are correct, very talented band, the Dominici cds(two) of them are featuring the complete instrumental line up of Solid Vision, truth be told, the SV singer is much more tolerable than Dominici to my ears.

OK, I just ordered three 70's releases, all as Amazon MP3's, and very cheap, about 18 bucks total. They are:

Alphataurus
    Murple
    Maxophone

I'll let you guys know what I think, but I did love the samples.

Also picked up a couple current Italian albums, the new one from Il Tempio Delle Clessidre, as I already enjoy the debut. Also, I picked up a cd of Ingranaggi Della Valle - In Hoc Signo, which had a great review on Laser's Edge. Took a chance on that one, did not hear any samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I bought Le Orme's Felona E Sorona several years ago and just didn't like it. I was expecting something more lush, instead what I heard was a three piece band that really did sound like a three piece. Nice melodies, but I wanted something with a bit more fire and a fuller sound. I do like some mellow Italian prog, as Quella Vechia Locanda fits the bill nicely for me. But that Le Orme album didn't do anything for me. I did like their Nearfest performance, and that convinced me to pick up some of their later era. I may one day revisit the old stuff, but it seems there is far more for me to explore in the Italian scene for now.
    I don't care for Felona/Sorona much either, and I like the one before it only slightly more. But have you heard Contrappunti? IMO it's their best album by a lot.

Formula 3: (Sognando e Resognando; and maybe La Grande Casa); Celeste (Principe di un Giorno); Il Volo (s/t and, already mentioned, Essere o Non Essere).

I forgot to add these new (old) titles to my iPod, so I will be listening to them starting tomorrow, should make an enjoyable commute to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't care for Felona/Sorona much either, and I like the one before it only slightly more. But have you heard Contrappunti? IMO it's their best album by a lot.
    This is the album that put Le Orme on the map. And La Mashera Di Cera latest is a tribute to this album.

Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
    get Giro Di Valzer Per Domani as well... nearly as great as Tilt
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Etna - one off 70's fusion grea stuff
    Dedalus - more great 70's fusion
    Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    Banco-Garofano Rosso
    Il Baricentro-Sconcerto
    Osanna-Milano Calibro 9, L'Uomo
    Latte e Miele-Papillon
    The above plus

the two Il Volo albums
    and
    the two Quella Vecchia Locanda albums
    and
    the first two Nuova Era (90s band) albums

the rest of the recommendations in this thread are third rate also-rans IMO ... yes, even Area, which had brilliant moments on their albums but unfortunately they mixed in WAY too many stupid (read; trying too hard to be "different") moments to make any of their albums a completely great experience
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

the two Il Volo albums
    and
    the two Quella Vecchia Locanda albums
    and
    the first two Nuova Era (90s band) albums

the rest of the recommendations in this thread are third rate also-rans IMO ... yes, even Area, which had brilliant moments on their albums but unfortunately they mixed in WAY too many stupid (read; trying too hard to be "different") moments to make any of their albums a completely great experience
    I already own both Quella Vecchia albums, mentioned in my first posting. And just last night I bought the 1995 album from Nuova Era, as an MP3. I couldn't find samples for Il Volo, but I like the descriptions I read. But really now, saying most of the recommendations here are third rate albums is a bit much, even for you. Lots of classics mentioned, and many bands highly respected on PE. You don't like Area, fine, but to call them 3rd rate?

And from what I bought the other night, I've listened to all of Alphataurus and LOVED it! The vocals are incredible, and it's some intense and rather dark symphonic prog. La Machera di Cera play in similar vein, and I'm a huge fan of them already. Listening right now to Maxophone, digging this too. Looking forward to the Murple album, likely for the drive home tonight.

get Giro Di Valzer Per Domani as well... nearly as great as Tilt
    I really want to get this, but it's only available as a very expensive import. Tilt is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    This is the album that put Le Orme on the map. And La Mashera Di Cera latest is a tribute to this album.
    Yet I love the La Mashera Di Cera album, go figure. Actually it's a no brainer, as they have a much harsher, darker tone than Le Orme, which I tend to prefer.

I already own both Quella Vecchia albums, mentioned in my first posting. And just last night I bought the 1995 album from Nuova Era, as an MP3. I couldn't find samples for Il Volo, but I like the descriptions I read. But really now, saying most of the recommendations here are third rate albums is a bit much, even for you. Lots of classics mentioned, and many bands highly respected on PE. You don't like Area, fine, but to call them 3rd rate?

