Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Lighted Stage

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benson View Post
    For those who only saw the film and crave more, there is a ton of additional material on DVD extras.
    Yes, that sounds like what I was looking for. I don't own the DVD, so I was not aware of the extras. Hopefully there is more discussion of the albums from GUP forward that did not get much attention in the original cut.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I really liked watching that old footage with John Rutsey. They treated the guy with some respect. I know some people just think of John as a "footnote" in Rush's history. People forget that Rush was formed in the late 60s and John Rutsey was a founding member. Now, my guess is that they might've sugar coated the reasoning behind getting rid of John. But as history shows us, the right drummer came at the right time.
    They've always been pretty consistent in explaining Rutsey's departure. He wasn't fired; he left of his own accord. He didn't want to commit to being a touring musician, and possibly couldn't because of his diabetes. In fact, it threw the band for a loop when he left, since they had just started to break through to American radio.

Rutsey was no Neil Peart, but he did some quality drumming on that first album, which often gets overshadowed by the more bombastic material that came afterward.

I enjoyed the documentary a lot, and I've only seen the broadcast version. It's pretty awesome that there's footage of Alex being a whiny teenage musician at the dinner table.

I loved the film and I thought the second DVD was as good as the first. Some pretty funny shit in there. The dinner scene was really cool, watching them get progressively blasted throughout. (Yes I consider them progressive even at dinner!)
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was at the world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival with my son. Alex and Geddy were there too! Very cool.
    Did either one of them know how to re-glaze a tub?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    I really enjoyed this film and it renewed my interest I Rush after it being dormant for many years. The one thing I found ironic in the film was Neil's reluctance to speak to fans and other admiring musicians. He sure didn't seem to mind talking to the the camera...
    Aren't talking to fans and doing interviews two different things?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yes, that sounds like what I was looking for. I don't own the DVD, so I was not aware of the extras. Hopefully there is more discussion of the albums from GUP forward that did not get much attention in the original cut.
    There are some nice "deleted scenes" and other stuff on the DVD bonus disc, but there's not much in terms of discussing the albums from GUP onwards (there's a discussion of the "Roll the Bones" rap, is about it).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    They've always been pretty consistent in explaining Rutsey's departure. He wasn't fired; he left of his own accord. He didn't want to commit to being a touring musician, and possibly couldn't because of his diabetes. In fact, it threw the band for a loop when he left, since they had just started to break through to American radio.
    In the film, they're pretty clear that they sacked him (to protect his own health).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I think it's great debunking the myth that they were somehow aloof, & stand-offish - they're clearly just 3 pretty ordinary guys who goof around a lot & have fun doing what they love. I remember when that Runaways thing came out about them pissing on Rush's guitars because, allegedly, the guys had been shitty towards them & their abilities while supporting Rush. I thought it was pretty unlikely at that time, but when I saw this, I thought it there was definitely no way that these guys would be so crass towards another band.

Great film, great extras, great band

They've always been pretty consistent in explaining Rutsey's departure. He wasn't fired; he left of his own accord.
    In the film, they're pretty clear that they sacked him (to protect his own health).

Henry
    So which one is it? He left of his own accord, or he was sacked?

