Thread: Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin

Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin

Their collaboration on the song, "The World Spins So Slow", is one of the most beautiful compositions I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. I love music you can immerse yourself in and allow it to take you on a journey. Stunning.

That is a lovely song. Anything by Stewart & Gaskin is an essential purchase for me.

Another really beautiful song by them is Cloth of Heaven from Spin, as is Amelia and Green and Blue.

Lovely song indeed. They are a great duo. As Far As Dreams Can Go is my favorite. Soul tingling!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

"Henry & James" is bestest for moi.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Grey Skies and Mr. Theremin are some other beautiful tunes of theirs. The Big Idea is by far my favorite Stewart/Gaskin album; great stuff! I wasn't crazy about their last album though; maybe I need to give it another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I wasn't crazy about their last album though; maybe I need to give it another chance.
    As with all of their releases, Green and Blue seems to be a mixed bag, but the title track is definitely worth another listen. My favorite is Spin but Big Idea is a fairly close second.

The World Spins So Slow: beautiful. Goosebumps. Thanks for posting that.

Big fan: Dave Stewart is probably one of my favorite 70's prog-related keyboardists. Every album has lots to love.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I wasn't crazy about their last album though; maybe I need to give it another chance.
    I had a problem with it at first. I couldn't figure out why. All the songs are good. Then I did a very slight resequence, removed the cover song, then it worked as an album.

'Green and Blue' grew on me more than the others, which I liked more right off the bat. I don't know why, it just really clicked with me on about the 4th listen. Of course, it was twilight, I was driving. Just really captured me.

Dave Stewart (ex-Bruford) & Barbara Gaskin interview: Finding pop after prog

An interview with Dave Stewart (formerly of Bruford, Uriel, Egg, Khan, Hatfield and the North, National Health) and Barbara Gaskin (formerly of Spirogyra and Hatfield and the North) by Osamu Masui of Rockin' On magazine. The interview was done on Mar. 4, 1987. Steve Harris interpreted.

Another Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin interview (1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQyX5GHo7LY

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    Their collaboration on the song, "The World Spins So Slow", is one of the most beautiful compositions I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. I love music you can immerse yourself in and allow it to take you on a journey. Stunning.
    The video is not available. Have it on CD though and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I had a problem with it at first. I couldn't figure out why. All the songs are good. Then I did a very slight resequence, removed the cover song, then it worked as an album.
    New track list?

Like I wrote---2 and a half years ago! "a very slight resequence"

1.Jupiter Rising
    2. Walnut Tree Walk
    3. Let Me Sleep Tonight
    4. Green & Blue
    5. Any Guru
    6. Rat Circus
    7. Bed of Leaves
    8. The Sweetwater Sea

This works for me, your results may vary.