And from what I bought the other night, I've listened to all of Alphataurus and LOVED it! The vocals are incredible, and it's some intense and rather dark symphonic prog. La Machera di Cera play in similar vein, and I'm a huge fan of them already. Listening right now to Maxophone, digging this too. Looking forward to the Murple album, likely for the drive home tonight.
    everyone is entitled to their opinion... and taste! I find Maxaphone and Alphataurus expendable and Area, while scorchingly great in parts, their albums are all ruined by the stupid bits.

everyone is entitled to their opinion... and taste! I find Maxaphone and Alphataurus expendable and Area, while scorchingly great in parts, their albums are all ruined by the stupid bits.
    Listening to Alphataurus again as I type this, I like this album a LOT! Maxophone is kind of a mixed bag, as towards the end of the album they seemed to be running out of ideas. But I do like most of the album. Listened to Murple last night before and after the Morglbl show, I really loved this one. Only one negative for Murple, aside from the unfortunate name, its the inclusion of a horribly recorded live track. It's bead even by bootleg standards. Thankfully it's one song, and it's getting deleted, never need to hear it again.

The Nuova Era album is really good, I love the keyboards on this, definitely ELP inspired RPI. I checked samples for another album of theirs but wasn't crazy about it. But "Il passo del soldato", definitely a very worthy purchase.

Also listened to the new Il Tempio Delle Clessidre, which is as expected, another gem. I will say I'm not as crazy about the new vocalist. He replaced the guy from Museo Rosenbach, and isn't bad, but.... Still very good album.

Ingranaggi Della Valle - In Hoc Signo -just came in the mail, have not listened yet.

Yet I love the La Mashera Di Cera album, go figure. Actually it's a no brainer, as they have a much harsher, darker tone than Le Orme, which I tend to prefer.
    The La Maschera album borrows heavily on the musical themes of the Le Orme album. If you haven't already, you may want to spin F&S again. I played both albums back to back the other night and it was quite enjoyable.

i suggest you "celeste"

chalkpie
    Cervello - Melos
    Alusa Fallax - Intorno alla mia cattiva educazione
    Ossana - Palepoli

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I bought Le Orme's Felona E Sorona several years ago and just didn't like it. I was expecting something more lush, instead what I heard was a three piece band that really did sound like a three piece. Nice melodies, but I wanted something with a bit more fire and a fuller sound. I do like some mellow Italian prog, as Quella Vechia Locanda fits the bill nicely for me. But that Le Orme album didn't do anything for me. I did like their Nearfest performance, and that convinced me to pick up some of their later era. I may one day revisit the old stuff, but it seems there is far more for me to explore in the Italian scene for now.
    Don't give up on Le Orme just yet. I'm not a huge fan of Felona e Sorona either (though it is the standard recommended starting point), but there are some other very good albums in their catalog. I'd recommend "Contrappunti" (especially the title track and "Maggio"), Uomo di Pezza (especially the song "Breve Immagine"), and Florian (though I'm not familiar enough with it to pick out a specific song).

Here is an update of what I presently own (and really like), I added a few titles since I originally started this thread:

Banco - Debut through Di Terra, and no longer missing Garofano Rosso.
    PMF - Storia through Jet Lag
    Le Orme - Il Fume through L'infinito - I do not care for the 70's era of them, believe it or not.

Acqua Fragile - all
    Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
    Alphataurus
    Il Baletto di Bronzo - Ys
    Accordo Dei Contrari - Kublai, Kinesis
    Consorzio Acqua Potabile (CAP) - Robin Delle Stelle, Il Bianco Regno Di Dooha - I'd love to have their debut, Nei Gorghi del Tempo, but it's OOP.
    Il Castello di Atlante - Sono Io Il Signore Delle Terre A Nord, L'Ippogrifo, Come il Seguitare Delle Stagioni, Quintessenza, Passo Dopo Passo
    Deus Ex Machina - all
    D.F.A. - all
    Finesterre - debut and In Ogni Luogo
    Ingranaggi Della Valle - In Hoc Signo
    Locanda delle Fate - all
    La Maschera Di Cera - all
    Mad Crayon - Diamanti
    Maxophone
    Metamorfosi - Inferno, Paeadiso
    Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
    Murple - Io sono Murple
    New Trolls - Concerto Grosso 1 and 2