I think he was fired, not only for his health but Geddy and Alex wanted to get more experimental and stretch out beyond the simpler type of heavy rock they were doing with Rutsey in the band. Regardless of how, or why John was let go, my point is that the film did him justice. They didn't just brush him away as if he never existed. I only brought this up because there was a thread about a year ago where everyone just acted is if John Rutsie was some "footnote" to Rush's history. I sat in amazement reading all those posts. One of the founder members just gets brushed aside like refuse. The film did him some justice I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    For me, though, the band got much less interesting from Counterparts onwards. So, I was sort of looking for clues as to what happened then that their music stopped working for me. And I didn't work that out from the film. I wondered whether it was Lifeson having more input into the writing, yet I love Victor and found My Favourite Headache a bit dull.
    Well it's one thing for them to talk about how certain albums far enough back in their history were just a phase and that they've moved on to other things, but they can't really be going around saying that sort of thing about their more recent efforts...at least for another 10 years or so...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    It's pretty awesome that there's footage of Alex being a whiny teenage musician at the dinner table.
    That was from a 1972 TV documentary A called "Come On Children". You can see plenty of different clips on Youtube.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I love the DVD, but I could have done with less commentary from other musicians/celebrities who are fans (especially Jack Black) if it would have meant more commentary from the lads about albums that were glossed over (GUP, HYF, Counterparts, etc.) The commentary from Billy Corgan was the best though, quite heartfelt.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I love the DVD, but I could have done with less commentary from other musicians/celebrities who are fans (especially Jack Black) if it would have meant more commentary from the lads about albums that were glossed over (GUP, HYF, Counterparts, etc.) The commentary from Billy Corgan was the best though, quite heartfelt.
    Yeah, some of the commentary by some of the interviewees was a little irritating. I think it was probably a matter of "who can we interview who are well known in music and media for this documentary?" Jack Black is irritating but he's obviously a huge fan, and he's been pretty well known in the movie making industry so I have no problem with him being in the film. I would've loved to see more metal and prog/rock musicians interviewed. I really didn't care for Gene Simmons either but KISS was a part of Rush's early touring history. I really like that scene where Alex said he played Caress Of Steel (I think it was COS) for Paul Stanley, and then Alex get's this look on his face that's priceless when he says about Paul's reaction to COS...... He just didn't get it Of course he didn't "get it" he's in a group called KISS.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    To tell everything would have taken 24 hours or more. There's always more story; you've got to make choices in what to cover. For example, there wasn't, IIRC, any mention of Jeff Jones, Lindy Young, Joe Perna or Mitchell Bossi. Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure both got little coverage. So, I felt the documentary had to make choices and the end result speaks for itself.

Henry
    Pure BS. I asked for another 2 hours to discuss the albums GUP forward, not an interview with anyone who ever walked past the studio while Rush was inside. The original cut is fine, another cut with the added information ain't that much to ask for.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Aren't talking to fans and doing interviews two different things?
    It is, but it seems like he has a lot to say....... It not like he is introverted.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It is a great rockumentary. My personal opinion is that after watching all of these people go on and on about how the early proggy stuff from 2112 to Moving Pictures influenced them it opened the door for an album like Clockwork Angels, which I consider their most overtly prog rock effort in eons.
    I kind of agree with this - that the sudden increased acceptance and praise made Rush more open to doing a proggy album. "They like us! We can be even weirder!"

Now that they're in the R&R HoF, their next album will be made entirely using sounds made with their bodies (no vocals).

their next album will be made entirely using sounds made with their bodies
    I can see Alex being totally OK with that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    It is, but it seems like he has a lot to say....... It not like he is introverted.
    I believe Neil is introverted. He doesn't give a lot of interviews. Maybe he had to practice not being shy to be interviewed for the doc.

Introverts typically have a lot to say. They just rarely encounter people they feel comfortable saying it to. If an interviewer seems genuinely interested in what they're saying and isn't an annoying douchebag introverts will generally open right up.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Introverts typically have a lot to say. They just rarely encounter people they feel comfortable saying it to.
    This.

Just read Neil's books and blogs - he obviously isn't at a loss for words.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think Neil became more open after the traumas he went through. Maybe he became more comfortable talking about himself after going through some sort-of therapy? Just a guess on my end, as I can't imagine that those horrible events wouldn't change a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I love the DVD, but I could have done with less commentary from other musicians/celebrities who are fans (especially Jack Black) The commentary from Billy Corgan was the best though, quite heartfelt.
    THANK YOU! I can't stand him for longer than 30 seconds. Hey Jack, you don't always have to be 'on'. Just be a fan like everyone else and quit doing your schtick. And yeah I loved Billy Corgan. I was pleasantly surprised by him as I had never heard him even speak before I don't think. Likewise with Trent Reznor, he also came across very genuine. Even Gene Simmons and Sebastian Bach, both bloated personalities, were a treat to hear from. Gene didn't even talk about himself much. I also liked hearing from Kim Mitchell, who was close to the band for many years and fronted a fantastic one himself. Most of the others I could do without for the most part, other than the main behind the scenes guys like Cliff and Ray.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I think the film is great the way it was presented by the director. Sure, there could more of this and more of that, but you can't have everything. Besides, once they hit there stride in the mid 80's all the way through the present (besides Neils tragedies of course), there isn't that much to say album to album. They just kept kicking ass. The most interesting part of any band history is the early years from being nothings to being huge. And this film addressed that very very well.

Different strokes....I've always thought Jack Black was/is hilarious.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Jack Black is hilarious at the end of the Styx album "Cyclorama"